C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM
sped921
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Hello everyone. First post and I need the forums help. Recently bought a 1965 vert, stored in a local garage for the last 25 years. Brakes, fuel,ignition,cooling systems have been rebuilt to provide a safe weekend driver. NOM motor which is a 1971 350 block with GM 492 angle plug heads. I have rebuilt an HEI dist and used the set-up by Lars to get the timing sorted out. She runs like that first hot rod you drove in when you were 16, WOW. I want to make sure I have the correct spark plug in there to match the heat range needed. I don't know too much about the motor other than roller rockers up top, unknown lifters, Holley dbl pump carb, 36'total mechanical timing with an additional 10' from the vacuum can. I tried the AC 45S but they are the large diameter plug and do not fit the 492 heads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which plug would be a good starting point? I am still taking short trips to perform the shakedown on the car so reading the plugs may still be a little premature at this point. Thanks everyone

Eddy
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sped921
Hello everyone. First post and I need the forums help. Recently bought a 1965 vert, stored in a local garage for the last 25 years. Brakes, fuel,ignition,cooling systems have been rebuilt to provide a safe weekend driver. NOM motor which is a 1971 350 block with GM 492 angle plug heads. I have rebuilt an HEI dist and used the set-up by Lars to get the timing sorted out. She runs like that first hot rod you drove in when you were 16, WOW. I want to make sure I have the correct spark plug in there to match the heat range needed. I don't know too much about the motor other than roller rockers up top, unknown lifters, Holley dbl pump carb, 36'total mechanical timing with an additional 10' from the vacuum can. I tried the AC 45S but they are the large diameter plug and do not fit the 492 heads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which plug would be a good starting point? I am still taking short trips to perform the shakedown on the car so reading the plugs may still be a little premature at this point. Thanks everyone

Eddy
Champion J12Y
Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM
sped921
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Thanks so much.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use AC R43TS plugs with my 492 heads. The engine is an LT-1 with 11:1 compression. Should work for you too. If they foul out use the hotter R44 plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads