C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nail in Tire - Can It Be Repaired? *PHOTO*

Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nail in Tire - Can It Be Repaired? *PHOTO*

**UPDATE**

The tire was repairable. Had it done for free at Discount Tire.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited by Viprklr; 10-28-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
jtaylor
Instructor

You can take it to a tire shop and see what they say. I had one there and Discount Tire said it was too close to the sidewall and they would not fix it.

I'm not sure anymore whether the new tire warranty that comes with the car covers any road hazards or not. You should probably check.
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Viprklr
Hey guys,

Can this be plugged and patched from the inside, or is it new tire time?

Matt
I had a similar problem with my C5 and I had it patched at the Goodyear store. They charged me $50 but they were vary careful and it took 4 guys to remove and remount the tire. I would rather patch a run flat than put a plug in it. There is a tire expert on this forum. Maybe he will chime in with his 2 cents worth of advice.

Good Luck
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Viprklr
Hey guys,

Been having a slow leak the past week and finally decided to take the wheel off. Here is what I found.

Can this be plugged and patched from the inside, or is it new tire time?

Matt
Man, that is close to where the belts end and the side wall starts. If that is the case, it's not repairable.

If it was my tire, I would plug it. These are the F1 Supercar tires, so you probably will need replacements at 12-14,000 mile anyway.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My guess is it's to close to the edge. Only a good shop will know for sure.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's too close to the sidewall for a safe repair. It could be done, but not advisable for safety reasons. The edges of the tires take a lot of load in turns and its right near where the edges of the belts are.

And it is not recommended to EVER plug any run-flat or high speed rated tire. The tire should be dismounted from the rim and patched from the inside.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

The nail is too close to the sidewall for the proper inside of tire repair.

If it were me, I'd put a plug in from the outside and monitor that tires pressure in the DIC at all times. As long as you are not doing sustained 100 mph runs you can probably get away with it. If the plug blew out under normal driving conditions, which is highly unlikely, the tire would deflate slowly enough that you would have plenty of warning since the tire pressure sensor will warn at 24 psi and it's still a runflat. You are not gong to experience a sudden loss of pressure in any event. Flame suit is on.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

For a high performance car, that is not repairable and remain safe. It is way to close to the sidewall.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you can patch it.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Emuffinman1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be repaired. Far enough away from the side.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can patch that. Sidewall does not even come into play at that location. I would do that one with a plug kit myself. But I do not do any performance driving and only about 1,5K/yr miles and I am a committed gambler. I always go for the odds and the odds with that one is that it would work okay.

It's not a horse shoe game. Close does not count. It's either in the tread or in the side wall. It without any question is in the tread area.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-26-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Mez
Man, that is close to where the belts end and the side wall starts. If that is the case, it's not repairable.

If it was my tire, I would plug it. These are the F1 Supercar tires, so you probably will need replacements at 12-14,000 mile anyway.
you might want to have your alignment checked if that's all you're getting from the SC Runflats. I now have a little over 14.6K miles, and they (all 4) look fine. I did have an alignment early on at about 4K miles, just for my own reasons.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:31 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, I'd pull it and see if it is even long enough first.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

You can put a plug in it from the outside. You cannot put a patch on it from the inside (the proper repair) because you can't patch a corner.

Also, are you sure it's a nail that goes thru the tire. From the picture it could just be a thumbtack. Put some soapy water on it or spit and see if it bubbles up. If it doesn't bubble up it most likely hasn't gone thru the tire and you can just pull it out and be on your way.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
You can put a plug in it from the outside. You cannot put a patch on it from the inside (the proper repair) because you can't patch a corner.

Also, are you sure it's a nail that goes thru the tire. From the picture it could just be a thumbtack. Put some soapy water on it or spit and see if it bubbles up. If it doesn't bubble up it most likely hasn't gone thru the tire and you can just pull it out and be on your way.
I am consistently losing air on a daily basis. I wish it were just a thumbtack.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by jtaylor
You can take it to a tire shop and see what they say. I had one there and Discount Tire said it was too close to the sidewall and they would not fix it.

I'm not sure anymore whether the new tire warranty that comes with the car covers any road hazards or not. You should probably check.

Get notified of new replies

To Nail in Tire - Can It Be Repaired? *PHOTO*

Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I disagree with some of the above posts. That nail is VERY close to the sidewall. Most or all shops will refuse to repair this.

Below is a pic of one of my tires with nail puncture... not even as close to the sidewall as yours. I took it to Goodyear and they refused to repair it. After much arguing, I convinced them to repair it, though they would not guarantee the repair... I said fine.

I was able to hang out inside the shop while the mechanic repaired my tire... he showed me how when the mushroom plug was put in from the inside, the flat part of the mushroom rode up the side of the sidewall, and that this compromises the repair... he said the flat part of the patch / plug should lay flat inside the tire... over time, if the flat part of the patch rides up the sidewall, it might come away from the sidewall (due to flexing, etc) and a slow leak may be encountered.... though, in my case, since the patch did not ride up the sidewall too much, he felt confident that it would probably be ok, but still technically not ideal.

Well, my repaired tire is still going strong with probably over 10k miles on the repair, plenty of high-speed twisty use, I've beaten this tire pretty hard... so, it wasn't a problem... patch / plug still holding fine, no slow leaks whatsoever... at this rate, the tire will be worn out before this patch / plug fails.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
RushThruLife
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patch is a possibility, but do not ever plug a performance tire.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:22 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

YES..they have a new liquid technology..that allows them to fix the tire even on the corner..

http://www.safetyseal.com/products.htm

my tire guy did this for me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nail in Tire - Can It Be Repaired? *PHOTO*