Sponsored by:

Weight of Corvette Body

Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Weight of Corvette Body

How much does just the body weigh for a C3 body? Specifically a 77. Can 4 guys lift it?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny4523
How much does just the body weigh for a C3 body? Specifically a 77. Can 4 guys lift it?

Maybe BIG guys. I would want to have 8 guys personally, so no one has to struggle and risk losing their hold and dropping their share.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The difficulty of using humans to lift the body is that the front is not strong, but there's nowhere easy to grab the body in the middle where the structural strength is.

I lifted the body on my '76 and was surprised by how heavy it was, but I still had seats, headlights and radiator + frame in place. I recommend you remove these things if you're considering the job, whether you're using human power or not.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

I bet you could do it with six guys if it was totally stripped. My body just keeps getting lighter and lighter every day; I keep taking off parts.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by BenUK
The difficulty of using humans to lift the body is that the front is not strong, but there's nowhere easy to grab the body in the middle where the structural strength is.

I lifted the body on my '76 and was surprised by how heavy it was, but I still had seats, headlights and radiator + frame in place. I recommend you remove these things if you're considering the job, whether you're using human power or not.
Ben, did you lift yours with a harness of some type or use buddies?
I am thinking about a frame off and this might be very helpful data as well.
Thanks.
77Sleeper
David
Old 09-05-2008, 08:56 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
Maybe BIG guys. I would want to have 8 guys personally, so no one has to struggle and risk losing their hold and dropping their share.
Hey DB, have you seen any harnesses used to lift the body off? I have six good drinking buddies but might have to go to hooters to find two more. Would six drunk guys be enough or do I still need eight. Just kidding of course. Miss those hooters pictures and hope you are keeping the tradition alive.
If only I had a hooters near me...
Eight guys I can get, but have you used a harness before?
Thanks.
David
77Sleeper
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I was weighting (pun intended) to hear what the car body weighs and wondered if anyone on the forum might know that data. Is it burried in a book somewhere? Anxious to hear myself. Anyone that has done a frame off has either lifted it by muscle or lifted it by harness. Hope you get more replies, I am interested too.
Thanks for starting the thread.
David
77Sleeper
Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Sleeper
Hey DB, have you seen any harnesses used to lift the body off? I have six good drinking buddies but might have to go to hooters to find two more. Would six drunk guys be enough or do I still need eight. Just kidding of course. Miss those hooters pictures and hope you are keeping the tradition alive.
If only I had a hooters near me...
Eight guys I can get, but have you used a harness before?
Thanks.
David
77Sleeper

I have never removed a Vette body before but I have seen lots of guys use straps. Simple heavy duty tie down straps run under the body where the mounts are, and a nose strap to support the nose of the car.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

I removed mine with the straps you can get from various Corvette parts places. It works great and is fairly simple once you have everything disconnected. http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...9&dept_id=1100

The hooks just catch under the rocker channels and you should run a line to the nose to help keep it level. Sorry I don't have pics but a lot of guys do if you search.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

77Sleeper,

This might help some. Definitely with the body dolly.

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/

Are you planning on doing a 77 also?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I have two 77's now, one is a frame on update happening as we speak, I call that my 77 Red Coupe. I purchased a 77 Corvette Orange in March and have been taking it to shows this year, been lucky enough to win a few as well. It has 22K miles on it and I was considering taking it to the next level over the winter, that is, take the body off and do a complete update on the car frame and body. I will be selling the 77 Red Coupe next spring primarily to make room for a new 1974 Convertible I am buying. Having two C-3's in my wifes eyes is reasonable. Having three is not so much. I always want to have one to drive while I can work on the other, so the 74 would be my 2009 summer driver car for shows, etc. while I dress up the 77.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the reference material, very helpful.
I just got three drawings of the body storage dolly from another friend on the forum and would be willing to share them with you if you need them. Just PM me your e-mail for home and I will send them.
Best regards,
David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 09-05-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 77Sleeper
I have two 77's now, one is a frame on update happening as we speak, I call that my 77 Red Coupe. I purchased a 77 Corvette Orange in March and have been taking it to shows this year, been lucky enough to win a few as well. It has 22K miles on it and I was considering taking it to the next level over the winter, that is, take the body off and do a complete update on the car frame and body. I will be selling the 77 Red Coupe next spring primarily to make room for a new 1974 Convertible I am buying. Having two C-3's in my wifes eyes is reasonable. Having three is not so much. I always want to have one to drive while I can work on the other, so the 74 would be my 2009 summer driver car for shows, etc. while I dress up the 77.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the reference material, very helpful.
I just got three drawings of the body storage dolly from another friend on the forum and would be willing to share them with you if you need them. Just PM me your e-mail for home and I will send them.
Best regards,
David
I saw your thread about it and pm'd him as well. I actually have the one off another site that is different. Would you like for me to email it to you? Are you 77s L-48s or L-82's?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BenUK

i'm sure you could get guys to lift the weight but any good places to grab are not strong enough to support the weight
Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

I do believe in safety. However the body dolly on the forum maybe a bit overbuilt. I just did a body lift about 1 week ago. Go to homedepot and get some HEAVY ratchet straps (yellow and about 2.5-3.5 inches wide). You can hook them just behind the front tire and in front of the rear tire in the metal rocker channel. I used an engine hoist. In my opinion the 4 person lift would be a back issue. You are looking at around 800 lbs. 4 with one in front (support only, no lift) and rear for the same may work. However, the lift gives you some added control. Also what I did was lift the body, and built the front and rear of a body buck then I slid the front and rear portions into place. I then bolted some side (lateral supports) on. If I needed to, I could role the chassis out from under the buck. I used 4x4's for the uprights on the buck, and 2x4s for the crossbracing.
One note. I put some stress on the doors. I think this could be avoided with a square 2x4 frame placed above the door to spread the load outboard of the door (if i am making since). PM me if you need help, you can call me, I can probably talk you through the process.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I saw your thread about it and pm'd him as well. I actually have the one off another site that is different. Would you like for me to email it to you? Are you 77s L-48s or L-82's?
I would love it, thanks for the offer.

My Orange 77 is original everything, including the L-48 under the hood. With 22K miles my goal is to keep it original and keep it clean.
Name:  David 77 Orange.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  276.6 KB

My Red 77 is not original. I have the build sheet and it was an L-48 when she was built, but not any more.

The engine is a 69 block with L-82 type covers on it, side pipes but not headers, edelbrock proformer manifold and carb on it, and have not had it dyno'd yet to see what HP is but she has a pretty good punch to her.

I have completely re-worked the interior of the car and it looks great now.
Name:  Interior Completed 2.JPG
Views: 4597
Size:  542.3 KB
Wheels are getting sand blasted and primed, then I'll paint them and put caps and rings back on her.
Name:  Davids Red 77 (25).JPG
Views: 2028
Size:  582.2 KB

Calipers and brake pads have arrived, have to pick up my brake lines and hoses and will change out the four by next weekend. Rear end seal is leaking so I have a new rear end seal and fluid kit coming from Muskegon Brake. Bushings will be next and shocks all around. Paint is red now and not in bad shape. Original car was Corvette Orange color and I was going to take her back to that color, but not sure I'll keep her. She has 80K miles on her and is a good driver car that I take to shows for fun. She has won as well because people like the way she sounds and looks. Engine needs updating, great candidate for a crate engine do-over.

I am in the process of procuring a nice 74 convertible as well which is getting great care now and I will take her and give her even more care to get her back to her original condition as well.

How about you. L-48 or L-82? Modified or stock.

David
Attached Images  

Last edited by AllC34Me; 09-06-2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Attached thumbnail of my Corvette Orange 77 Engine
Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Wow those are beautiful. Your orange 77 is what I aiming for. Everything is completely stock. L-48
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Wow those are beautiful. Your orange 77 is what I aiming for. Everything is completely stock. L-48
Have you gotten your delivery sheet for your 77? It will help determine where you are headed if you want to take it back to stock.

My aluminum wheels were added by the dealer after the sale and the first owner (I'm the third owner) saw one and like it, so he had them added. I have lots of documentation with this one including the delivery sheet. (attached). The only non stock item on the 77 Orange is the exhaust tips which I will be removing and replacing with stock tips yet this summer. Otherwise, it is completely stock. I have crawled all over this car to find the numbers and they match. I was missing the VIN number on the engine so I went back through the files and found the machine shop that did the work in 2003. Luckily for me they are still in business and they produced a document declaring they did the work and removed the number when blocking the engine. The guy wanted no leaks and wanted it repainted so he had it removed to do that. Anyway, the key to the stories being accurate are documentation. I also have the original sales sheet from 1977, have a letter from the original owners daughter, she searched and found some more data and was willing to send it to me. I now have the original manual, keyplate, knock outs from the keys, and a few stories she shared about how her mother had a fit when her dad brought it home.

If you don't already have this you might want to get it from Allied Vaughn, it has been very helpful to me. Here is the Orange delivery sheet for my Orange. 1977 Orange Corvette Delivery Sheet.pdf
If yours is an Orange 77 it might be a cousin to mine, your VIN will tell you how far from mine it was built.

One last quick story. The Red 77 was Orange when it came off the assembly line, should be orange again now, but may have to pass and move on to the 74. They were built about 2500 cars apart.

Enjoy and share pictures when you can.

David
77Sleeper
Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Lou68
Intermediate

I used a block and tackle to lift the body which is rated at 1000 lbs. I left the doors on and radiator support however the interior and bumpers were removed.

Lou
Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyPit
I do believe in safety. However the body dolly on the forum maybe a bit overbuilt. I just did a body lift about 1 week ago. Go to homedepot and get some HEAVY ratchet straps (yellow and about 2.5-3.5 inches wide). You can hook them just behind the front tire and in front of the rear tire in the metal rocker channel. I used an engine hoist. In my opinion the 4 person lift would be a back issue. You are looking at around 800 lbs. 4 with one in front (support only, no lift) and rear for the same may work. However, the lift gives you some added control. Also what I did was lift the body, and built the front and rear of a body buck then I slid the front and rear portions into place. I then bolted some side (lateral supports) on. If I needed to, I could role the chassis out from under the buck. I used 4x4's for the uprights on the buck, and 2x4s for the crossbracing.
One note. I put some stress on the doors. I think this could be avoided with a square 2x4 frame placed above the door to spread the load outboard of the door (if i am making since). PM me if you need help, you can call me, I can probably talk you through the process.

I agree, my buddy just did this a few weeks ago, the 2x4 box frame abve the doors really helped, dont know if you can see it, but there is braceing from the hinge to the door latch for rigidity. He is making one of the frames in angle iron and attaching an engine leveler to it so the body goes down perfectly straight to clear the rear corners of the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To Weight of Corvette Body

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight of Corvette Body