C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Z51 Replacement shocks

Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
corvette kidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z51 Replacement shocks

I am going to be replacing my shocks with in the month. Bilstein shocks are great from what I hear. (Original replacement) What about Koni Adjustables? Other that these two, what would you guys recomend???

I want the stiff ride but dont want to spend millions. I understand the stiff ride is not always desired but on an original Z51, it is required. I feel. Thank You
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

I have the QA1 12way adjustables...they are an incredible shock. Not cheap (about $550 for a set of 4), but you get what you pay for w/ these babies. And, unlike the Koni's, you can adjust them while they are on the car...just takes seconds. My car is lowered front & rear and these shocks add a level of confidence to the suspension like you can't imagine...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

LINK
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
corvette kidd
Instructor

Awseome. The car looks great. Also, with these shocks, will they lower the car at all? Do you have a lowering kit on your car? I completely understand; what you get it what you pay for. Thanks for the help
Old 05-13-2008, 12:10 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvette kidd
Awseome. The car looks great. Also, with these shocks, will they lower the car at all? Do you have a lowering kit on your car? I completely understand; what you get it what you pay for. Thanks for the help
Thx man.

No, these shocks will not lower the car any...the lowering is a separate gig altogether.
I didn't really use the "kit" to lower mine....just bought 12" bolts for the rear and followed
some good lowering advice to get the front the way it is.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:36 PM
corvette kidd
Instructor

cool.... the car looks real mean.. I want to lower my car a bit but not exactly sure how to go about it. I am goign to put up a post in general discussion to lower the car. Thanks for everything
Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvette kidd
cool.... the car looks real mean.. I want to lower my car a bit but not exactly sure how to go about it. I am goign to put up a post in general discussion to lower the car. Thanks for everything
I'll PM you my lowering info.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

If you are going to track or drive the car at the limit i fully endorse the Koni's since our other member has mentioned how good the Qs are. The rear konis do have to be taken off in order to adjust but this isn't something you do often. The bilstein z51s are a good deal but lack the control to run higher spring rates or even control the factory ones in tight fast switch back autocross. At least that's how the set i used for awhile were. I pushed on one next to a stock c5 shock and it was a good deal softer. The bilsteins feel really similar to the tokico blues which i actually run on an integra. they don't beat you up on long drives and can be quick if you have a smooth hand at the wheel.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I understand the stiff ride is not always desired but on an original Z51, it is required. I feel.
For driving on real roads the shocks need to match the springs for best ride and "real world" handling.

I had the Konis on an IROC-Z and hated having to remove them to adjust; the QA1s sound like the real deal, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Replacement shocks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z51 Replacement shocks