C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Techron really work

Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does Techron really work

I'm new to the C5's and read some threads about the gauge problem with C5's. So far, the 99 with 47K miles I just purchased seems OK. Should I treat the car to Techron,is so, where do you purchase it. Parts store like NAPA ? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy it at Autozone. Many folks on CF claim it has resolved problems with the fuel sender gumming up. I use and have not had any fuel gauge problems.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:04 PM
CLEAR
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I always use gas with Techron in it. I have also bought a bottle of it and my guauge still screws up. I did actually buy 2 more bottles of it today at walmart, which was a little cheaper than Advance. I added a bottle today and Im letting the car sit with about a half tank of gas. When I top off in a couple of days I will add another bottle. Fingers Crossed!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I get mine at stores like Advanced Auto or Autozone. It seems to get the sulfer content off from the fuel sending unit. Have had the fuel gauges on my 03 Z and 03 Tahoe start acting weird and the Techron got them working again. It only takes one fill up of high sulfer gas to kill the sending unit in most cars nowadays. It seems like there are random occurrences of high sulfer gas escaping from refineries and causing a lot of fuel gauge problems in the area the refinery supports. Saw this happen in Northwestern PA a couple of years ago. There were hundreds of cars that had problems.

Bill
Old 11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

From what I just read, it's expensive to replace the sending unit. If this seems to help, I guess it is a cheaper repair. Thanks for the responce.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It has fixed my fuel gauge problems. I now use only top-tier gas.

I also put Techron in at each oil change.

GREAT STUFF.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, it definitely seems to work!

I run Chevron 93 in my '00 about 80% of the time, using a little Shell or other good brand occasionally. I have had a couple of occurrances with the fuel guage. The first time, I added a bottle of the Techron ProGuard (bought in a 6-pack at Costo) and the guage was fine for awhile, then acted up again. Another dose of Proguard fixed it for a year or more.
Two weeks ago it really acted up, so I went all out and bought the top-shelf $7 Techron-Plus. Added it to 12 gallons, and the problem instantly went away, and has not returned thus far.

I did a little internet research:
Seems perhaps the cheaper Proguard is a diluted mix, designed mostly for "prevention" of clogged injectors; and the Techron-Plus is the full-strength stuff.
Also, here on the forum, one of the guys posted a bulletin from GM where thry now have their own "Fuel-Conditioner-Plus" that they recommend for keeping guage senders and fuel system components clean of sulphur deposits. Hmmm, rebottled Techron?

My take on this is, I will now add a bottle of Techron Plus at each oil change. I'll use the lesser Proguard on my "lesser" cars.

DG
Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
M_T_0
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the answer is yes. bought the car 4 years ago and filled up with gas from a shell in dallas, on the drive home it started acting up. researched the issue then went to a station with techron in its gas, Chevron and have never had a problem since. (for me it only took adding fuel that had Techron in it)

More Than Zero
Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Friend of mine had the fuel gauge problem and a bottle or two fixed it up.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Chevron gasoline already has techron in it.. It works and you need to use it on a regular basis. I use it every other month.. It is on sale for 5.99 a bottle at autozone.. You have 2 fuel sending units,, one inside gas each tank.. they get sulfer deposits on them, which causes them to get false readings... Look at it as preventive maintanence.. Or you can just do nothing and wait until they are so gummed up with sulfer that Techron won't even work,, Then you can go to the dealership and let them replace 2 sending units for $800.. Not using Techron is like not changing your oil... How far can you go on 1 oil change without ruining your engine? 10k,20k,30k,40k,50k??

Last edited by David426; 11-24-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
aleadfoot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAve had my C5 for 8 years and definitely techtron works and is needed
Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Ok, you convinced me to get a bottle for the car. Do you think it works better to add Techron and let the car sit, or just drive it. It's that time of year when snow is possible.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I use the Progaurd stuff. It is cheap insurance if nothing else!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
St. Jude Donor '13

Bought my car and had sender problems. Read all about Techron here. So I tried it. My problem is resolved. It prolly doesn't matter if the car sits or moves the stuff works. I could argue points on both methods.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
SleepDr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Advance Auto around here(Dothan,AL) has buy 1 get 1 free. $6
Proguard FI Cleaner w/Techron
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM
cobra3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fuel guage

I know you guys are going to laugh but I have had my c5 for two years and I put zmax in the tank on everyother fillup. We use it at the dealership I work at so I get it there and so far have not had any problems. But like everyone else I buy my gas at the same place most every time .
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I had the sender problem start in my car and immediately bought some Techron. Problem solved. I now put a bottle periodically since we have no Chevron stations in my area. If I'm traveling and see a Chevron station, I'll fill up just to get a Techron fix. I also buy it at Walmart or Advance. Have not had any more ocurrences with the gage.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Techron really work

Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 AM
M_T_0
Drifting

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Bought my car and had sender problems. Read all about Techron here. So I tried it. My problem is resolved. It prolly doesn't matter if the car sits or moves the stuff works. I could argue points on both methods.
works better if the car is moving so that the float is moving the contact around to help wipe the deposit away. kind of like letting a dish just sit in water or using a brush on it, which gets the dish clean faster?

More Than Zero
Old 11-25-2008, 01:39 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jump on the Techron band wagon

Good stuff Maynard! Besides using it on a regular basis with all my vehicles, I add Techron and Stabil to the fuel tanks of all the vehicles in winter storage. Cheap insurance.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by M_T_0
works better if the car is moving so that the float is moving the contact around to help wipe the deposit away. kind of like letting a dish just sit in water or using a brush on it, which gets the dish clean faster?

More Than Zero
Depends on the type of crud on the dish. Sometimes it comes cleaner easier if you soak the dish for awhile before you scrub it. Dirty laundry comes cleaner with a soak. I soak carburetor parts in B12 before I clean them. You can argue both sides. Me? I add the techron and drive fast. The faster the better. The speed is for me and not the techron, it works either way. But some would argue aggressive corning is agitation which cleans well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Techron really work