C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM
sped921
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Hello everyone. First post and I need the forums help. Recently bought a 1965 vert, stored in a local garage for the last 25 years. Brakes, fuel,ignition,cooling systems have been rebuilt to provide a safe weekend driver. NOM motor which is a 1971 350 block with GM 492 angle plug heads. I have rebuilt an HEI dist and used the set-up by Lars to get the timing sorted out. She runs like that first hot rod you drove in when you were 16, WOW. I want to make sure I have the correct spark plug in there to match the heat range needed. I don't know too much about the motor other than roller rockers up top, unknown lifters, Holley dbl pump carb, 36'total mechanical timing with an additional 10' from the vacuum can. I tried the AC 45S but they are the large diameter plug and do not fit the 492 heads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which plug would be a good starting point? I am still taking short trips to perform the shakedown on the car so reading the plugs may still be a little premature at this point. Thanks everyone

Eddy
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by sped921
Hello everyone. First post and I need the forums help. Recently bought a 1965 vert, stored in a local garage for the last 25 years. Brakes, fuel,ignition,cooling systems have been rebuilt to provide a safe weekend driver. NOM motor which is a 1971 350 block with GM 492 angle plug heads. I have rebuilt an HEI dist and used the set-up by Lars to get the timing sorted out. She runs like that first hot rod you drove in when you were 16, WOW. I want to make sure I have the correct spark plug in there to match the heat range needed. I don't know too much about the motor other than roller rockers up top, unknown lifters, Holley dbl pump carb, 36'total mechanical timing with an additional 10' from the vacuum can. I tried the AC 45S but they are the large diameter plug and do not fit the 492 heads. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which plug would be a good starting point? I am still taking short trips to perform the shakedown on the car so reading the plugs may still be a little premature at this point. Thanks everyone

Eddy
Champion J12Y
Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM
sped921
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Thanks so much.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use AC R43TS plugs with my 492 heads. The engine is an LT-1 with 11:1 compression. Should work for you too. If they foul out use the hotter R44 plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads

Quick Reply: spark plug for GM 492 angle plug heads