C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Intake - Dual Cone vs Others

Old 10-10-2008, 02:39 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Air Intake - Dual Cone vs Others

Any opinions/info concerning the dual cone type intakes like the link below vs the halltech venoms, stingers or others of that type with the single filter. I like the look of the dual design but how does it compare functionally?
Thanks.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The most important things to consider are:

1) Quality and size of the filter media: Proof of filtering ability? Is its surface area large unough so that vacuum pressure at thethrottlebody is minimized?
2) Cold air: make sure that the filter has access to a cold air stream.

If your system can satisfy those requirements, it should help produce as much extra HP as most other intake systems; it's that simple.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:57 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock air bridge was flowed and had the same numbers as a halltech...IMO, they are all hype...dosnt add any power I dont think. keep your stock air bridge and get a K&N filter...be the same thing..unless you want the super cool looks of a aftermarket,
Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Dave68
Race Director

If you look at my sig (in my post, above), you'll see the gain that can be almost totally attributed to the intake system. I've been to two Dyno Day events and virtually every C5 with before and after dyno runs saw gains of 10+ RWHP. THAT's a great bang for the buck, IMO. Just because the stock airbridge can flow high numbers on a flow bench doesn't mean the stock box isn't less restrictive than an open element filter. The numbers don't lie - an aftermarket intake filter system is the way to go as long as it gets outside air and filters well.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave68
If you look at my sig (in my post, above), you'll see the gain that can be almost totally attributed to the intake system. I've been to two Dyno Day events and virtually every C5 with before and after dyno runs saw gains of 10+ RWHP. THAT's a great bang for the buck, IMO. Just because the stock airbridge can flow high numbers on a flow bench doesn't mean the stock box isn't less restrictive than an open element filter. The numbers don't lie - an aftermarket intake filter system is the way to go as long as it gets outside air and filters well.

thats why I said just get a filter
and you dynoed before and after a intake?????????
Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Yes, I dynoed the car as stock and after the Halltech intake system. When you mentioned a K&N filter, I thought you meant a drop-in filter for the stock box. That wouldn't get you much of anything as far as horsepower goes.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:53 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

except for the hype, there's no difference
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar
except for the hype, there's no difference

many doul cone air intakes cause air turbulence going into the tb and actually slow air intake. ie less power

just a good NEW filter on a single cold air intake is about the best you can do.

and dont even bother oiling those oil cloth filters. Most ppl put too much oil on.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 AM
BonestockZ06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for looks, the twin filter is ok, but if your looking for performance, I'd recommend VR first and stinger second.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This comes up time after time. I have seen posts where Dyno results show no gain.

I belong to the opinion that cloth/oil filters are bad for longivity of engine. If you oil too much you cause MAF sensor contaimination. The cloth/oil filters DO NOT filter as well as dry paper. Some aftermarket filters don't fit well and allow dirt in engine. Not to mention hydrolocking with some cold air filters in the rain.

I use a 2002 (or later) ZO6 filter cover with a paper filter. This will help early C5's that have a very restrictive filter cover.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

many doul cone air intakes cause air turbulence going into the tb and actually slow air intake. ie less power

just a good NEW filter on a single cold air intake is about the best you can do.

and dont even bother oiling those oil cloth filters. Most ppl put too much oil on.
dont bother oiling the filters? are you nuts?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:16 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just get a Blackwing and be done with it!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Dave68
Race Director

:
If your filter was designed to be oiled, just follow the directions, let the filter sit on paper towels overnight, and install. I've been doing this for more than 5 years now and not only is my airbridge and throttle body opening spotless, but I've never had any MAF issues, either. If you are really paranoid about the oil and want a great intake setup, get the Callaway Honker. It reroutes the MAF to just before the throttlebody so that the oil has alot further to go before it can reach it.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IBUID40
dont bother oiling the filters? are you nuts?
Nope not at all

PPL put way too much oil on the filters. and a new filter is good for many many miles years without re-oiling.

I have two K&N filters. I change them or rotate if or when lots of grass or dirt get on the out side of them. I clean them off.

Also some ppl like the VR, That would be personal choice. Many of us have found this to be good, but not great.

Again a single intake CAI works wonders.

Black wing and Honker tend to be the Better CAI

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-11-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Nope not at all

PPL put way too much oil on the filters. and a new filter is good for many many miles years without re-oiling.

I have two K&N filters. I change them or rotate if or when lots of grass or dirt get on the out side of them. I clean them off.

Also some ppl like the VR, That would be personal choice. Many of us have found this to be good, but not great.

Again a single intake CAI works wonders.

Black wing and Honker tend to be the Better CAI

well telling someone not to oil a filter is just plain stupid. The are meant to be oiled not over oiled. That way they catch dirt and the filter starts to do its job. If there was no oil on them you would injest a lot of dirt.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Since many people overfill their crankcases, you probably shouldn't bother putting oil in your engine either.

It's pretty simple really...a gauze type filter needs to be oiled so it's tacky. That is the only way it can effectively filter the small particles that would otherwise pass through the filter.
If you clean the filter properly, you also strip it of it's oily residue, so it must be re-oiled.

Whether or not people tend to over-oil them is no fault of the filter, and by no means a reason not to oil it at all.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IBUID40
well telling someone not to oil a filter is just plain stupid. The are meant to be oiled not over oiled. That way they catch dirt and the filter starts to do its job. If there was no oil on them you would injest a lot of dirt.
Fine believe what you want.

I know what my engine likes, I do take the heads off each winter. Clean, very clean with no carbon build ups

Oil filters come pre oiled. No need to reoil them for several years. That is why I say dont oil them, they dont need the EXTRA oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Intake - Dual Cone vs Others

Old 10-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

After market air intakes = placebo mod.

The C5 air intake/filters are not really restrictive.
The extra noise is cool though.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:45 PM
olefam
Pro

I may be in the minority here, but I have a dual-cone intake and I like it. I wouldn't for a moment try to tell you that it gives me any appreciable power increase. But neither does it slow the car down. It looks impressive under the hood (in my opinion), does an acceptable job of filtering the air, and flows all the air my otherwise stock engine can handle.
Best wishes.
Glen
Old 10-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by olefam
I may be in the minority here, but I have a dual-cone intake and I like it. I wouldn't for a moment try to tell you that it gives me any appreciable power increase. But neither does it slow the car down. It looks impressive under the hood (in my opinion), does an acceptable job of filtering the air, and flows all the air my otherwise stock engine can handle.
Best wishes.
Glen
There is no better reason to have ANY mod!! Most of the time I think they are worth it for the sound alone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Intake - Dual Cone vs Others