Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing idler pulleys

Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Jobie1998
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing idler pulleys

Hi I am new to the forum and had a question about my squeaky pulleys on both my a/c and main drive...

First, is there any place where I should be buying them,(besides the dealer), and is it necessary to change the whole tensioner assembly, instead of just replacing the pulley/bearing itself? And can you buy just the pulley without the tensioner? Same question for the A/C idler and tension pulleys...

Any tips for the install: like torque specs for the bolts for both tensioner pulley and idler and are they the same? Does it matter which side is which? or is there a front and back to them?
(No I haven't bought the service manual yet)

Thanks in advance...
Great forum lots of great post...
Joe
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 PM
ValiantSailor
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, how about going over to the C5 tech forum and doing a search? There should be many posts over there on this subject.
The following users liked this post:
lu21780 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Jobie1998
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ValiantSailor
Joe, how about going over to the C5 tech forum and doing a search? There should be many posts over there on this subject.
Hey thanks but the problem is that there are so many post that you either have old references to part numbers or just talk about the main drive belt system...

I would like some information on the A/C belt system with current numbers for the idler pulleys, (stock GM,AC Delco, Gates,Goodyear,Dayco...ect) I did get that the two, idler and tensioner pulleys are the same and that helped but I am finding it really hard to find one here in Sacramento...

Went to a Kragens here and never again, (I know, don't say it),..I asked for the pulley and the counter person said "There is just the tensioner and I have never heard of an idler pulley...maybe there aren't two and you don't know what you are taking about"...and I said YOU need to re-educate yourself because you are an idiot...

Anyway...if you guys can help with the part numbers that would be great...

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by Jobie1998; 08-20-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM
coast7
Racer

Hi Jobie1998,

I have some info for your '98 vert:

TENSIONER, A/C COMPR BELT IDLER, GM#12560345
TENSIONER, DRV BELT, GM#12558325
PULLEY, A/C COMPR BELT IDLER, GM# 12557334 (AC DELCO #15-4669)
TORQUE TO 50 N.M OR 37 LB-FT

I purchased them at my dealership, they weren't too expensive and I needed them right away. If you have time to wait to mail order, check with one of our Forum Vendors. Any A/P store should have the serpentine belt if you want to stay away from the dealer. It's a pretty simple removal and installation procedure. Only basic hand tools needed.

BTW, I have a gently used set of the 3-volume GM Shop Manual for a 98 C5. Kept my old set when I bought the '02. Make me an offer if you are interested!

HTH
coast7
Originally Posted by Jobie1998
Hey thanks but the problem is that there are so many post that you either have old references to part numbers or just talk about the main drive belt system...

I would like some information on the A/C belt system with current numbers for the idler pulleys, (stock GM,AC Delco, Gates,Goodyear,Dayco...ect) I did get that the two, idler and tensioner pulleys are the same and that helped but I am finding it really hard to find one here in Sacramento...

Went to a Kragens here and never again, (I know, don't say it),..I asked for the pulley and the counter person said "There is just the tensioner and I have never heard of an idler pulley...maybe there aren't two and you don't know what you are taking about"...and I said YOU need to re-educate yourself because you are an idiot...

Anyway...if you guys can help with the part numbers that would be great...

Thanks
Joe

Last edited by coast7; 08-20-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If your tensioner is good you can just replace the pulleys. I would also replace the idler pulleys at the same time. Most autoparts stores will have the serpintine belt tensioner pulley, however the others may have to be ordered. You can also contact Gene at gmpartshouse ( a forum sponsor) and he can get you all 4 pulleys. for serpintine and ac belts.

Here's a post by forum member Evil-Twin.

You have two belt systems on your car. One is the drive belt system, the other is the air conditioner belt system.
The drive belt system consists of the serpentine belt,the power steering pump, alternator/gen, water pump, harmonic balancer, idler pulley,belt auto tensioner pulley.
The AC belt system consists of the compressor, harmonic balancer,idler pulley, belt auto tensioner pulley.
First thing you need to do is isolate which system is squeaking. this can be done by releasing tension on the drive belt tensioner and removing the serp belt. This is the outboard belt of the two belt systems..if the squeak goes away, then it is the belt or a component of the drive system.
If the squeak is still there, then it is a component of the ac belt system.
to verify this release the belt tension from the tensioner and remove the belt. if the squeak goes away, then it is a component of the ac belt system..
A common problem is the belt tensioner on either system.. but verifying which system is at fault is the proper procedure.
You could replace both belts, but you may still have the squeak. So if you want to find the culprit, isolate the system, then spray the belt of the offending system and see if the squeak goes away. Try to stay away from the idler and tensioner while spaying..
I find that belt dressing may be good to identify a belt problem, but it is a temporary fix at best..
The real problem has been the tensioner and the idler.. both of these components have a sealed bearing which has been know to dry up or redirect the grease away from the bearing, thus causing the squeak.
If you find that a belt change does not correct the problem, then a change of both the idler and tensioner pulley is in order. If you just change the idler or the tensioner alone, it will cause the other component to go bad in a month or so. This has been the case with many members..There was a change made to the dusts seals to help correct this problem in newer C5's.
Lots of tensioner and idler pulleys have been identified as a problem.. and it can effect either system. One is not more prevalent than the other. So find out which system is squeaking first, in the drive belt system, it could also be the bearing of the alternator, power steering pump, or water pump too, but these are less probable.
I hope this makes things a little clearer

ET

Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's the idler pulley service bulletin:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...+Idler+Pulley)

I ordered the idler pulley only from http://www.gmpartshouse.com/ (forum vendor), cost was about $55.00 with shipping.

Garage installed it along with a new Gates serpentine belt...engine is nice and quiet now.

Last edited by Cheech Wizard; 08-21-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 AM
KeyoRacing
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem with my 99 it would come and go...I changed both pully's still would come and go. I got real bad and i was about to change the pully's again. Then I went and got some belt dressing and hit the belts and it went away but came back in about an hour. BUT, what that told me was it wasn't the pully's it was the belts.
Got Goodyear gator belts and it's been great ever since.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:28 AM
Jobie1998
Intermediate

Thanks guys...and thanks for the help...this is a great place...I am glad I decided to get another vet after 20 years...my last was a 75 T Top and before that was a 71 big block 454 "Rock crusher" Muncie 4 speed...wish I had that one back...

BTW: does anyone here have the torque specs for the pulleys? I see that it is 37ft pound for the main drive idler but what about the rest of them?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

I recently replaced all my pulleys.......here is what I found.

The serpentine pulleys are easily available from RockAuto.com......the AC pulleys I could only get from GM......I used GMPartshouse.com.

I would suggest you replace all the drive and idler pulleys first......they if you still have issues look at replacing the tensioners.

The AC pulleys are a major PITA to replace.......at least they were for me. The Serps are a snap to do.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Jobie1998
Intermediate

For the AC, I pulled the top idler pulley and installed the belt, then reinstalled the upper pulley and kept the tensioner lose with a wrench on its bolt while tightened it so I wouldn't put a strain on the threads of the idler.... I could easily get the thing back together and be on my way...

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To replacing idler pulleys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing idler pulleys