Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

headlight diagnosis for 88

Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default headlight diagnosis for 88

I would like some advise/help on the diagnosis of my 88 rt headlight. It opens partially but not fully. How do I know if this is the motor, a gear, acctuator or what the problem is?

I don't want to get charged for a new motor if that isn't the problem. If anyone knows, or knows where I can find information I would greatly appreciate it.

Every so often it will open fully as it is suppose to - but that is rarely the case.

Thanks!

Last edited by ottawabarber; 07-19-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:21 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You need to remove the headlight motor and then take it apart and look inside to see any obvious bad parts. The most likely is a damaged plastic gear preventing full opening. Next is a plastic shaft bushing which can be also defective and cause binding. Third, there are some rubber bumpers that allow torsional shock absorbing when the motor gets to the end of its travel, both opening and closing. Last, there are two switches, one at each end of the motor and they switch upon the stopping torque at the end of the motor travel and shut the motor off and set up for rotation reversal.
[old Chinese proverb] One picture is worth 10,000 words [old Chinese proverb]
Old 07-20-2008, 11:22 AM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your advise and opinion of what my problem may be and what to look for.

I will use some of the other threads and the "sticky" tech information to remove the motor and disassemble and see what looks amiss. I just recently purchased this car with just 22,500 miles on it. Seems that maybe lack of use could be more of an issue than constant use. Your suggestions are certainly the logical way to tackle this.

Agaiin, thanks!

Larry
Old 07-20-2008, 03:52 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can hear the motors spin as they should light only partly up and motor continues running until it completes cycle its usually a problem with the plastic bushings. Common problem after some years. I picked up a repair kit and fixed them.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 PM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Is that the repair kit by Ecklers?

What you describe is very similar to my problem - appears that many 88's / C4's have this issue. Repair looks rather straight forward, just (from what I am reading on the forum) it requires a lot of time to do. Time is not a factor, just hope I don't get in over my head doing the repair. Guess worse case scenario is I buy a replacement motor and swap my old one out.

Replacing bushings or gears is LOTS cheaper though - and the Chevy dealer will cost me an arm, leg, and my first neutered child to do it vs. me doing (attempting to anyways) myself.

I appreciate this forum a LOT, and the years of experience, trial and error is priceless!!! Would make a great Visa commercial... there is no substitute for exerience. Thanks for the input, and those other threads that offer great tips and "how to" suggestions that aren't found in manuals.

I will make the attempt to fix this myself first, and see what my limited mechanical experience accomplishes. If I fail, then so be it, but the ownership of this outstanding car requires that I at least make the attempt.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It's a good weekend project. It'll take you about two hours the first time you do it, faster on the next side of the car.

Check out these instructions from Corvette Fever. Definitely don't get raped at the Chevy dealer. They'll charge you more than $400 plus labor per headlight. I fixed mine using nylon bushings at Home Depot for under $2!

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/index.html
Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM
db1952
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same problem on my 88 vert (right side flopped and wouldn't open all the way). read through the various postings here, ordered the bushings and did them yesterday. (do both at the same time, somewhere somebody posted that if one is giving you trouble the other one is right behind it.) start to finish, i was done with both in 2-1/2 hours. not a lot of tools required, 13mm wrench and socket, 10mm socket, 1/4" socket, a phillips, a hammer, a punch and a couple of torx screw drivers. i'm a newbie, but i'll tell you it's a heck of a lot easier removing the bezel AFTER you pull the assembly than before you remove everything. couldn't resist replying to you, 'cuz i thought it would be a big job - and it really wasn't.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the encouragement - I ordered the bushings (both sides as that seems to be sound advise) Will post how it goes for me with limited mechanical skills. The photo's and explanations seem pretty straight forward so I will give it a try.

I called local Chevy dealer and they wanted $180 labor, and $560 for the motor/acctuator assembly YIKES!!! Seems a no brainer to try it myself, and worse case order a rebuilt motor from some of the online vendors.

Thanks again
Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM
jesredvette
Racer

If you decide that you don't want to deal with rebuilding it from scratch, there is a guy on ebay that usually has the assembly for sale @ a little over $200 per side. I bought from him for my '88 and it saved me a lot of time & hassle. Units were new AC Delco.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Do it yourself. It's a bonding moment between man/machine and you'll kick yourself once you realize you deceptively simple the procedure is.

Just take your time and follow the steps. We're here to help you if you run into any snags.

You never get tired of saving money.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Tomorrow is the day!! I have the whole day off, and weather is suppose to be 95 and HUMID
Thanks to all the forum members who have made suggestions, tips, and support to this newbie, semi handy, C4 owner.
  • I have received 2 sets of bushings as it was suggested that if I have to do the rh headlight, I might as well do the lh side too.
  • Picked up a 12 piece torx set ( they seem to be everywhere on the C4).
  • My socket set with both standard and metric
  • A container of white lith grease
  • WD40 (my friend for everything)
  • Clear food wrap to cover head light painted areas to keep greasy finger prints off
  • My always handy shop towels
  • Print outs from the various links and forum tips and photo's as my visual reference guide
  • My digital camera with fresh batteries to document my steps through the whole deal ( I will follow up with a write up from a beginners perspective afterwards)
  • Some good CD's for the "blaster", and some COLD Miller Lite for celebrating the smooth opening and closing of my headlights ( my idea of champaign

Again, THANKS forum members for all you have offered me regarding my doing this myself vs. the $$$$ Chevy dealer!

To be continued......
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 AM
SteelBlue90
Racer

I just did my RH motor last week. Three new bushings and new compression pin (5/32") and it's good to go. I've now done both sides. First one ( a couple years ago) took me about 1 1/2 hour. Last weeks took about an hour, mainly because I had to remount the assembly in the car twice. First time I didn't pay enough attention to the wiring and pinched it behind the motor. Had to drop the whole thing back out again.

Also, on both of mine, the compression pin split as I knocked it out. I got a couple at TSC for $.41. Total cost of repair: $7.41 - Bushings from Ecklers $7.00, compression pin from TSC $.41

Probably the only repair you'll ever do on your car that is under $10.00
Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Probably the only repair you'll ever do on your car that is under $10.00

With the exception of replacing the air filter or PCV valve...provided (on the latter) you don't break one of the plastic vacuum hoses in close proximity.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Well the day went great, and both of my headlights have been fixed with the bushing replacements being the problem.

My old high school friend stopped by this morning as I was getting ready to start on the rh as it was the original problem. He suggested taking it out to his place where he has a large garage and some good old country air to keep us cool as the day was hot and humid.

I forgot my camera, as I was intending to document the whole process . But for anyone who has not done this, and is expecting to, well - it is actually pretty easy as everyone here told me.

The right side came out fine, and we had no problem with getting the roll pin out and the gear open - we did struggle getting the gear out, and when it did, it looked just like the photo's on the forum of the powder/crumbled plastic. It looks like the raw sugar in the little brown bags at the coffee shop. Reassembly was ok, except fat fingers and getting the linkage hooked up again. I used wood shims to help center the assembly in my opening - worked great.

Took everyone's advise and did the drivers side also. Glad I did as it was full of crumbs also {bigger pieces} so it was very close to failure also. This gear just fell out without any trouble, getting it finished and back in place was easier - maybe since we had just done the other, but it seemed that the motor itself was in better shape.

End result was --------- Sucessful, working, headlights.

To all of you that commented and told me that even a newbie/novice could probably tackle this - THANKS I got the job done, SAVED a ton of money, and the satisfaction of turning them on, and having them smoothly flip into position was worth the total time we spent of 4 hours.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM
SteelBlue90
Racer

I'm not sure just how much money this forum has saved me, but it has been worth it. And since I bought the car to tinker on and enjoy, even little victories make you feel good.

Glad you got them fixed. I couldn't bear to have a limp headlight on the front of my car.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

SteelBlue90

You are so right! I am very new here, but from my reading the posts I am learning a TON of information. It is refreshing to get sound advise from a wider range of owners who are HELPFUL and not critical of newbies like myself.

Nothing substitutes for experience and education - wherever you find it, and I have found both here.

Larry
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by ottawabarber
SteelBlue90

You are so right! I am very new here, but from my reading the posts I am learning a TON of information. It is refreshing to get sound advise from a wider range of owners who are HELPFUL and not critical of newbies like myself.

Nothing substitutes for experience and education - wherever you find it, and I have found both here.

Larry
I told ya! Another satisfied customer. I replaced mine more than six years ago and they're still working fine. Saved more than $600 in parts and labor, too.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

good for you I'm glad you did it yourself and that it went well.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:01 AM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onedef92
I told ya! Another satisfied customer. I replaced mine more than six years ago and they're still working fine. Saved more than $600 in parts and labor, too.
Yes!!! You did tell me, and you were so right. I was worried that I was getting in over my head - and it was easier than I could have thought. Also earlier you said, "never tire of saving money" - Yep!!! My quote to do the work was even higher than the $600 you saved - WOW !!! it feels great on the bank account. I also will now feel more comfortable taking on other small repairs - this was a confidence builder for me - I am a barber, not a mechanic!!! LOL

Get notified of new replies

To headlight diagnosis for 88

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headlight diagnosis for 88