Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

North Carolina antique vehicle registration (question)

Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default North Carolina antique vehicle registration (question)

I just registered my 1968 corvette here in North Carolina yesterday. I received
a license plate and a registration, but I also got an additional form and was told
I needed to get the car inspected before I would receive the NC title.

The inspection is performed by the NC DMV License and Theft Bureau, and I
was told they check the vin (for what I am not sure).

Does anyone know what this inspection entails? My vinplate is fine, so no concerns there. Just not sure what they are looking for. Also, I received a regular license plate for the 68 vette. In fact it is in sequence with the plate they gave me for my 97 lexus at the same time. Are there antique plates available in NC? I do plan to get a pesonalized plate. GR8 68 is not available.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Sorry!! I should have done a search before I started my thread, not after!

Found this very informative post. Not only explained "what", but explained "why"... which is very helpful because one wonders why in the world would they do this?!?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1563476342-post5.html
Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 PM
z10kl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your case with a operable car it should not be a problem, but anyone who has a inoperable car 35 years old with a out of state title. Do not try to title it in NC! If you buy a out of state project plan on spending your money and time working on it while it is still in previous owners name. No other options as the law is now.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I know that the laws have changed and it takes a long time now to register an out of state car as it has to go through an inspection process. As for the tags. You have to maintain the plate that you have but you can keep it in the glove box if anyone asks for it. You can run any year of manufacture tag you want on your 68. It can be from any state as long as it's a 68 plate. If you like I have the bill number and a copy of the bill in my car I can go dig it up if you like.
Congrats on moving to NC..

Dave

Found it... 20-63d

(d) Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear: Provided, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle other than a truck‑tractor, said registration plate shall be attached to the rear of the motor vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck‑tractor shall be attached to the front thereof. Provided further, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle and this motor vehicle is transporting a substance that may adhere to the plate so as to cover or discolor the plate or if the motor vehicle has a mechanical loading device that may damage the plate, the registration plate may be attached to the front of the motor vehicle.

Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.

Last edited by Hitch; 01-01-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:56 AM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing I registered my 65 in 2007, it was easy. I just went to DMV with my WI title, proof of insurance and check book. They issued a new title, plate and said no inspection was needed. The car was not running at the time as it had been in storage for 30 years.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

I don't think the inspection is going to be anything difficult (I hope). The registration process was actually quite simple. I have my new NC plate and registration. I just need to take the vette to Tryon Street for the inspection. Hitch, that is a pretty cool law about being able to display any 1968 plate on the car as long as I keep my NC plate inside the vehicle. I may look around for some 1968 plates.... otherwise I will order a personalized NC plate.

Except it must be annoying to have to show your NC plate to any 10 year old kid that asks to see it!
and produced upon the request of any person.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by PRNDL
I don't think the inspection is going to be anything difficult (I hope). The registration process was actually quite simple. I have my new NC plate and registration. I just need to take the vette to Tryon Street for the inspection. Hitch, that is a pretty cool law about being able to display any 1968 plate on the car as long as I keep my NC plate inside the vehicle. I may look around for some 1968 plates.... otherwise I will order a personalized NC plate.

Except it must be annoying to have to show your NC plate to any 10 year old kid that asks to see it!

Fortunately I've never had someone even ask.. Shoot right now I have a 62 plate made to look like a 66 plate on my car.. No one is going to give you any problems about the plate...

Name:  closeBB66.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  19.7 KB

Dave
Old 01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Dream*66*
Instructor

Default Plates!

There is a site, think it is licenseplate.tv. You can order any year from any state and get it personalized. Use the antique tag for the tax break and keep it in the car. Display the other. Good luck. TC
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
hansenisu
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Dream*66*
There is a site, think it is licenseplate.tv. You can order any year from any state and get it personalized. Use the antique tag for the tax break and keep it in the car. Display the other. Good luck. TC
I've seen that website. Anyone purchased a plate from them? Do they look like the real NC plate for the year advertised?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 AM
cirencester
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Hitch
I know that the laws have changed and it takes a long time now to register an out of state car as it has to go through an inspection process. As for the tags. You have to maintain the plate that you have but you can keep it in the glove box if anyone asks for it. You can run any year of manufacture tag you want on your 68. It can be from any state as long as it's a 68 plate. If you like I have the bill number and a copy of the bill in my car I can go dig it up if you like.
Congrats on moving to NC..

Dave

Found it... 20-63d

(d) Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear: Provided, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle other than a truck‑tractor, said registration plate shall be attached to the rear of the motor vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck‑tractor shall be attached to the front thereof. Provided further, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle and this motor vehicle is transporting a substance that may adhere to the plate so as to cover or discolor the plate or if the motor vehicle has a mechanical loading device that may damage the plate, the registration plate may be attached to the front of the motor vehicle.

Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.
Do I correctly understand that if I keep a properly-registered 1967 antique NC plate in the vehicle, I can display any state, any number, unconnected to any registration, as long as the plate is identified as "67"? Does it have to be an actual 67, or can it simply be made up as 67?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
1truL48
Smokin' BBQ Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
NC Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I might be able to find you a '68 plate from MO. I run year correct MO dealer tags on my Stingray. People ask and I say that is where the car was built...
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by cirencester
Do I correctly understand that if I keep a properly-registered 1967 antique NC plate in the vehicle, I can display any state, any number, unconnected to any registration, as long as the plate is identified as "67"? Does it have to be an actual 67, or can it simply be made up as 67?
That is correct. I have numerous 66 plates from various states that I rotate for display on the car.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
That is correct. I have numerous 66 plates from various states that I rotate for display on the car.
That's pretty cool. I did not know that you could run other state's plates, I thought it was just NC plates being a NC registered car. I like my '66 plate. Ithink I paid $20 for it at the AutoFair a few years back. It's not like brand new but neither is the car!
Name:  P5152121.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  76.6 KB

PRNDL, make sure you check with your counties tax office. When I changed from regular plates to antique plate registration I filled out a form at my county tax office and the vehicle property tax was reduced considerably.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1Sweet66
That's pretty cool. I did not know that you could run other state's plates, I thought it was just NC plates being a NC registered car. I like my '66 plate. Ithink I paid $20 for it at the AutoFair a few years back. It's not like brand new but neither is the car!

PRNDL, make sure you check with your counties tax office. When I changed from regular plates to antique plate registration I filled out a form at my county tax office and the vehicle property tax was reduced considerably.
Yeah I have a collection of plates that I rotate on the car. The statute doesn't specify that it has to be a NC plate.

Get notified of new replies

To North Carolina antique vehicle registration (question)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: North Carolina antique vehicle registration (question)