C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 or Royal Purple....Mobil 1 Vs. Wix

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 or Royal Purple....Mobil 1 Vs. Wix

ok just bought my usual Mobil 1 at autozone....cant seem to find wix filters around here....went to advanced to see if they had wix filters.....negative so i ended up grabbing one of those 10 dollar extended performance filter Mobil 1 sells....anything has to be better than AC delco...i mean **** it has to filter better it weighs twice as much as the ac delco...how does the mobil1 filter compare to the wix filters.....
On another note while i was at Advanced...I noticed they now sell Royal Purple synthetic motor oil... its not even a dollar more a quart than M1....Is RP that much better than M1? thought bout taking my M1 back and giving the RP a try with my new M1 filter....Your thoughts...................
Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
verano29
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
ok just bought my usual Mobil 1 at autozone....cant seem to find wix filters around here....went to advanced to see if they had wix filters.....negative so i ended up grabbing one of those 10 dollar extended performance filter Mobil 1 sells....anything has to be better than AC delco...i mean **** it has to filter better it weighs twice as much as the ac delco...how does the mobil1 filter compare to the wix filters.....
On another note while i was at Advanced...I noticed they now sell Royal Purple synthetic motor oil... its not even a dollar more a quart than M1....Is RP that much better than M1? thought bout taking my M1 back and giving the RP a try with my new M1 filter....Your thoughts...................

Napa Gold = Wix
Royal Purple is superior to M1
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea napa sells them but they overprice them, $7 and some change for a damn filter. Do what I did and buy a case of 12 WIX filters from ebay for $55 shipped. Also I picked up a case of RP for $80 shipped. You will save a few bucks doing it that way
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

WIX or NAPA GOLD will flow better than Mobil 1 oil filters. I got 10-15 psi more cold oil flow (since the C5 oil pressure sensor is AFTER the filter, more psi = more flow).

Standard DELCO Oil filters are NOT bad. The premium DELCO UPF-44 filter as do a Mobil 1 (too restrictive for me).

I think Mobil 1 is a great oil. I have heard some bad things from racers about Royal Purple, although I am sure it is a good oil for a street car.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you use Mobil 1 and a WIX filter, the engine will last longer than you want to keep your car. Heavier and more restrictive are not necessarily better when it comes to filters.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
WIX or NAPA GOLD will flow better than Mobil 1 oil filters. I got 10-15 psi more cold oil flow (since the C5 oil pressure sensor is AFTER the filter, more psi = more flow).

Standard DELCO Oil filters are NOT bad. The premium DELCO UPF-44 filter as do a Mobil 1 (too restrictive for me).

I think Mobil 1 is a great oil. I have heard some bad things from racers about Royal Purple, although I am sure it is a good oil for a street car.
I thought more pressure meant more restrictive? You get pressure from resistance...
Old 07-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Don
I thought more pressure meant more restrictive? You get pressure from resistance...
If you were measuring the pressure BEFORE the oil filter, you would be right. BUT more pressure AFTER the oil filter means a LESS RESTRICTIVE oil filter and MORE OIL FLOW. The pressure drop from before to after the oil filter is what shows the restriction of an oil filter.

The premium filters (Mobil 1 and DELCO UPF-44) actually filter "too good" at the expense of oil flow.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

If you were measuring the pressure BEFORE the oil filter, you would be right. BUT more pressure AFTER the oil filter means a LESS RESTRICTIVE oil filter and MORE OIL FLOW. The pressure drop from before to after the oil filter is what shows the restriction of an oil filter.

The premium filters (Mobil 1 and DELCO UPF-44) actually filter "too good" at the expense of oil flow.

It's the oil pressure AFTER the filter that matters.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 PM
jstrime
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default WIX Filter

You can also buy the WIX filters at O'Reilly's !!!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01

It's the oil pressure AFTER the filter that matters.
Ahh, you guys are right, I forgot the sensor is after the filter
Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by verano29
Napa Gold = Wix
yes i know this...there is neither a wix seller or napa store in the area
Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by verano29
Napa Gold = Wix
Old 07-18-2008, 11:59 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I use the K & N oil filter.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:14 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have never been able to justify the premium for boutique oils...
AS long it is a brand you know and trust and meets the GM4718M spec....
Old 07-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

so should i take the M1 back and get the RP? So whats the conclusion...should I take back the M1 filter and go with a delco or try and find a place that sells wix?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:00 AM
whylee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine using the Mobil oil and filters, I have used them for years.
Now if it was a fram filter, I would say throw it in the garbage can. Mobil, K&N, Wix, they are all good.
I like both RP and Mobil 1. I happen to use Mobil 1 in my engines and Royal Purple in my tranny's and diff's. just because its not as easy to always find the Royal Purple when its time to change the engine oil.

But it does look cool having purple oil
Old 07-19-2008, 01:27 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
so should i take the M1 back and get the RP? So whats the conclusion...should I take back the M1 filter and go with a delco or try and find a place that sells wix?
In the grand scheme of things, your M1 oil is fine, your M1 filter is fine. If you're not racing your car there is virtually no difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Mobil 1 or Royal Purple....Mobil 1 Vs. Wix

Old 07-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I use the K & N oil filter.
They did a test between a K&N and a WIX and when they took them apart the had pretty much the same filter media and anti drain back valve. I would not be surprised if K&N has WIX make their filters
Old 07-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think there's two different RP oils. The fear is they boost horsepower by sacrificing the stickiness oil needs to stay on your parts. Less resistance and drag on the moving parts equals horsepower. But I'd rather have oil that clings well to my parts so I use Castrol Syntec. It doesn't matter which synthetic you use if it gets changed out regularly, that's the key. I do use RP in the rear end, and tranny, and highly recommend it.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Lafd4me
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There was another thread on the RP -vs- Mobile 1
It might help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2070913

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 or Royal Purple....Mobil 1 Vs. Wix