C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kumho Tire Question

Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Default Kumho Tire Question

Like others I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a suitable replacement tire for my 2006 C6. I have 2 questions regarding Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires.

If I stay away from runflats because I can;t find availability in the sizes needed would these be a suitable replacement non-runflat?

Note that this tire comes in 245/40 in both 18 and 19 inch rims, anyone tried running same size tire on the front and back?

Primary concerns are tread wear and highway use.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:23 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
Like others I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a suitable replacement tire for my 2006 C6. I have 2 questions regarding Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires.

If I stay away from runflats because I can;t find availability in the sizes needed would these be a suitable replacement non-runflat?

Note that this tire comes in 245/40 in both 18 and 19 inch rims, anyone tried running same size tire on the front and back?
At least get the correct sizes!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

ttt
Old 05-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

I put a set of the Kumho's on my 05. They make the correct sizefor the rear now but somehow the tire shops catalogues are not up to date. Anyway, I love these. They are very quiet and smooth. They balanced nicely. I have no problems at all. They are Z rated so they must meet certain standards. I would recommend them.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:42 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I have Kumho Ecsta tires on my Volvo. The only issue I have had is a get a lot of bubbles in the sidewalls. There are a ton of potholes in my area and my Kumho's are low profile (P235/45ZR18's) but I have had 3 different tires develop bubbles in a year. Luckily I had Road Hazard Insurance and they were covered 100% but it was still a PITA to deal with. My former PZero tires went 12k miles with no bubbles over the same roads.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 AM
NewC6guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Kumho ecsta SPTs in the stock size and I think they are awesome and @ 670 bucks shipped from Tire Rack they were a great deal.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Larry B.
I put a set of the Kumho's on my 05. They make the correct sizefor the rear now but somehow the tire shops catalogues are not up to date. Anyway, I love these. They are very quiet and smooth. They balanced nicely. I have no problems at all. They are Z rated so they must meet certain standards. I would recommend them.

Have them on my 06 in the OEM sizes. I recommend them as well!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
tv_dir
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. I gave in and got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Run-Flats in the rear ...and the Kuhmo Run-flats in front, all four factory size.

To my amazment No problems with about 400 miles on them. Much better then matched Good Years.

--Mike--
Old 05-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Oops...Sorry, I didn't follow my own #1 rule here...RTFQ (Read The F***ing Question)! The OP was asking about the new Kumho Platinum tires. I haven't seen where those are available in stock C6 sizes. I (along with several others here) have the Kumho ECSTA SPTs and absolutely love them. I've seen posts about a Kumho run-flat and am eagerly awaiting more info on those. Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 PM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

the SPTs are better suited for the C6.

they have a VERY high tread wear rating and should last a long time (keep in mind this is probably 20 - 25k miles). You will not see 50k+ in any tire due to the limited tread to start with.

And you must keep the ratio of rolling diameter the same front and back in order to keep traction control happy. you can change them as much as you want as long as the ratio is the same.
Also your speedo will be off if you change the RD of the rear tire.

as far as going with 245s in the back, they are rated for a maximum of a 9.5" rim, so it's too small for the vette's rear. not to mention that the SPTs in the proper size are actually cheaper.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the timely inputs, great forum. I want the Firestone wide oval rft's but looks like it will be SPT's or PS2's till there available.
Maybe Bridgestone will put something out soon in the C6 sizes, I've had good luck with them on the wifes Lexus over the years.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

I'm waiting for my set of Kumhos to come in to Discount Tire right now. They matched the TireRack price, plus fixed my slow leak impressively back on April 1st for Free!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
At least get the correct sizes!
I agree. Stay with the correct sizes. I know people would love to put the same size all around and throw a spare in the back. I think that would destroy the handling of the Vette though and possibly look weird with either too fat tires on the front or two thin tires on the rear.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I agree. Stay with the correct sizes. I know people would love to put the same size all around and throw a spare in the back. I think that would destroy the handling of the Vette though and possibly look weird with either too fat tires on the front or two thin tires on the rear.
In addition to that your active handling and traction control will malfunction and not operate properly.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 PM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

I heard nothing but great things about Kumho tires, they will be my next set for sure.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

Originally Posted by LMB 4 ME
I heard nothing but great things about Kumho tires, they will be my next set for sure.
Just had mine put on yesterday!! Very impressed so far after a nice ride afterward. Immediately I noticed they were quieter and just felt good! Of course my OEM tires had over 25,000 miles on them and were ready for replacement! Was interesting to compare the amount of tread left on my original, used tires and the brand new ones!
Another enlightenment: seeing both front and rear tires stacked next to each other! Huge difference in size when seen right next to each other!! No question of running same on both front and rear!
Great customer service at the Discount store in Texarkana as well as TireRack prices. Great job by Josh. Total cost out the door with taxes, fees, etc = $789.61

Get notified of new replies

To Kumho Tire Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kumho Tire Question