Sponsored by:

[Z06] Broken valve spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
ZEEEEOOOOSIC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken valve spring

Well guys i received the news that i have a broken intake valve spring on my 03 zo6.Heres the scenerio i was driving home from my cousins house and everything is all good all of a sudden my car sounds like its misfiring and tuff to keep running at an idle.No spirited driving at all.My first thought is the maf so i searched the forum gathered as much info as i could and removed the maf and cleaned correctly ,started up same thing running ruff wont idle.I have the extended warranty on my car so in the dealership it goes ,received the call today that i have a broken valve spring.My question is ,isnt this odd for a stock zo6 im running a vararam cai and a catback,i have read that this usually happens to h/c vehicles ? is there any questions i should ask the dealer to look into, or should i have any other concerns Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEEOOOOSIC
Well guys i received the news that i have a broken intake valve spring on my 03 zo6.Heres the scenerio i was driving home from my cousins house and everything is all good all of a sudden my car sounds like its misfiring and tuff to keep running at an idle.No spirited driving at all.My first thought is the maf so i searched the forum gathered as much info as i could and removed the maf and cleaned correctly ,started up same thing running ruff wont idle.I have the extended warranty on my car so in the dealership it goes ,received the call today that i have a broken valve spring.My question is ,isnt this odd for a stock zo6 im running a vararam cai and a catback,i have read that this usually happens to h/c vehicles ? is there any questions i should ask the dealer to look into, or should i have any other concerns Thanks
nope.. seems to happen to a handful... its not common.. but it doesnt appear rare either..
Old 10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
nope.. seems to happen to a handful... its not common.. but it doesnt appear rare either..
To add ... it seems to happen mostly to 2002 and 2003 Z06s. There have actually been quite a few members who have reported broken valve springs on their factory stock 02/03 Zees. Do a search and you will find tons of threads about it. Theory is that there was a bad batch of valve springs made somewhere in that time frame. I believe GM has went to a new valve spring now, so made sure the dealer swaps them all out.

Hopefully there wasn't any engine damage from the spring failure.

Here's a poll on failed valve springs that I did a while back.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=spring+valve

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 10-02-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:51 PM
ZEEEEOOOOSIC
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
To add ... it seems to happen mostly to 2002 and 2003 Z06s. There have actually been quite a few members who have reported broken valve springs on their factory stock 02/03 Zees. Do a search and you will find tons of threads about it. Theory is that there was a bad batch of valve springs made somewhere in that time frame. I believe GM has went to a new valve spring now, so made sure the dealer swaps them all out.

Hopefully there wasn't any engine damage from the spring failure.

Here's a poll on failed valve springs that I did a while back.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=spring+valve
Thanks bro thats very interesting as i will ask to replace them all thank you
Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

... let us know how the repair goes.

Oh yeah ... how many miles are on your Zee?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:07 PM
ZEEEEOOOOSIC
Drifting

30,000 miles ,i contacted the service manager and he states because there is no gm bulletin on the issue its going to be a tuff sell, seeing how its an extended warranty and not an original warranty. Hell all i can do is try if they dont maybe i will replace them all out of my pocket just for piece of mind but i havent given up the fight!!! Does anyone have the part # of the new valve spring?

Last edited by ZEEEEOOOOSIC; 10-02-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

30,000 miles ,i contacted the service manager and he states because there is no gm bulletin on the issue its going to be a tuff sell, seeing how its an extended warranty and not an original warranty. Hell all i can do is try if they dont maybe i will replace them all out of my pocket just for piece of mind but i havent given up the fight!!! Does anyone have the part # of the new valve spring?
Pay for it if you must. They will already have the valve cover off to change 1 spring so you at least get a discount. Change them all. Demand it. Do not let the car out without new springs. Ask for all the old parts.

There's a 16 spring kit you can order for $55 so the springs are not expensive it's all in the labor as usual.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

from what i've read it seems to happen occasionally to all the Z06's ('01-'04). It seems attributed to high cam ramp lift rates.. which would seem to give some explanation to the LS2/LS3 lower ramp rates but higher displacement to compensate..

i wouldnt worry about the sematics too much..

..if you have the warrenty.. get it fixed and let GM worry about it..
Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm reading that the Dealerships are using a new or revised valve springs but there is no bulletin on the issue.? Hmmm makes me wonder
Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
ZEEEEOOOOSIC
Drifting

Yes your correct no bulletin , i just got off the phone with the adjuster and they will only replace the 1 bad spring unbelievable, so i will upgrade to 918 for piece of mind on the rest and then upgrade again with dual springs when its time for h/c package
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes your correct no bulletin , i just got off the phone with the adjuster and they will only replace the 1 bad spring unbelievable, so i will upgrade to 918 for piece of mind on the rest and then upgrade again with dual springs when its time for h/c package
Comp 918's had their own problems recently. Search on here--I think there was a good, reliable manufacturer you can use. It's the shop that used to make the 918 for Comp cams.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM
kanerogers
Advanced

Newbie question:

If there is a potential problem with a known batch of valve springs, might it follow that they are in a group of cars that could be identified according to engine numbers, VINs or build dates?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:08 PM
kanerogers
Advanced

My bad - I should have looked at this thread first.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

The way that's written, it sounds like you're going to upgrade all but the one the dealer replaces? I know that can't be true, but that's what it sounds like.

If it was me, I'd get the whole updated valve spring kit from GM and have the dealer change them all at the same time. If you upgrade to the H/C package, then consider appropriate aftermarket springs.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken valve spring

Quick Reply: [Z06] Broken valve spring