C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this red light mean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:18 AM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default What does this red light mean?

I've searched through the owners manual but haven't found the answer so I thought I would ask all of you knowledgeable people on the forum.
What does the red light on the right side of my mirror mean? I have the auto dimming/compass/OnStar mirror but do not subscribe to the OnStar service nor did I have it upgraded from analog to digital. TIA!

Here's a pic of the light and after thinking about it, it might just mean that my OnStar is not active since my light is red:

Last edited by AD2VET; 12-31-2008 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

If it's flashing it means slow down because there is a cop trying to pass you.

Keep searching. My manual says:
Mirror Operation
The mirror automatically changes to reduce glare from headlamps behind you. A time delay feature prevents rapid changing from the day to night positions while driving under lights and through traffic.
P (On/Off): The automatic dimming feature is activated when the vehicle is started. The automatic dimming feature is turned on or off by pressing this button located on the lower part of the mirror. Press and hold the button for up to three seconds to turn this feature on or off.
T (Indicator Light): This light will turn on when the automatic dimming feature is active.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:48 PM
108C6
Racer

if the light on the right is red it means onstar is inop. the on on the left is for auto dimming
Old 12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From the OnStar Guide:

System status
On the right side of the OnStar buttons is a System Status light.
Your vehicle runs an OnStar systems check every time you start up.
This light is designed to indicate to you that your OnStar system is
active and ready to make calls. On vehicles with an automatic
dimming rearview mirror, the green light on the left side of the
button indicates that the automatic dimming function is on.
Solid Green - indicates the OnStar system is fully functional
and ready to make or receive calls.
Flashing Green - when you are in a phone call or when
someone is calling you the green light will flash.
Red - indicates that your OnStar system has detected a
problem within the system. Press your OnStar button and
ask your OnStar Advisor to run a diagnostic check. If you
cannot connect to OnStar please visit a dealer for service
as soon as possible.
No Light - this indicates that your OnStar subscription has
expired. All services have been deactivated and are not
functional. Press the blue OnStar button and wait until your
system connects to an Advisor who can renew your
subscription.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,060 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I'm sure GM has many people that proof read that stuff and their writers are smart and really can compose cogent thought but I really think that information could have been written clearer.

System status:
On the right side of the OnStar buttons is a System Status light. Your vehicle runs an OnStar systems check every time you start up. This light is designed to indicate to you that your OnStar system is active and ready to make calls.

Solid Green - indicates the OnStar system is fully functional and ready to make or receive calls.

Flashing Green - when you are in a phone call or when someone is calling you the green light will flash.

Red - indicates that your OnStar system has detected a problem within the system. Press your OnStar button and ask your OnStar Advisor to run a diagnostic check. If you
cannot connect to OnStar please visit a dealer for service as soon as possible.

No Light - this indicates that your OnStar subscription has expired. All services have been deactivated and are not functional. Press the blue OnStar button and wait until your
system connects to an Advisor who can renew your subscription.

On vehicles with an automatic dimming rearview mirror, the green light on the left side of the button indicates that the automatic dimming function is on.

I think that makes much more sense and is easier to read but I could be wrong.

Elmer
Old 12-29-2008, 03:30 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I'm sure GM has many people that proof read that stuff and their writers are smart and really can compose cogent thought but I really think that information could have been written clearer.

System status:
On the right side of the OnStar buttons is a System Status light. Your vehicle runs an OnStar systems check every time you start up. This light is designed to indicate to you that your OnStar system is active and ready to make calls.

Solid Green - indicates the OnStar system is fully functional and ready to make or receive calls.

Flashing Green - when you are in a phone call or when someone is calling you the green light will flash.

Red - indicates that your OnStar system has detected a problem within the system. Press your OnStar button and ask your OnStar Advisor to run a diagnostic check. If you
cannot connect to OnStar please visit a dealer for service as soon as possible.

No Light - this indicates that your OnStar subscription has expired. All services have been deactivated and are not functional. Press the blue OnStar button and wait until your
system connects to an Advisor who can renew your subscription.

On vehicles with an automatic dimming rearview mirror, the green light on the left side of the button indicates that the automatic dimming function is on.

I think that makes much more sense and is easier to read but I could be wrong.

Elmer
As long as your last name isn't Fudd it makes complete sense
Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,060 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
As long as your last name isn't Fudd it makes complete sense

Nope, it's Boggs, so I guess we're good to go.

Elmer
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thanks for the info
Interestingly, the light was green this morning after doing nothing about it and I'm still not a subscriber
Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

As for OnStar.....watch out for them.....without my knowledge they started adding a $16.00 per month charge on my wife's credit/debit card. She was paying the bills and had figured I had authorized the charge to them. I happened to review one of the monthly bills and noticed the charge which I DIDNT want.....the one year trial ran out in October and they started to charge me. When I called them to raise hell they said "oh, we have to just automatically charge you because we cant turn it off in that its an emergency notice system". After about 10 minutes of them trying to get me to subscribe I told them just turn it off and refund all my money. They did in the end. But it really burned me that they would, on their own, just start charging me!

Get notified of new replies

To What does this red light mean?

Quick Reply: What does this red light mean?