C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's of Sears' DieHard Battery Maintainer/Charger please help!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:53 AM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Owner's of Sears' DieHard Battery Maintainer/Charger please help!

Hey guys,

I need your help this morning:

I purchased the DieHard Battery Charger/Maintainer (Model # 28-71219) at Sears on Friday night, and I have a question.

I plugged it into my C6's cigarette lighter input, and plugged it into the garage outlet, and it began to charge. I just had the car out earlier for a half an hour, so the battery was almost fully charged. It charged for about 25 mins, then switched to "Charged", but would switch back to "Charge" every 4-5 seconds. It would repeat this process for the whole night???

I couldn't find anywhere in the book, or this forum to see if this was normal. I even read "Battery Tender" brand's Manual online, and that symptom for them could be a bad battery. So I hooked it up to my daily driver, my Intrepid R/T (which has a brand new battery that I just installed a few months ago), and plugged it in, and charged for 15 mins, then started doing the back and forth with the LED lights?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Sounds Normal.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 AM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Sounds Normal.

The reason I ask, is the manual says when charging it will blink charge, but when fully charge, it stays in "float mode", and stays green?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

don't know about flicking back and forth, but my other brand (schumacher) charges, then goes to charged, then charges again over a period of hours, days. I don't think it's unusual. your car has things running in it all the time. thus, it's drawing down power. just make sure everything's off including that nasty little interior light switch.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My Diehard charger model 200-713101 light stays green when in the float mode.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 AM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Thanks...anyone else who has this model? I think it's normal, because it did the same thing to my Intrepid?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by C6-Chris
The reason I ask, is the manual says when charging it will blink charge, but when fully charge, it stays in "float mode", and stays green?
Float back and forth mode

Lets hope other Diehard owners chime in
Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 PM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Thanks Bob, hopefully soon because I want to hook it back up to my Vette before I back to work tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be cold the next few weeks, so I want to put her to bed, and need to know if I should exchange it, or keep it.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 PM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Hey, anyone else out there?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

That's normal....it charges and rests....this is the basic principle of a maintainer......its a good unit and will keep away the dreaded dead battery...
Old 11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Ward1
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
That's normal....it charges and rests....this is the basic principle of a maintainer......its a good unit and will keep away the dreaded dead battery...

I have one that does that also
Old 11-02-2008, 02:50 PM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ward1

I have one that does that also

Mine charges then rests every like 5-6 seconds? That is completely normal?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Yes, that can be just fine....pulsing like that helps prevent sulphation on the plates...
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM
ablackacre
Heel & Toe

I have used this model for years. I have given them to friends as gifts. I like the cigarette lighter plug-in feature. I have two of them on two stored cars right this minute. This model works great -- no problems, no worries.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Originally Posted by ablackacre
I have used this model for years. I have given them to friends as gifts. I like the cigarette lighter plug-in feature. I have two of them on two stored cars right this minute. This model works great -- no problems, no worries.

Thanks...I have it hooked up to my 06 C6 right now...Do you guys keep the unit inside the car or right outside? I have it hooked up to the cigarette lighter and the unit on a stool right outside the car.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Interesting, I have two of these that are hooked up as I write this. The one is on my GTO that doesn't have any draw except a clock. This charger is cycling back and forth about every five seconds. The other is on a German car that is notorius for drawing down a battery and that one is only cycling about every 60 seconds. I think it may be the type of battery. The GTO has one of the repro batteries that look old but is actually a glass mat type and the other is a very good regular type wet cell. Both chargers work well at keeping them up and I have used them for a number of years and have another one that I had on a previous C5. Haven't used it on the C6 because I am drivng it every day since I got it in August.

I do keep them outside the car and connected directly to the battery. They do tend to get a slight bit warm so I just rest them on the floor next to the car on the side with the battery.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
C8-Chris
Instructor

Thanks for the comment...So keeping this plugged in all the time is ok, especially for a long period of time?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Joe C5 C2
Interesting, I have two of these that are hooked up as I write this. The one is on my GTO that doesn't have any draw except a clock. This charger is cycling back and forth about every five seconds. The other is on a German car that is notorius for drawing down a battery and that one is only cycling about every 60 seconds. I think it may be the type of battery. The GTO has one of the repro batteries that look old but is actually a glass mat type and the other is a very good regular type wet cell. Both chargers work well at keeping them up and I have used them for a number of years and have another one that I had on a previous C5. Haven't used it on the C6 because I am drivng it every day since I got it in August.

I do keep them outside the car and connected directly to the battery. They do tend to get a slight bit warm so I just rest them on the floor next to the car on the side with the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Owner's of Sears' DieHard Battery Maintainer/Charger please help!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
don't know about flicking back and forth, but my other brand (schumacher) charges, then goes to charged, then charges again over a period of hours, days. I don't think it's unusual. your car has things running in it all the time. thus, it's drawing down power. just make sure everything's off including that nasty little interior light switch.
I have a Schumacher also.It charges(orange light) for a few hours until it's fully charged(green light) and cycles on and off as necessary to maintain it.It will switch to an orange light just by opening the hood to unhook the leads and the underhood light comes on.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 AM
ablackacre
Heel & Toe

Also, don't forget about the clothes-dryer-sheets or mothballs trick when you store your car. My wife likes the dryer sheets best.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by C6-Chris
Thanks for the comment...So keeping this plugged in all the time is ok, especially for a long period of time?

Thanks
altho a diff brand, I kept mine on from Nov. to Apr., taking it off maybe 3 times to drive the car. it's what is intended for the maintainer. you'll be ok leaving it hooked up all winter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owner's of Sears' DieHard Battery Maintainer/Charger please help!