C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas pedal install - Help!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 PM
dtomlin
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pedal install - Help!!!

OK, I did a search, couldn't find anything on this, so if it's a dup, I apologize. Bought the aluminum gas pedal replacement from Corvette Central - no instructions - bummer. Found a few threads on how to remove the pressure pin, ended up using wire nibs (started this yesterday - three different C-clamps, vise grips etc) finally got the pin out this morning. Now to re-install, C-clamp isn't working. Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
m_LeDez
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Houston, Tx.....'05 Corvette M6 LS3 Magnuson Heartbeat
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here ya go....hope this helps.

http://eliteengineeringusa.com/C6_Gas_Pedal_install.pdf

Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by m_LeDez
Old 10-26-2008, 03:17 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this thread too. I just ordered the same thing. Now I know how to install it.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Got my pedals coming so this is great info!
Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 PM
dtomlin
Cruising

Thanks for the suggestions!
I wish I had seen that site before I bought @ Corvette Central. I found the site when I was looking for how to remove the pedal. The wire nibs finally worked. This set reuses the original pin. So trying to figure out how to press the pin back in. Just bought a set of C-clamp vise grips, gonna give that a try. If that doesn't work, I'll order the pedal that comes with the sholder bolt.
Hmmmmm, just thought about it, spent $70 on the gas and dead pedal, so far, I've spent $5 on C-clamps, $20 on wire nibs, $30 on C-clamp vise grips, $15 on needle nose vise grips to remove the screws from the dead pedal that the head stripped out on half way in.......
So far, mod to tool purchase is even.......but the pedal still ain't in...
Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM
azvetters
Pro

[QUOTE=dtomlin;1567611974]Thanks for the suggestions!
I see your in Mesa AZ, I'm in Peoria AZ,and retired from FoMoCo???just stop by Monday Morn.....
well get her done.
QQSEEYA
Old 10-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Duke/Earl
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The change was very easy on my C5. Three different styles of vice grips were no help on my C6. Have since ordered and installed the stainless steel pedals from the dealer. The go pedal comes premounted on a whole new pedal assembly, switch out the whole thing. The brake and clutch just slip over the existing pedals.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 PM
spinalator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Duke/Earl
The change was very easy on my C5. Three different styles of vice grips were no help on my C6. Have since ordered and installed the stainless steel pedals from the dealer. The go pedal comes premounted on a whole new pedal assembly, switch out the whole thing. The brake and clutch just slip over the existing pedals.
That sounds sooo much easier. Guess I'll give Gene a call and get the GM ones....
Old 10-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

By far the easist way to install a new gas pedal is to just take the entire pedal assembly out of the car so you can make the change on the work bench. This is what I did and made things very easy. Pedal assembly is held to the firewall with only 2 bolts. Remove the 2 bolts, dis-connect the throttle wire and the assembly comes right out. You first have to pull down the underdash cover. Just grab it and pull straight down and it too comes right off.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:13 PM
dtomlin
Cruising

Thanks all, got-r-done!!!!!
Oh man, the freakin' assembly comes off?? That would definately make the install a piece of cake!
Original C-clamp with a couple three washers tapes on the end did the trick, well that and temporarily mounting a mirror behind the assembly to see what I was doing made a huge difference.
You guys are awesome. Appreciate all the info, really wish I had known about the assembly, anybody attempting to do this, save some time and effort, pull the assembly and make the change on your workbench.
Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Wightmn
Instructor

Channel lock pliers work wonders as well. Removing the entire assembly would have made it a lot easier.

Did anyone have problems with the pedal squeaking after the install? Getting off the gas would cause the spring to squeak. A bit of lithium grease fixed it.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 PM
BobAruba
Pro

Default Easy Aluminum Gas Pedal Install on a C5 or C6

I know this thread is a couple of years old but this is still good stuff. I just installed an awesome aluminum pedal set (dead & gas) with a pattern that exactly matches the clutch and brake pedals.

Wire nibs, different “C”-clamps, vise-grips…?

Dave, I don't know why you had problems using a "C"-clamp. It appeared to be the easiest way to go.

There is an easier way to install the aluminum gas pedal. Some pedals come with their own shoulder bolt (pedal pin)... and some require you reuse the original pedal pin and spring because they are a perfect fit for the new pedal.

The removal stage is the same for C5 as well as C6 pedals. Most instructions I have seen to remove the stock gas pedal suggest you use vise-grips or pliers to remove the pin. That pressure fitted pin is in there in a more secure way than most people think. You'll damage it or you’ll go crazy attempting to remove that pin with pliers or vise-grips. The pedal spring is constructed in such a way, which enables an "arm" of the spring to snap-lock into a slot in the original pedal pin.

To remove the original pin without destroying the pin head all you'll need is a short 7/16-inch socket and a common 3-inch "C"-clamp. Place the socket end over the head (driver's side) of the pin... the opposite clamp foot on the end of the pin (passenger's side)... and twist.

The gas pedal, gas pedal spring and pin should drop on the floor. To install the new pedal you will either use a new replacement shoulder bolt and allen wrench that came with the new pedal while using the original pedal spring... or you'll use both the original pin and spring.

The removal and installation process was quick and easy resulting in what I think is a very attractive pedal set up. They look like what GM should have installed in the first place on a $40k plus sports car.

Last edited by BobAruba; 07-08-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I've installed 3 EE pedals. They screw a bolt on to secure their pedal to the arm.

I never removed the pedal assembly, although that's fairly easy to do.

I just used a C-clamp and socket, and the pin pushed right out.

Bob

Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 AM
tonyasc6
Drifting

Originally Posted by spinalator
That sounds sooo much easier. Guess I'll give Gene a call and get the GM ones....
thats what I did...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM
sampaschal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Accelerator Pedal Install....C6

Like many of you I purchased the aluminum accelerator pedal from Corvette Central . In addition I purchased several C clamps and managed to take a 15-30 min. install and stretch it out for two days and several hours of pure frustration. I used the socket and clamp method to remove the pin from the stock pedal after finding these threads on removal. However...the next several hours were spent trying to stand on my head, align all the parts and position the C clamp and socket to press in the pin. Only after reaching a exhaustion did I decide to use a bit of blue masking tape to hold the spring and spacer in the proper location was I able to slip the pedal over the accelerator arm and push the pin through the pedal and assorted spring/bushing configuration. Then came the reclamp...taped a penny to the face of clamp on screw head recess....taped the socket to the other end of the C clamp and after numerous attempts..managed to press the pin home. I CAN SAFELY SAY...I WOULD NEVER, EVER, NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS EVER DO THIS AGAIN...I am nearly 63 but in excellent condition but I hurt like hell from trying to fit myself into positions to install the pedal. I would suggest that if you want to do this mod...pull the pedal assembly out of the car..It would be a snap.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Dave_C6
Racer

Hey, I'm in Scottsdale, just order the alum pedals a couple days ago... link to instructions isn't working, any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Navigator

Thanks to this thread it was a pretty easy install. I used the c clamp method and the old pedal came off easily.

I found that installing the new pedal was easier by duct taping the spring to the pedal in the right spot to line up with the holes.

My pedal from elite engineering looks and works great for heel toe ( actually toe toe to be precise) downshifts. A small annoyance was that the pedal is a bit loose on the pin so it rattles when moving from the gas to the brake. I solved this by installing a small block of high density foam between the pin and the pedal.

Lastly you need to remember to push the spring towards the drivers side of the car until it snaps into the grove in the pin. Otherwise the pedal can move from left to right on the pin.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas pedal install - Help!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas pedal install - Help!!!