C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix exhaust leak where header meets mid pipe?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
clockworks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix exhaust leak where header meets mid pipe?

Hello,

I just installed the LG Pro long tube headers. There is an exhaust leak on the passenger side where the header clamps up to the mid pipe.

What is the best way to remedy this? Can I just get better clamps from Jegs or something? If so, what are the best clamps to solve this type of problem?

What about using some Permatex RTV? I'd rather not go this route because I'll be doing the work at my friend's garage and Permatex says you need to let the RTV cure for at least 24 hours before driving. I can't really just let my car sit in my friend's garage for a few days. Also, Permatex seems like a PITA... especially if I want to remove the headers later on.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clockworks
Hello,

I just installed the LG Pro long tube headers. There is an exhaust leak on the passenger side where the header clamps up to the mid pipe.

What is the best way to remedy this? Can I just get better clamps from Jegs or something? If so, what are the best clamps to solve this type of problem?

What about using some Permatex RTV? I'd rather not go this route because I'll be doing the work at my friend's garage and Permatex says you need to let the RTV cure for at least 24 hours before driving. I can't really just let my car sit in my friend's garage for a few days. Also, Permatex seems like a PITA... especially if I want to remove the headers later on.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help.
I am in a similar situation with my exhaust. Two weekends ago I spent some serious time underneath my car inspecting the various connection points of the exhaust system and there were a couple of small leaks.

I think anytime you are trying to create a completely sealed connecting between two exhaust pipes with a band you are going to be in for some sort of challenge. Metal on metal, with a band clamp doesn't ring as being ideal to me.

As for clamps, the exhaust shop I was at had a number of U-clamps but the installer said they were not that great and that they tend to flatten your pipes a bit when they are tightened.

Some sort of clamp that maintains a circular pattern when being tightened would probably be better.

I think the clamps that come with the LG headers, plus some RTV sealant would be ideal. The drawback of course being you would need to do a bit of cleanup if you ever swapped exhaust parts.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDrezzUp
I am in a similar situation with my exhaust. Two weekends ago I spent some serious time underneath my car inspecting the various connection points of the exhaust system and there were a couple of small leaks.

I think anytime you are trying to create a completely sealed connecting between two exhaust pipes with a band you are going to be in for some sort of challenge. Metal on metal, with a band clamp doesn't ring as being ideal to me.

As for clamps, the exhaust shop I was at had a number of U-clamps but the installer said they were not that great and that they tend to flatten your pipes a bit when they are tightened.

Some sort of clamp that maintains a circular pattern when being tightened would probably be better.

I think the clamps that come with the LG headers, plus some RTV sealant would be ideal. The drawback of course being you would need to do a bit of cleanup if you ever swapped exhaust parts.
You might trying taking it off and having or buy a flaring tool then come back with a really good clamp. I don't konw what type of clamps they give you. I would assume it's not the clamps so the flaring should work.
Is this the header to x-pipe or x-pipe to mid pipe.
One thing about the Kook's I've had and the ARH I have now It's
impossible for them to leak with the compression type they both they
use. Don't know why But I've seem this problem with the Lg slip fit
more than once. But anyway try that It should won't. Thumbs
down of the use of the RTV sealtant. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't waste your time with the sealant. I've tried stuff like that before and it never lasted more then a week especially where its going to see that much heat. Try contacting LG and see what they recommend. If all else fails have it welded.

Last edited by MARSC6; 11-19-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 AM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Mine leaked as well, and it could never be fixed. It was determined to be a design flaw.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 AM
harrower
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I also installed LG LT Headers last week. Every joint leeks. I took it to a muffler shop and they ordered band clamps that have a clamp on each side of the joint and a tube in between. The clamps have a seal material on each clamp. I will have them installed next week and will take pics and post.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM
jmt1669
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11

Check these stainless steel exhaust band clamps out. I used these when my f-body was giving me problems.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/753274/10002/-1
Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 PM
clockworks
Pro

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
You might trying taking it off and having or buy a flaring tool then come back with a really good clamp. I don't konw what type of clamps they give you. I would assume it's not the clamps so the flaring should work.
I did use a "pipe expander" (I'm assuming that's the same thing as a flaring tool)...

It's where the header meets the x-pipe, though I thought the x-pipe was the mid pipe. So is the mid pipe the piece that goes over the rear axles and connects to the mufflers?

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Don't waste your time with the sealant. I've tried stuff like that before and it never lasted more then a week especially where its going to see that much heat. Try contacting LG and see what they recommend. If all else fails have it welded.
When you used the sealant, did you let it cure for at least 24 hours before driving?

Originally Posted by harrower
I also installed LG LT Headers last week. Every joint leeks. I took it to a muffler shop and they ordered band clamps that have a clamp on each side of the joint and a tube in between. The clamps have a seal material on each clamp. I will have them installed next week and will take pics and post.
Any chance you can provide a link to the type of clamps? I'll be checking back for your post... hope it works!

Btw, can this leak affect O2 readings or tuning? I know the leak is *after* the O2 sensor, but because of how exhaust pulses, couldn't it be sucking air back in the pipe?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would contact LG first, either phone call or PM..They seem willing to do just about anything to ensure customer satisfaction..It may be an easy solution.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

There should not be any leaks once the system is installed.

These are slip fit designs and there are slots in the pipe where they have been expanded. You need to make sure that the slips are pushed on all the way so that there is no part of the slot that is open. Once all of the pipes are aligned and fit, then tighten down on the clamps. The Pro series clamps can take a beating, so do not be afraid to wrench down on them, the guys here use a light duty 3/8" drive impact.

Being a used system, maybe some of the pipes are not as round as what they were new, or have been opened up so you may have to work on the clamps a bit.

Please give me a call here if you have any questions during the install, always happy to help.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by clockworks

When you used the sealant, did you let it cure for at least 24 hours before driving?

Yes

The sealant seemed to get real brittle and cracked from vibrations. I used it a camaro that bottomed out bad and damaged the exhaust. On a leak before the cat the sealant cracked and failed within a week.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

When I did exhaust on my motorcycle. They used a crush gasket. A round ring same diameter as pipe made of a silver heat proof material. It fits into flare and crushes when pipes are bolted together at flange. Not reusable.
Don't imagine it working in a clamp over situation though. I'm surprised there isn't an Automotive type solution similar.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Take the car to a quality exhaust shop and let them install it right for you.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Being a used system, maybe some of the pipes are not as round as what they were new, or have been opened up so you may have to work on the clamps a bit.

:
This is what happened to me with my used LG system. A $15 Pipe exander to make everything round again, and the LG band clamps worked just fine..
Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 PM
MrDrezzUp
Pro

I never had a chance to do a close inspection when my LG and Corsa setup was first installed. Now that the headers have been removed once I have had a chance to go under the car and do a very thorough inspection (with a hose to my ear) and there were a few small leaks. These leaks existed at the header to x-pipe location, and at some of the joins in the Corsa system. The exhaust installer re-torqued the LG clamps with an impact wrench and tapped the band a little with a rubber mallet. The minor leak was even less but still there.

Thank you for letting us know the exhaust sealant is a no go! :-)
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM
clockworks
Pro

Yes

The sealant seemed to get real brittle and cracked from vibrations. I used it a camaro that bottomed out bad and damaged the exhaust. On a leak before the cat the sealant cracked and failed within a week.
Ahh, thanks for sharing that experience... guess the RTV is dead end.

Originally Posted by Modshack
This is what happened to me with my used LG system. A $15 Pipe exander to make everything round again, and the LG band clamps worked just fine..
Heh, already used a pipe expander. Next going to try an impact on the clamps. After that I'm just going to go to LG... :P
Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

One thing about the Kook's I've had and the ARH I have now It's
impossible for them to leak with the compression type they both they
use. Don't know why But I've seem this problem with the Lg slip fit
more than once. But anyway try that It should won't. Thumbs
down of the use of the RTV sealtant. Good luck!
I have LGLT's on and no issues except I installed the clamps upsidedown. Chuck Cow found this when I had My 4.10 Diff installed.
He corrected them after he let me know they were not right. No
sealants are need with these headers & Clamps.

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix exhaust leak where header meets mid pipe?

Old 11-22-2008, 08:15 AM
harrower
Instructor

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
I have LGLT's on and no issues except I installed the clamps upsidedown. Chuck Cow found this when I had My 4.10 Diff installed.
He corrected them after he let me know they were not right. No
sealants are need with these headers & Clamps.
How can the clamps be installed upsidedown?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:09 PM
harrower
Instructor

Fixed!! Just installed TorcTite Clamps and sealed everything up. If you are getting LG Long Tube headers, these clamps are a must. You can google TorcTite and see who sells them.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
clockworks
Pro

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
You need to make sure that the slips are pushed on all the way so that there is no part of the slot that is open.
Man, we hit the clamps pretty hard with an impact... I kept saying, more MORE and my friend said he didn't fit comfortable hitting them any harder. When we were done, one slot on the DS header to cat was still open. Should we just keep hitting it with impact?

Originally Posted by harrower
Fixed!! Just installed TorcTite Clamps and sealed everything up. If you are getting LG Long Tube headers, these clamps are a must. You can google TorcTite and see who sells them.
What size for the header to cat connection? 3", right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix exhaust leak where header meets mid pipe?