C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with EBCM & BPMV

Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Marty2000
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with EBCM & BPMV

I took my 2000 in for service because the ABS and traction control warning lights were on. The dealer said that the EBCM was bad. I had him replace it. Then while driving shortly after the repair the lights came on again. Now he says that the BPMV is bad and it will cost $2300 to replace it. He got code C1243 this time.

I am a novice when it comes to Corvettes and need some help.
1. What is wrong.
2. Why did the problem not show when they replaced the electronic unit?
3. Any suggestions, is the BPMV repairable or must it be replaced?
4. What will happen if I do nothing and just drive the car?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Depending on the original failure the diagnostic procedure leads the tech through a series of tests. Depending on the result of those tests the procedure could call for the replacement of the EBCM or both the EBCM and BPMV.

With Code C1243 the system has detected the pump motor running slowly this condition can cause the relay contacts in the EBCM to burn and if it had shown up on the original diagnosis probably would have resulted in both modules being replaced at that time.

There is no way to fix the BPMV so it needs to be replaced. Replacement means removing it from the hydraulic system so when it is replaced the brakes will have to be bled and the BPMV will have to be bled using a Tech 2.

If you do nothing your car will drive just fine. You will still have the base brake system which isn't affected by ABS system failures. However, you will not have ABS or Traction Control.

Bill
Old 06-18-2008, 08:44 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

SEARCH is your friend on the forum .....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=C1243

If you're not mechanically inclined then you have 2 choices ...

1) Pay the dealer to fix the problem

2) Drive the car with no ABS or Traction Control (or Active Handling if you have the JL4 option) and the warning light on all the time. You have a brake system, just no safety aids.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Depending on the original failure the diagnostic procedure leads the tech through a series of tests. Depending on the result of those tests the procedure could call for the replacement of the EBCM or both the EBCM and BPMV.

With Code C1243 the system has detected the pump motor running slowly this condition can cause the relay contacts in the EBCM to burn and if it had shown up on the original diagnosis probably would have resulted in both modules being replaced at that time.

There is no way to fix the BPMV so it needs to be replaced. Replacement means removing it from the hydraulic system so when it is replaced the brakes will have to be bled and the BPMV will have to be bled using a Tech 2.

If you do nothing your car will drive just fine. You will still have the base brake system which isn't affected by ABS system failures. However, you will not have ABS or Traction Control.

Bill
Bill is correct! There are some of us C5 drivers that put our cars through their paces on a regular basis and that will frequently cause the ABS and or Active Handling system to activate and control the brakes. That BPMV "USAGE" keeps things from malfunctioning.

Most Corvette owners are happy just to drive their cars in a way that seldom causes the BPMV motor to function. This allows components inside the brake hydraulic system to stick or act sluggishly.

In an effort to save you some cash you may want to SAFELY try this:

On a day when the roads are wet, (wet roads cause less wear and tear on the car) find a "SAFE" place where you can apply the brakes hard enough to LOCK UP the brakes. Clear ALL the DTCs and once their cleared,,,accelerate to approx 35-40 MPH and brake at full force. This will cause the tires to loose traction and the ANTI LOCK system and or the Active Handling will or should operate. If the system does NOT work normally, and the tires lock up and loose traction, ABORT. If you set a DTC and get a message, turn the ignition off and back on , reset the DTCs and repeat.

If you cant get the system to work normally after 3-4 attempts to cycle the motor,,,,your going to need to bite the bullet and replace the BPMV.

If you attempt to do the braking procedure PLEASE make sure you do it in a SAFE and LEGAL place where you will NOT damage your car.

This has helped quite a few people get their EBTCM and BPMV back in operation without having to replace the BPMV. There have been a few people who it has NOT helped.

Ill let you decide if you want to safely attempt the procedure.

Bill C
Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 PM
anniv88
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Bill is correct! There are some of us C5 drivers that put our cars through their paces on a regular basis and that will frequently cause the ABS and or Active Handling system to activate and control the brakes. That BPMV "USAGE" keeps things from malfunctioning.

Most Corvette owners are happy just to drive their cars in a way that seldom causes the BPMV motor to function. This allows components inside the brake hydraulic system to stick or act sluggishly.

In an effort to save you some cash you may want to SAFELY try this:

On a day when the roads are wet, (wet roads cause less wear and tear on the car) find a "SAFE" place where you can apply the brakes hard enough to LOCK UP the brakes. Clear ALL the DTCs and once their cleared,,,accelerate to approx 35-40 MPH and brake at full force. This will cause the tires to loose traction and the ANTI LOCK system and or the Active Handling will or should operate. If the system does NOT work normally, and the tires lock up and loose traction, ABORT. If you set a DTC and get a message, turn the ignition off and back on , reset the DTCs and repeat.

If you cant get the system to work normally after 3-4 attempts to cycle the motor,,,,your going to need to bite the bullet and replace the BPMV.

If you attempt to do the braking procedure PLEASE make sure you do it in a SAFE and LEGAL place where you will NOT damage your car.

This has helped quite a few people get their EBTCM and BPMV back in operation without having to replace the BPMV. There have been a few people who it has NOT helped.

Ill let you decide if you want to safely attempt the procedure.

Bill C

Can the same thing be accomplished by doing a burnout and getting
the car to fishtail.
Would this cause the Active Handling to operate?
Old 06-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Or, you could purchase the parts from me for much less and install or have them install!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 06-22-2008, 03:45 PM
50yrzo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
2) Drive the car with no ABS or Traction Control (or Active Handling if you have the JL4 option) and the warning light on all the time. You have a brake system, just no safety aids.

Can I assume there is no way to disable the warning that flashes up on the DIC?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 50yrzo6
Can I assume there is no way to disable the warning that flashes up on the DIC?
That's correct ... the warning messages will continue to appear everytime you start the car. However, you can then clear them to use the DIC to display other items (such as oil temperature) by pressing the RESET button. Each time you press RESET you will clear a message. Once you have cleared the messages the DIC is functional until such time as another message is issued.

The yellow AH/TC warning will stay illuminated while you drive the car.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anniv88
Can the same thing be accomplished by doing a burnout and getting
the car to fishtail.
Would this cause the Active Handling to operate?
While Active Handling uses the BPMV, it is only for a very short period to correct a "fishtail". Also, doing burnouts to exercise the BPMV is a costly way to do it ... lots of tire wear, and lots of drivetrain stress.

The best way to aaccomplish this is as the two Bill's point out ..... long hard stops that force the BPMV to run for several seconds at a time. And as pointed out, doing it on a slick road (wet, sandy, oily ... ) reduces tire wear and extends the time the BPMV has to operate.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 PM
backnblack2003z06
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also use a Tech 2 to run the self test this will cycle everything inside the BPMV.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM
50yrzo6
Instructor

Sorry to keep asking novice questions. Is there a fuse for the EBCM and/or BPMV? :o
Old 06-22-2008, 05:10 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 50yrzo6
Sorry to keep asking novice questions. Is there a fuse for the EBCM and/or BPMV? :o
The EBCM is powered through two circuits ..... in the underhood fuse block Fuse 5 (10 Amp) and Fuse 52 (40 Amp). The BPMV pump and solenoids receive their power from the EBCM. The relay (it is internal to the EBCM) that provides that power to the BPMV can fail, and sets DTC C1214 when it does.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM
TexasKidd
Advanced

I have a similar problem - or maybe it's the same problem with a little bit of a twist.

Recently starting getting the ABS warning light and after a couple of weeks, took the car to my "trusted" mechanic. He changed the ($1600 parts and labor) EBCM and I got the car back. ABS light started coming on a day or two later so I took the car back to him. He put on another EBCM (first one was warrantable so no cost) We did the whole thing again. He put another EBCM on it, and everything fine for one day. Warning light started coming on again so I took it back to him. He didn't want to put on a third EBCM without trying to figure out if something else may be causing this problem. At this point, he did some testing and decided that it might be the BPMV and he wanted to take the car to the local Chev dealership. Chevrolet dealership says it's the BPMV causing the problem and it keeps ruining the EBCM's that are put on the car. Chev dealership also told me that my mechanic (they all know and respect each other) was not replacing the Pressure Switch along with the EBCM and he was supposed to be doing that. Chev dealer told me that in removing the pressure switch, it was all corroded where it attaches to the BPMV - like, the shafts where the bolts go. But, they say the BPMV was bad anyway regardless of corrosion on it.

After doing a little research, I've decided to let them replace the BPMV (parts & labor about $2,800 on top of the $1,600 I've already spent). I'm a weekend mechanic - and then some, but the whole thing sounded a little too complicated for me to mess with.

I'm sick about it all, and pissed off. I feel like GM just screwed me. I almost told them to put it back together and I'd drive without the ABS system. but, it's my wife's daily driver.

From all the research I've read, I want to complain that this is a safety issue that GM should recall and fix. Or, do I just have to suck it up and feel okay with pouring money into this car? Do I have to accept the notion that if I'm going to oen a corvette, I need to be willing to put a lot of money into it for these repairs? Do C6's have this problem? maybe I should trade it in on a C6.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasKidd
I'm sick about it all, and pissed off. I feel like GM just screwed me. I almost told them to put it back together and I'd drive without the ABS system. but, it's my wife's daily driver.

Well, someone is screwing you, but it's the dealer. $2800 is at least twice what I would figure for replacing a BPMV.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I agree you are getting screwed by the dealer if all you are getting is a BPMV. However, the price they quoted you sounds close to what a repair is if both the EBCM and BPMV are replaced. Since you have a bad EBCM on the car they are probably also replacing it. As far as they are concerned the EBCM isn't warrantied since your mechanic did the original replacement.

With modern cars that have the kinds of subsystems the C5 has going to your local independent trusted mechanic can be the wrong thing to do. A large number of them just don't have the test equipment and training required to work on cars with these systems. I have an 03 Tahoe with automatic level control/real time dampening/stabiltrack (active handling). I had a Service Ride Control message show on the DIC and asked the local Goodyear store to run the code for me while installing some tires as the codes are not accessible without a Tech 2. They couldn't read them and referred me to the dealer.

If your mechanic had followed the diagnostic procedures for these failures and he would have discovered the BPMV problem the first time around.

As far as it being a safety issue it isn't. There are plenty of cars on the road that get along fine without ABS/Traction Control/Active Handling. When these two modules fail the base brake system still works just fine you just don't have some of the really nice to have stuff.

Bill
Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 PM
TexasKidd
Advanced

Ah ha! How much should I be paying for just the BPMV?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I am not sure. I have GMPP on my 03Z and when my EBCM went belly up last year the dealer tech found the BPMV had to be replaced as well. The total charge to GMPP was right around $3K. When the modulator is replaced the brake system including the modulator has to bled using a Tech 2 or similar high dollar tool that can operate the BPMV valves during the bleeding process.

Check GM Parts House to see how much the modulator costs.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with EBCM & BPMV

Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Gene has the 99-00 Pressure modulator valve for about $1400. List is $2150.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 AM
gtzy
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get a used EBTCM Assembly with both componets for under $500.00

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette Assm, w/o active brk cntrl-Verify 2845 $499 Auto Works, Inc. USA-WI(Madison) Request_Quote 1-608-222-3119 Request_Insurance_Quote

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 08D006 $450 Deluxe Auto Parts - KOLT USA-TX(Corpus-Christi) E-mail 1-800-654-3589
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette ASSY AA4765 $400 Rockford Auto Parts USA-IL(Rockford) Request_Quote 1-815-964-3396 / 1-800-392-5595 Request_Insurance_Quote
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 4-98 A 126437 $375 Jones Auto, Inc. USA-IN(Orleans) E-mail 1-812-865-4161
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette A NHA119 $350 Hokes Bluff Auto Parts USA-AL(Gadsden) E-mail 1-800-824-0202
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 2-98 A N0335 $350 M and M Auto Parts, Inc. USA-VA(Stafford) Request_Quote 1-800-586-5492 1-540-659-2023 Request_Insurance_Quote

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette T0323 $350 Auto Parts of Shelby (Store #1 PRP) USA-NC(Shelby) Request_Quote 1-800-274-9124 Request_Insurance_Quote

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette -5/99,5.7 09356961 080801 $350 Price Auto Parts USA-NC(Knightdale) Request_Quote 1-800-672-9211 Request_Insurance_Quote

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 2D,CP,RWD,ABS,5.7,6S PD,12 98 A K8543 $350 Donawitz Auto Parts USA-PA(New-Brighton) E-mail 1-800-248-1032
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 6 SP,RWD 082030 $350 Lambert Auto Salvage USA-MS(Booneville) E-mail 1-877-728-0409
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 03165 $350 All Star Import & American Auto USA-TX(Kennedale) E-mail 817-572-5009
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette A 080077 $325 Newark Motor and Export USA-NJ(Newark) Request_Quote 1-866-589-7456 for Cars 1-866-589-5383 for Trucks and Vans Request_Insurance_Quote

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette A 080045 $295 American Camaro & Firebird Auto Parts USA-OK(Warr-Acres) E-mail 1-888-833-4582
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 2D,4-99,ABS,RWD,5.7G ,CONV C 08296 $275 Kenny's Auto Wrecking USA-OH(Lima) Request_Quote 1-800-686-1871 Request_Insurance_Quote

Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 20070202 $247.5 PRP- Midway Auto Parts, Inc. USA-MO(Kansas-City) E-mail 1-816-242-0100
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette C/R 5.7L ABS 07I0654 $235 Kosiski Auto Parts, Inc. USA-NE(Omaha) Request_Quote 1-800-228-0053 Request_Insurance_Quote
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette GOOD,ABS,CK FOR ACTIVE CONTROL 01304 $200 All Star Import & American Auto USA-TX(Kennedale) E-mail 817-572-5009
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette ASSM, W/FRONT ABS BRAKE LOCK (OPT JAG), W/O ACTIVE BRAKE CONT A FW12801 $192.5 Elmers Auto Salvage - QRP Partner USA-WI(Fountain-City) E-mail 1-800-362-5004
Anti-Lock Brake Parts
Chevy Corvette 7H2885 $175 Benn's Auto Parts USA-FL(Homestead) E-mail 1-305-247-3613

Last edited by gtzy; 10-23-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 AM
TexasKidd
Advanced

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Well, someone is screwing you, but it's the dealer. $2800 is at least twice what I would figure for replacing a BPMV.

Well, I didn't sleep well last night. I know I'm getting screwed this time (I usually react faster, make better decisions, and fix myself).

I called two other Chev dealerships here in DFW area. One has EBCM for $925 and BPMV for $1,930. the other has EBCM for $1,070 and BPMV for $2,228. All these are before sales tax. Both dealerships are about $500 labor also.

Next time, I will put the wife in the old beat-up pick-truck, send these parts to someone to fix, and do it myself.

I appreciate everyone's input and think I've learned a lesson. I hate it when I feel I'm being taken advantage of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with EBCM & BPMV