Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Buzzing from speaker under dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Artdogg
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP - Buzzing from speaker under dash?

My 2000 C5 has started buzzing from a speaker under the dash on the drivers side. I think it's from the speaker that runs the door and ignition. the buzzing is eratic and is a cross between a radio not getting a station and the sound of an old dial-up modem the way the tones jump around. the "dinging" sound that takes place with the key is in the ignition sounds ok but once it stops the eratic buzzing starts. The buzzing is happening at all times, even just sitting in my guarge, I have been driving to work all week this way worring if it's going to kill my battery?

I am totally lost on what to do or even where to look? and help would be great!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 PM
richb1616
Heel & Toe

Probably time for a new speaker.... Turn the radio off completely the buzzing should stop
Old 07-25-2008, 04:27 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I forget the technical name of the part, but our '02 Trailblazer LTZ was doing the same thing recently. The module was in the dash directly in front of the driver seat. We also noticed that some of the memory functions were no longer working consistently (seats, mirrors, etc). The module controls certain functions of the vehicle.
It turned out to be a control module that was going bad. The sound was coming from the module as an indicator of pending full failure.
Check to see if all of your memory functions are working as they should.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thats a new one. There isn't a speaker under the dash. It has to be from something else. Can you tie it down?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Artdogg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by richb1616
Probably time for a new speaker.... Turn the radio off completely the buzzing should stop
this has nothing to do with the radio. in fact, since the buzzing has started I cannot listen to the radio as it's just to much noise with the buzzing and the music... but the radio works and sounds fine.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Artdogg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
I forget the technical name of the part, but our '02 Trailblazer LTZ was doing the same thing recently. The module was in the dash directly in front of the driver seat. We also noticed that some of the memory functions were no longer working consistently (seats, mirrors, etc). The module controls certain functions of the vehicle.
It turned out to be a control module that was going bad. The sound was coming from the module as an indicator of pending full failure.
I have not noticed any issues with the memory functions but will check them out tonight! thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Artdogg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Thats a new one. There isn't a speaker under the dash. It has to be from something else. Can you tie it down?
The sound does sound like it's right under the dash? the same place that the door/ignition buzzer is, isn't that under the dash?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Artdogg
The sound does sound like it's right under the dash? the same place that the door/ignition buzzer is, isn't that under the dash?
The door chime is on a different circuit to the radio although it feeds out from the speaker. If the module that generates the tone is bad that may explain it.

new to me though
Old 07-25-2008, 04:41 PM
BuffaloBillHisself
Instructor

Are you saying that this 'buzzing' is there even when the car/ignition is OFF?

If that is the case then that should narrow it down considerably.

Shouldn't it?

Jim
Old 07-25-2008, 04:44 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Maybe a can of Raid would take care of the buzzing?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Check the Bose LOGO on the center of the door speaker grill. Hold it down and see if buzzing stops. If it does I would take the door panel off and on the back of the speaker grill retighten the little prongs that hold the Bose name on, or put some RTV on it to dampen the vibration.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

I will tell u EXACTLY what that noise is, mine did the same thing. Inside the instrument cluster there is a speaker for the key in ignition chime. The speaker is soldered to the board. I opened up the cluster and cut the wire to the speaker. It was the most annoying sound you would want to hear coming from your car.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Artdogg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bandit 00C5
I will tell u EXACTLY what that noise is, mine did the same thing. Inside the instrument cluster there is a speaker for the key in ignition chime. The speaker is soldered to the board. I opened up the cluster and cut the wire to the speaker. It was the most annoying sound you would want to hear coming from your car.
This sounds like it could be it...

Some folks here are confusing this with a vibration type buzz for the radio or speakers which it's is NOT this is a static electrical type noise and it does seem to start and stop when the key is inserted or removed but it will continue buzzing after the key is removed? the static buzzing sounds will continue with the car shut off, key removed with me standing outside the car.

Has anyone repaired or fixed this module? what's involved time and expense?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:33 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bandit 00C5
You just answered a question that I've been asking ever since I joined the Forum. I had no idea it was a separate speaker. That thing bugs me when I'm detailing. I'll dig out th wiring diagram to work out where the electrical signal comes from

Thanks

Last edited by DeeGee; 07-26-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:48 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Artdogg
This sounds like it could be it...

Some folks here are confusing this with a vibration type buzz for the radio or speakers which it's is NOT this is a static electrical type noise and it does seem to start and stop when the key is inserted or removed but it will continue buzzing after the key is removed? the static buzzing sounds will continue with the car shut off, key removed with me standing outside the car.

Has anyone repaired or fixed this module? what's involved time and expense?
That kinda makes sense because the chime tells you when you've left the key in but have the door open. It should stop when you pull the key and close the door if its the chime though.

The other thing you might try if it is that is put the turn signal on and leave it on. After a set time ( a minute or so) the chime sounds to remind you. That may tie it down to that component.

Pulling the IPC is quite a job and involves a lot of stripping down. Search for gauge bezel replacement and you'll find a How To.

Heres the wiring diagram to show where the chime gets its inputs. Key in, door ajar, seatbelts not fastned and turn signal left on are the main ones.

Last edited by DeeGee; 07-26-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Artdogg
Heel & Toe

I have talked to the dealer today about this and they say it sounds like my instrument cluster and they want $800-$1000 to replace it!...to replace the dash cluster for a two dollar speaker! Was the instrument cluster replaced on your Blazer when this took place. i find it had to believe that this is going to be a $1000 problem?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Artdogg
Heel & Toe

I have talked to the dealer today about this and they say it sounds like my instrument cluster and they want $800-$1000 to replace it!...They want to replace the dash cluster for a two dollar speaker! Was the instrument cluster replaced on your Blazer when this took place. i find it had to believe that this is going to be a $1000 problem?

Get notified of new replies

To HELP - Buzzing from speaker under dash?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:08 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

On our Trailblazer, it was the module that needed to be replaced. The module wasn't that expensive...something like $200 (?) as I recall. But, the labor involved to R&R was @ $80/hr. The module is buried behind the instrument cluster. They ordered it and it came in two days later. The dash had to be completely torn apart, so the labor charge was most of the bill.
Luckily, with the GMPP extended warranty, we paid only the deductible and got a rental car included. It took two full days as I recall...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:31 AM
AllGensAdmirer
Intermediate

Location: Saratoga Springs, New York (Trinity, Florida January through April)
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have talked to the dealer today about this and they say it sounds like my instrument cluster and they want $800-$1000 to replace it!...They want to replace the dash cluster for a two dollar speaker! Was the instrument cluster replaced on your Blazer when this took place. i find it had to believe that this is going to be a $1000 problem?
On our Trailblazer, it was the module that needed to be replaced. The module wasn't that expensive...something like $200 (?) as I recall. But, the labor involved to R&R was @ $80/hr. The module is buried behind the instrument cluster. They ordered it and it came in two days later. The dash had to be completely torn apart, so the labor charge was most of the bill.
I'm having EXACTLY this same problem on my '02. :-( I see this thread is from almost 6 years ago.

Does anybody have a final resolution to this problem as far as what the fix was and how much it cost?

What about pulling a fuse? I can live without the key-in-ignition chime for 1000 bucks! ;-) Has anybody tried that?

Is there any other way to cut power to that annoying module and instrument cluster speaker? I really don't want to tear the dash apart.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 781 Likes on 534 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I was hoping to read about a solution for this problem. My 00 C-5 is doing this and it's getting worse. Like artdogg said now it does it even setting and it's starting to kill the battery. I'm thinking the problem is the BCM. Cutting the speaker wire will kill the noise but I don't think solves the problem. Any thoughts ?

Quick Reply: HELP - Buzzing from speaker under dash?