Sponsored by:

CS 144 Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:16 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CS 144 Alternator

I purchased a used CS144 alternator off of a 97 Chevy Tahoe from Durango Boy and rebuilt it myself. I purchased a complete rebuild kit from Spring Hill Auto Electric...bearings, rectifier, brushes, voltage regulator, battery stud. At Durango Boy's suggestion I took the completed alternator to my local auto supplier for testing. I was delighted when it put out 14.3 volts and did not drop even under a load. I am adding a dual electric fan and a xenon light conversion to my 79. This CS144 alternator should easily handle the load. Of course Durango Boy was a lot of help with ideas and suggestions.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Nice looking rebuild. I've got a question about the CS144, will it fit the same serpentine bracket as a CS130 ?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You should upgrade any wiring that will be carrying that additional load (current to lights/fans/sound system/etc.). Otherwise, it will just blow fuses and/or pop fusible links on those systems.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:06 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

The CS144 140Amp alternator should fit in place of a CS130. On the alternator I have the mounting tabs are off set allowing me to use a March adjusting rod. It looks good and allows for easy belt tension adjustment. I have rewired my headlights with heavier wiring and relays. I am also running a heavier wire with fusible link to my battery connection on my starter. One of the things I wanted most beside the additional amps, is the higher output at idle in the event my fans come on while I am going slower in traffic. I have a alternator light in addition to my voltmeter, so I purchased an adapted for the CS alternator from GM.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:33 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the cs144 work with tall valve covers
Old 11-16-2008, 04:00 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
Will the cs144 work with tall valve covers
Yes! I have tall valve cover to accommodate roller rockers.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thegazman
Yes! I have tall valve cover to accommodate roller rockers.
Thanks, Do I need to do anything special
for mounting
Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
Thanks, Do I need to do anything special
for mounting
On my 79 the alternator mounted into the original bracket. This paticular alternator has off set mounting tabs. This worked great for me as I could then use on of March's adjusting rods. The rod is pictured in my original thread. If you need a photo, I'll remount the alternator and show how it fits. I have it out right now as I'm doing some other work. But, It won't take me a couple of minutes to remount it tomorrow and take a photo for you.

Tom...I noticed you were from Stanton. Is that near Westminister? I used to live in Westminister as a kid. I retired from the CHP out Fresno. I moved to WV after retiring. Quiet here! Taxes and crime are less.

Ken

Last edited by thegazman; 11-16-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thegazman
On my 79 the alternator mounted into the original bracket. This paticular alternator has off set mounting tabs. This worked great for me as I could then use on of March's adjusting rods. The rod is pictured in my original thread. If you need a photo, I'll remount the alternator and show how it fits. I have it out right now as I'm doing some other work. But, It won't take me a couple of minutes to remount it tomorrow and take a photo for you.

Tom...I noticed you were from Stanton. Is that near Westminister? I used to live in Westminister as a kid. I retired from the CHP out Fresno. I moved to WV after retiring. Quiet here! Taxes and crime are less.

Ken
Yes Stanton is about 5 miles from Westminster, yea wouldn't
mind a pic, take your time
Thanks

Last edited by TPI BOY; 11-16-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

2 questions if I may?

Did you just wire wheel the casing while apart to get it to shine that well?

Was there a write up you went by when you rebuild the alternator?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
2 questions if I may?

Did you just wire wheel the casing while apart to get it to shine that well?

Was there a write up you went by when you rebuild the alternator?
I did clean it with a wire wheel; however, I finished it off with silver brake caliper paint (500 degree paint). This was my first rebuild so I took pictures as I disasembled plus "Quick Start Automotive Electric" has a couple of videos on their website showing a rebuild of a CS alternator by a professional technician.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You did a fantastic job rebuilding that alternator. I'd love to see you post images of it installed as well. Good work.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Here's a photo showing the off set mounting tabs on my CS144 alternator. At first I was concerned about the off set, but turned out to be to my advantage.

I trimmed the top mounting tab flush with the front alternator case. I sawed it off then smoothed with a file.

With the off set mounting tabs I was able to convert the fan belt tension adjuster to an adjustment rod from "March" and eliminate the long curved OEM bracket that was attached to the water pump. I attached the adjusting rod to the upper inside bolt of the original alternator mounting bracket.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

"http://www.alternatorparts.com/Alternator_repair_instructions_exploded_ views.htm"

Here's the website showing the basic's of rebuilding a CS 144 alternator. Very helpful if you have never rebuilt an alternator before.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the cs144 alternator use the same plug as what is on my 79 now? if an adapter is needed does it come from napa? also is this the same as the recent alterantor sheet that was listed in the threads recently? I too am looking for a plug and play higher output nator that i can still utilize the original GEN light with. any help / direction appreciated. or save space and PM me i always like getting mail
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1nicecorvette
does the cs144 alternator use the same plug as what is on my 79 now? if an adapter is needed does it come from napa? also is this the same as the recent alterantor sheet that was listed in the threads recently? I too am looking for a plug and play higher output nator that i can still utilize the original GEN light with. any help / direction appreciated. or save space and PM me i always like getting mail

Here is a link to the alternator paper. It has diagrams, part numbers, suggestions, and procedures.

http://photos.imageevent.com/durango...%20Install.pdf

If you want a CS144, you'll need one with a 6 & 10 clocking on the front case. The one you linked to me in the PM has a 6 & 12 clocking, which won't easily work for your stock brackets.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

guys check out this email response from a vendor (not affiliated here) and see what he states. do we need a bigger battery cable to run also? ive found an alternator to use for this project. (not one from vendor) should be interesting to see the results.

read here ----> You should run a 4 gage battery wire between the alternator and battery. You can hook up your old wire like normal and piggy back a second wire between the alternator & battery, the two wires will act like one.
The price for a brand new 170 amp CS-144 with most internal components from GM OE suppliers is $219.95 which is a very good price for the quality level of the components in this alternator.

Last edited by 1nicecorvette; 11-17-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CS 144 Alternator

Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1nicecorvette
guys check out this email response from a vendor (not affiliated here) and see what he states. do we need a bigger battery cable to run also? ive found an alternator to use for this project. (not one from vendor) should be interesting to see the results.

read here ----> You should run a 4 gage battery wire between the alternator and battery. You can hook up your old wire like normal and piggy back a second wire between the alternator & battery, the two wires will act like one.
The price for a brand new 170 amp CS-144 with most internal components from GM OE suppliers is $219.95 which is a very good price for the quality level of the components in this alternator.

I made mention of that in the paper, and he's correct. If you have a lot of high amperage draw accessories an extra wire is a good idea. However, 4 gauge is a bit large unless you are drawing near full capacity of the alternator. Just because the alternator CAN put out all that power doesn't mean it is and s going to fry the system. If you have just a fan and maybe a stereo then you won't need much of an upgrade if anything at all. Add a few accessories and an 8 gauge jumper to the starter BAT lug would suffice.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 PM
kortensi
Burning Brakes

Have you tried it with the belt on?

I was looking at doing the same setup for my 71 383 with tall valve covers but with this bracket:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...140+4294860731

However in the notes, it warns to not use it if you have a power steering pump because the belt will hit the pump.

I'm just wondering how much room you have to clear the power steering pump with the bracket and arm you use?

Thanks
KO
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Default tegazman

Yes! I have now installed my fan belt. The alternator is the original location so the belt clears the power steering pump. It's close but it clears.

Kortensi..I sent you a PM.

Ken

Quick Reply: CS 144 Alternator