C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on vararam install - please help

Old 06-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Nickvet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default questions on vararam install - please help

I’m sorry if these questions have been asked before. I’m installing my Vararam today and have come across a few installation issues/questions.

First of all, what’s the gasket-type 33 inch length of tubular black rubber that’s supplied with the kit?

Second, is anyone using the throttle body spacer – is it worth it?

Lastly, it seems to me the opening I cut in the shroud has large gaps on the sides. Is this what you have also, and will it allow a lot of debris into the engine compartment? I think someone said they used duct tape to seal the gaps.

Thanks a lot for any input you can provide.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 PM
FUNTRUN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vararam help

The 33" gasket is what they give you to line the cutout. I didn't bother to use it myself. I am using the spacer. It was easy to install & I figured, what the heck ,I've got it I might as well use it.
Don't worry so much about the size of the opening as long as the unit fits and is not hitting on any side. When your done you can use tape to seal up the unit so debris doesn't become an issue. You can also make an intake shroud cover using sheets of black plastic that you can buy at any plastic/foam outlet. Or you can buy one from one of the forum venders.
Enjoy.

Dan
Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Default Fit and finish

The Black Duct tape (Duck Brand) is made to order in this case. Take your time and you can really finish things off quite nicely. Here is the install information I'd posted a few weeks ago: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2040131
Old 06-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Nickvet
Instructor

Thanks Dan - I appreciate your response. Today I measured the gap. It was 3 inches on top so I riveted a piece of the shroud I cut back onto the original. It worked out well and with the supplied gasket the gap is now only about a half inch at most all the way around. I didn't use the spacer since I didn't have any additional patience at the time. I also spoke with Patrick at Vararam and he was very willing and helpful. He spent a good 35-40 minutes on the phone with me. Top notch guy.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:11 PM
pc07vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still can't for the life of me understand why Vararam can't provide a template that cuts the opening the correct size. It's a shame that anyone should have to use a $5.00 roll of duct tape on a $40,000 dollar Corvette. I know most people really like the added performance but duct tape?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just taped the template over the shroud and cut it with a box cutter. I set the blade as low as it would go and no issues. Mine came with a nice piece of moulding that went around the cut afterwards. It looks and functions just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To questions on vararam install - please help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: questions on vararam install - please help