C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Z51 Package - What is it???

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Army Guy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z51 Package - What is it???

I just bought my vette several months ago and recently sent off for the build sheet and window sticker. Both tell me I have the Z51 package on my car. The dealer never mentioned it to me, all he was talking about was the ZL 465 SLP package. I bought a 06 M6 Coupe that had this package installed from the dealer. The car only had 8,100 miles on it and I got him down to $34,000. So I guess I did good because what I've seen online this SLP package sells for $5,000 and then this Z51 being installed is a added bonus. Cool
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
brian90505
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Z51 is a bonus if you didn't know about it. It will be listed on the option tag in your glove compartment.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

The Z51 package allows you the proper right to run a set of specific badges. It is a prominent option since it cost quite a bit just to run them.

On a more relevant note. Welcome to CF from a fellow Kansas C6 owner.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Army Guy
I just bought my vette several months ago and recently sent off for the build sheet and window sticker. Both tell me I have the Z51 package on my car. The dealer never mentioned it to me, all he was talking about was the ZL 465 SLP package. I bought a 06 M6 Coupe that had this package installed from the dealer. The car only had 8,100 miles on it and I got him down to $34,000. So I guess I did good because what I've seen online this SLP package sells for $5,000 and then this Z51 being installed is a added bonus. Cool
Here's what you get with the z51.

Z51 Performance Package,
performance-oriented package for
the Gymkhana/Autocross
enthusiast; includes extra cooling,
stiffer springs and stabilizer bars,
specific shock absorbers, larger
brakes with cross-drilled rotors,
specific tires and Z51-specific
6-speed manual when ordered with
6-speed manual transmission or
(GU2) performance axle ratio with
6-speed paddle shift automatic
Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It boggles my mind that people can spend that much money on something and not know EXACTLY what they are buying.

However, the Z51 option is a performance package. Included in it are: Stiffer springs and swaybars, wider tires, larger rotors and both a power steering and engine oil cooler. On the manual, there is also different gearing in the transmission for better low-end and a trans cooler. (The auto comes with a trans cooler in all trim packages.)

I think it's THE best "bang for your buck" option available on the car.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 AM
spinalator
Drifting

The cross drilled rotors make the car look better
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SimonStern
It boggles my mind that people can spend that much money on something and not know EXACTLY what they are buying.

However, the Z51 option is a performance package. Included in it are: Stiffer springs and swaybars, wider tires, larger rotors and both a power steering and engine oil cooler. On the manual, there is also different gearing in the transmission for better low-end and a trans cooler. (The auto comes with a trans cooler in all trim packages.)

It's the first I've heard anyone say that the tires wider than standard but they are the F1 Supercar tires which are a softer compound and are a different tread design for more traction. They are the same size as standard though.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Join the Z51 Corvette Owners Group!

Originally Posted by Army Guy
I just bought my vette several months ago and recently sent off for the build sheet and window sticker. Both tell me I have the Z51 package on my car. ....
OK! Now join ALZ51's Social Group: "Z51 Corvette Owners Group!

Go here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ners-only.html

and click on the "Click Here to Join" in the first post!!

Welcome to the Corvette Forum!

Rick
Always Wave!!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
MoVette!
Advanced

Isn't it funny how this package picks up more and different components all the time, like wider tires, badging, etc., etc.!?
I suggest going by the sheet and official Corvette documentation to know what you really got that is different from the base Vette.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonStern

Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

From GM's website
Z51 Performance Package
Performance-oriented package for the Gymkhana/Autocross enthusiast; includes extra cooling, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, specific shock absorbers, larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, specific tires and Z51-specific 6-speed manual when ordered with 6-speed manual transmission or performance axle ratio with 6-speed paddle shift automatic. Not available with Magnetic Selective Ride Control.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blkc6z51
Here's what you get with the z51.

Z51 Performance Package,
performance-oriented package for
the Gymkhana/Autocross
enthusiast; includes extra cooling,
stiffer springs and stabilizer bars,
specific shock absorbers, larger
brakes with cross-drilled rotors,
specific tires and Z51-specific
6-speed manual when ordered with
6-speed manual transmission or
(GU2) performance axle ratio with
6-speed paddle shift automatic
Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Interesting article. http://www.vetteweb.com/features/041...tte/index.html

Corvette Chief Engineer Dave Hill and I talked about the new Z51 package during one leg of the ride and drive. We were in C6 VIN 000001, a LeMans Blue six-speed base suspension coupe. I was (still am) very impressed with the Z51 package and complimented Dave and the entire Corvette engineering team for the great job they'd done, both overall and on the Z51. Dave told me that the Supercar runflats play a major part in how well the package works but also informed that among the many revisions to the C6 suspensions was an increase in travel. Across the board, C6 front suspensions have gained an additional 1/2-inch of travel, while the rear has benefited from 3/4-inch of added travel. Fractions of an inch may not sound significant, but that much-additional range is major gain! And the new Z51 package works so incredibly well that, were I in the position to buy a C6, I wouldn't even consider it without Z51. It's that good!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spinalator
The cross drilled rotors make the car look better
The F55 also has the cross drilled
Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Interesting article. http://www.vetteweb.com/features/041...tte/index.html

Corvette Chief Engineer Dave Hill and I talked about the new Z51 package during one leg of the ride and drive. We were in C6 VIN 000001, a LeMans Blue six-speed base suspension coupe. I was (still am) very impressed with the Z51 package and complimented Dave and the entire Corvette engineering team for the great job they'd done, both overall and on the Z51. Dave told me that the Supercar runflats play a major part in how well the package works but also informed that among the many revisions to the C6 suspensions was an increase in travel. Across the board, C6 front suspensions have gained an additional 1/2-inch of travel, while the rear has benefited from 3/4-inch of added travel. Fractions of an inch may not sound significant, but that much-additional range is major gain! And the new Z51 package works so incredibly well that, were I in the position to buy a C6, I wouldn't even consider it without Z51. It's that good!

I had talked with Dave Hill during the 06' Road Atlanta Petite LeMans (he and a friend had driven his AO Z51 from Detroit) and he explained that his track rats had spent a lot of time and money to get the package right and that he was pleased with the results.

Anyway, enjoy your Vette be it a Z51 or not-its' a great car!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It makes your car as fast as a Z06 and almost as fast as a ZR1 for a fraction of the cost. For proof of this you will have to read the statements and claims of actual Z51 owners.

Some of us hold the opinion that it's nice for the money but since it costs relatively little as an option it's unlikely performance is increased much.

From reading thousands of posts on the subject I can tell you that many report that the tires that come with the option are great for hot dry tracks but dangerous in cold/wet conditions. Also, they wear out very rapidly due to softness.

The best thing that comes with the option, in fact the single thing that seems to REALLY increase performance, is the rear sway bar which is thicker than the base car's.

This part costs less than $200 and is easy to install and that's what some people do. Then again, some people now are skipping the Z51 option sway and using a Z06 part.

And, as one post said, you will learn from detailed reading and research that those rotor holes are for show.

Also, don't be alarmed if your brakes are very noisy. That comes with the package no charge.

Enjoy your car. It's performance is very slightly better than the base model at best, maybe a percent or two.

But Please, don't start calling your car " My Z51". It's a Corvette.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
6SPDRCR
Burning Brakes

HERE WE GO AGAIN.....

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Package - What is it???

Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
It makes your car as fast as a Z06 and almost as fast as a ZR1 for a fraction of the cost. For proof of this you will have to read the statements and claims of actual Z51 owners.

Some of us hold the opinion that it's nice for the money but since it costs relatively little as an option it's unlikely performance is increased much.

From reading thousands of posts on the subject I can tell you that many report that the tires that come with the option are great for hot dry tracks but dangerous in cold/wet conditions. Also, they wear out very rapidly due to softness.

The best thing that comes with the option, in fact the single thing that seems to REALLY increase performance, is the rear sway bar which is thicker than the base car's.

This part costs less than $200 and is easy to install and that's what some people do. Then again, some people now are skipping the Z51 option sway and using a Z06 part.

And, as one post said, you will learn from detailed reading and research that those rotor holes are for show.

Also, don't be alarmed if your brakes are very noisy. That comes with the package no charge.

Enjoy your car. It's performance is very slightly better than the base model at best, maybe a percent or two.

But Please, don't start calling your car " My Z51". It's a Corvette.

Pegging the meter again 06. Say did you ever actually buy a C6 yet?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JJC5
It's the first I've heard anyone say that the tires wider than standard but they are the F1 Supercar tires which are a softer compound and are a different tread design for more traction. They are the same size as standard though.

My bad. I thought I had read that the base suspension had 275's in the rear. I was wrong, and you are correct.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Z51 means your eligible to join the coolest club on the planet.

Imagine in 40 years telling your Grand kids about your Z51 CORVETTE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z51 Package - What is it???