C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Four Wheel Alignment Today - Toe Was Out of Spec On All 4 Wheels

Old 08-01-2008, 11:50 AM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got a Four Wheel Alignment Today - Toe Was Out of Spec On All 4 Wheels

At Modshack's suggestion, I had a four wheel alignment done on my car today. The car has approximately 4,800 miles on it. The toe on all four wheels was significantly out of spec. I know others on the forum have had similar results, including Modshack.

The front toe was the worse. 1.19 degrees total toe. Factory spes are -.10 to .20. The rear was .61 degrees total toe. Factory specs are -.20 to .20. Now all four wheels are well within the factory specs. I just wanted to pass this on to others who might want to have their alignment checked.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Pecanman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1500 miles showing. Have mine planned for next Wednesday ZPirate. Good info.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Pecanman
Yes, Do it!!

As I've said before, the chances of getting an "on spec" alignment out of the factory is slim to none... Figure 10 potential adjustments in 3 minutes of rack time?....

Everyone here is always complaining about inside tire edge wear down the road a few miles...Some have even shown pics of the cords and metal belts showing.....This is TOE induced, NOT camber as many surmise. Toe was out on 3 of my 4 wheels, and 4 of 4 on Zpirates car....
Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pecanman
I think it is well worth it to get the alignment done. Certainly a lot cheaper than new tires.

BTW it cost me $89 for the four wheel alignment. Took the tech approximately one hour to do it.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep I know what ya mean. I just had mine done, 27K miles, 4 new tires, balance and 4 wheel alignment. The guy said that just about every corvette he aligns, is "way" outta factory spec.
It now feels like a brand new ride. steering feels tight again.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 PM
2009 C6
Racer

Looks like I'm putting a four-wheel alignment on my list.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading Modshacks post on tire wear, I got my 08 in Monday. Camber was -1.1 on the left, -.5 on the right. Toe was out a touch on left also. The technician took the extra time and set everything to spec, Zero +/- numbers..
Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nwc6
After reading Modshacks post on tire wear, I got my 08 in Monday. Camber was -1.1 on the left, -.5 on the right. Toe was out a touch on left also. The technician took the extra time and set everything to spec, Zero +/- numbers..
That's great! I'm glad you had them check.

BTW I didn't mention it in my original post, but my camber was fine all the way around. Just the toe was out of spec.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM
A-Pex
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any performance guys and/or tuners out there heard anything about making sure your 'vette is "toe'd in" on the front end to reduce tramlining?

The folks at RMCR recommended this to me, and I thought I'd see if anyone else had similar experiences/results.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Originally Posted by A-Pex
Any performance guys and/or tuners out there heard anything about making sure your 'vette is "toe'd in" on the front end to reduce tramlining?

The folks at RMCR recommended this to me, and I thought I'd see if anyone else had similar experiences/results.

toeing it in will help reduce tramlining, however at the expense of steering response. Toe in will make the steering a bit sluggish, depending on how much toe in you give it.

I like to have 0 toe and prefer to have crisper steering response in exchange for the little bit of tramlining that may occur.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 AM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Good point. The steering response on my car felt noticealby better as soon as I got in the car after the alignment.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car's steering was great, I could not tell anything was wrong. I'm sure in another 5K miles or so, I would have found the left front chewed up on the inside. New car or not, I would have the alignment checked soon after it comes home.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:06 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

That is the first thing I do also. I try to get the dealer to check alignment as part of buying the car, even on the Corvette. You cannot trust the alignment from the factory. They only have a few seconds to rough align the car as it comes off the assembly line.

The last time I bought a GM car, the dealer would not align it until it looked like there was a problem. I drove the car for a few weeks, took it to the alignment shop of my choice, and sent the bill to the service department at the dealer. GM reimbursed me for the cost of the alignment.

One other point is that the car can be "within factory specs" and still be set too aggressive for the way you drive and acceptable tire wear. My Z06 came from the factory with -1 deg. camber, and with wide tires, I was getting noticeable inside tire wear within 1000 miles. I gradually backed off the camber, and found that anything more than about -1/8 deg. will give you significant inside tire wear for street driving.
When you get an alignment, you need to be able to TELL the shop what settings you want. Don't just trust them to set everything to factory specs.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Everyone here is always complaining about inside tire edge wear down the road a few miles...Some have even shown pics of the cords and metal belts showing.....This is TOE induced, NOT camber as many surmise. Toe was out on 3 of my 4 wheels, and 4 of 4 on Zpirates car....
Not entirely.
I set my toe-in to zero and left the camber at -3/4 deg. and I still got significant inside tire wear. Toe-in will make the problem worse by causing feathering wear, but you need to reduce the camber to -1/8 deg or less to eliminate inside wear.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 AM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

I just came back from a long drive in the twisties this morning. It's amazing how much better the steering response feels after the alignment.

I was also wondering if the fact my car was shipped from PA to NC when I purchased it affected my alignment. I know it was strapped down in the trailer.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Not entirely.
I set my toe-in to zero and left the camber at -3/4 deg. and I still got significant inside tire wear. Toe-in will make the problem worse by causing feathering wear, but you need to reduce the camber to -1/8 deg or less to eliminate inside wear.
Not my experience, but YMMV....Heres a tire (Bridgestone SO3) with 20K miles on it that was mounted on an Audi TT witjh -.8 degrees camber up front and -1.6 degrees in the rear. Toe neutral up front and toe in of 1/16th rear. Not bad for a high performance tire on a highly cambered car. Driving (cornering) usually compensates for any camber related wear issues resulting in generally even wear across the tread. if you're a highway cruiser with an alergy to aggressive cornering (as many are here) then I'd agree that camber will play a bigger part in tire wear.

Corvette GS2 tires at 10K and On spec alignment:
Fronts:

Rear:

As I said earlier, your mileage may vary, but there is NOTHING wrong with the factory specification, provided it is ON SPEC and not at the outer edges of the range...

Last edited by Modshack; 08-03-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 559 Likes on 319 Posts

Can any suspension/alignment gurus recommend specs for a good street alignment. I would like to hand the tech a set of specs to go after versus just letting them get within spec. Looking for a good set of numbers for a good "tire life/handling" compromise. I know you have to give up one or the other, but figure there must be a good middle ground for street use that also leaves in a bit of descent handling.

Get notified of new replies

To Got a Four Wheel Alignment Today - Toe Was Out of Spec On All 4 Wheels

Old 08-03-2008, 10:30 PM
ZPirate
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by miami08VETTE
Can any suspension/alignment gurus recommend specs for a good street alignment. I would like to hand the tech a set of specs to go after versus just letting them get within spec. Looking for a good set of numbers for a good "tire life/handling" compromise. I know you have to give up one or the other, but figure there must be a good middle ground for street use that also leaves in a bit of descent handling.
A good alignment shop should be able to get you right in the middle of the GM specs. My shop gave me a printout showing the camber and toe before the alignment as compared to the GM specs and after the alignment as compared to the specs. My car's alignment specs are now right in the middle of the acceptable GM spec range.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZPirate
A good alignment shop should be able to get you right in the middle of the GM specs.
Yup..They should have this in the database of their alignment machines.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
JOHN MOORE
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZPirate
At Modshack's suggestion, I had a four wheel alignment done on my car today. The car has approximately 4,800 miles on it. The toe on all four wheels was significantly out of spec. I know others on the forum have had similar results, including Modshack.

The front toe was the worse. 1.19 degrees total toe. Factory spes are -.10 to .20. The rear was .61 degrees total toe. Factory specs are -.20 to .20. Now all four wheels are well within the factory specs. I just wanted to pass this on to others who might want to have their alignment checked.
Where did you get your alignment done? I live in Wilson, and have an '08 with less than 1500 miles. May be my imagination, but it seems like it wants to drift to the right a little. Air pressure is 30 cold, and I don't notice any wear, yet. I think for peace of mind, I'd like to get it checked/set by a good shop. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a Four Wheel Alignment Today - Toe Was Out of Spec On All 4 Wheels