C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air Conditioning a C1

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Air Conditioning a C1

Probably a frequent ask question but being a new C1 owner I don't get on this forum much. Anyway I just bought a 57 that is under construction. It was a old race car and only has 58K on it, It will be a resto rod with Fatman suspension, blown 355 etc etc (Please not flaming) My wife wants air in the car so I gotta get it. Which manufacture has the best unit for the C1? I had a Vintage Air in a street rod and was well satisfied with it but wanted to check with the experts first (you guys) to see which one you liked. Thanks for the info.....
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Rider
Probably a frequent ask question but being a new C1 owner I don't get on this forum much. Anyway I just bought a 57 that is under construction. It was a old race car and only has 58K on it, It will be a resto rod with Fatman suspension, blown 355 etc etc (Please not flaming) My wife wants air in the car so I gotta get it. Which manufacture has the best unit for the C1? I had a Vintage Air in a street rod and was well satisfied with it but wanted to check with the experts first (you guys) to see which one you liked. Thanks for the info.....

...I haven't made a choice yet but I am seriously considering this because the case is screwed together rather than glued and repair parts can be bought and replaced...and it has a large evaporator (they call it an a/c coil). Also the system is controlled using the original heater control panel for all of the air diverter doors and air temperature changes.

http://www.classicautoair.com/Corvette.asp

Good luck...Stan..

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-18-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Hot Rod Air... somewhere on here is a thread about mine and others install...

here it is....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1540091

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 07-18-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added archived thread
Old 07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
56 Texas
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Classic Auto Air unit on my '56 and have been very happy with it ...
Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 56 Texas
I have the Classic Auto Air unit on my '56 and have been very happy with it ...
Classics intro sheet on their web site only shows 58-62? Do they actually have a unit for the 56-57s?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey thanks guys, I will check out each suggestion and I am sure I will have more questions on other stuff as I said I purchased the car in process but paid to have it completed so I got lots of questions.

BTW from looking at you avatars you have some way cool cars there.....

Last edited by Low Rider; 07-19-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 07-19-2008, 02:40 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Classics intro sheet on their web site only shows 58-62? Do they actually have a unit for the 56-57s?
As of now---------------to the best of my knowledge, there is NOT a 56-7 specific AC system available. Although, if you're pretty good a fabricating/modifying, it should be fairly easy to adapt a 58-62 to fit the 56-57.
I have wanted air in the 56 for many, many years, but I just haven't been able to do the mods to the car.
Also, I DO NOT want to eliminate the stock, factory 56-7 heater system, so if I were to add air, I want an air ONLY add on system.
One last thing, I want to retain the "original" look of a generator. There is a guy in Tex who can supposedly modify a generator to put out about 40amps, which should be adequate for an add-on air system.
So, why don't I want to convert to an alternator? Like I said, I want to retain the look of a generator.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DZAUTO perhaps this would help someday. It looks like a generator but is an alternator. Save the Wave.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DZAUTO, oops I forgot the link. http://www.gener-nator.com/ Save the Wave.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

You might want to rethink the AC. Blown engines run real hot and C-1s do not have a real large area for the radiator. Look at all the threads with stock engines that run too hot.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 AM
56 Texas
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

they used a universal street rod unit and made it fit like it was made for it .. has AC, defrost and heat .. works like a new car .. took repro ***** for the dash and made them fit the new controls .. I have a Be Cool radiator and Keisler 5 speed - the car is a joy to drive .. even in the Texas heat!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 AM
tomply32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default c1 corvette air

we put a unit from southern air aka southern rods in my 61 vette .small block with blower .worked great with no overheating and it gets hot in south florida.the secret is have a good quality rad/fan set up and use a condenser/fan assm. remotely in rear above the axle (there is room) we had a narrowed 9 inch .if this is attempted condenser cannot be flat has to be on an angle .unfortunatly no pics of underside car has been sold and went to texas.oh and also use the best a/c hose you can buy i heard there is a grey hose that is used in buses because of the length cheap hoses will have you recharging every 2 or 3 years.good luck
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low:
Congratulations on your new project.
I used Hot Rod Air and am happy with it. However I never run with the top up unless it is raining. In retrospect I should have put the money into restoring my hard top.

I suggest you consider insulating the heck out of the interior. I installed Dyna-Mat inside of the car from the windshield retaining bolts, down the firewall, along the floor and up behind the seats. I'm in a cocoon of Dyna-Mat. It is rubber based, does not absorb water and installs almost too easily. By that I mean once you peel the paper off of the sticky side make sure you place it where you want it. There is little or no adjustment once it sticks. A fabulous side benefit is that it water proofs all those little holes and seams we all have in our floors and fire walls. I get no water during rain events except from my windshield convertible top joint.
It keeps the road heat away from you as well and deadens the sound making the car a pleasure to drive.

Best Regards

Get notified of new replies

To Air Conditioning a C1

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning a C1