C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear coolant passages

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 AM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear coolant passages

Why is the rear coolant passages plugged on the intake gaskets for an L98? The gaskets I'm removing from my 89 have a small hole in a metal plate (which can also be removed for more coolant flow.) Wouldn't it be better for these to be opened up? The new gaskets which are the same felpro number don't even have a metal plate, but just gasket materal altogether. Can someone explain? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 374 Likes on 310 Posts

Are you sure you have the right gasket? I think that some of the earlier year engines don't have that back port and use the closed gasket. I have the Fel-Pro 1256 on mine with wide open ports.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Uh oh, maybe they gave me the wrong one. The guy didn't seem to know what he was doing.

Is the 1256 a perfect match for the heads? If not, how do I match it?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

The 1256 matched fine on mine, it just has the rear water passages full open. There is another gasket with the small holes in it, I don't remember the number.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

I would think it would be best to have full coolant flow on these engines as they seem to run pretty warm. Why would a person want the rear restricted like that?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:15 PM
stingrayvette
Instructor

Hey - I'm doing my intake gasket for an 89 L98 and have the same scenario. The gasket's have the rear water jacket blocked with an exception of a seep hole (about 1/8") and are stamped as rears. My FSM tells me to put the blocked port in the front. This does not make sense.

What did you end up doing?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
stingrayvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
The 1256 matched fine on mine, it just has the rear water passages full open. There is another gasket with the small holes in it, I don't remember the number.
Aardwolf - Did you have open ports from the beginning? Wondering if there was any change in the cooling going from restricted to open.

My gaskets kinda came apart during disassembly. I did find a piece of rectangle metal with a tiny hole in it but I'm not sure which passage was block, front or back so I believe I had the restricted.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

My stock '88 intake gaskets had the small hole in the rear port. No troubles using the gasket with fully opened ports. I've debated deleting the steam vent hose but haven't.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Stewball
Instructor

I was about to post and ask the same question. The FelPro overhaul gasket set I just bought has the restrictor plate and the directions from FelPro say to use it in the back. The gasket kit I bought off ebay from some guy down in Texas had fully opened ports. I see the topic is still up for debate???
Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I've debated deleting the steam vent hose but haven't.
Had mine deleted for years , never had a cooling problem if "burped " correctly.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by rodj
Had mine deleted for years , never had a cooling problem if "burped " correctly.
Good to know, do you have the full open rear ports?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Good to know, do you have the full open rear ports?
No , I bought a job lot of full TPI gaskets sets so have only ever used the factory type with restrictor.
As with the other comments , are at a loss to explain why rear port is not used in our setups but have never had any cooling probs.
Touch wood.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 AM
SPD KILS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend had his 88 motor completely rebuilt, it always ran hot. He installed a low temp fan switch and a 160 stat and it did not help. One day he decided to do a head swap. we noticed the rear water ports were restricted with a 1/8 hole. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the new metal block offs. The car has run cool ever since.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wanted to ask to you gurus..
.. I have Brodix heads with the rear coolant passages BIG and OPEN (if I correct remember..)
The Superram baseplate HAS also the rear coolant passages (if I correct remember.. ).

Obiouvsly I used gaskets (felpro 1206) with the BIG rear coolant passage OPEN.

But what I ask to myself....
What'S if I use an intake manifold without the rear coolant passage?
Where's going the coolant if the manifold don't allow the passage?
Which part of the motor will not be cooled anymore?
Thanks
-Beppe-
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by conv90
What'S if I use an intake manifold without the rear coolant passage?
Where's going the coolant if the manifold don't allow the passage?
Which part of the motor will not be cooled anymore?
Thanks
-Beppe-
Beppe , consider this.
Where does the rear passage go?
Only from one head to the other.At best it might pickup some heat from oil splash under intake; at worst it is adding unwanted heat to the intake.
Neither my Edlebrock Torker or Vic Jnr manifolds ( both popular performance intakes ) have rear coolant crossover.I don't believe my HSR has it either.

A SBC enters water into the block at the front (waterpump ) and exits from the heads via the front intake crossover to thermo housing.The water circulates in the block meanwhile.Nothing is setup to particulary direct flow across the rear crossover from one side to the other.
Some racers run hoses direct off the rear coolant ports to get better
( more even ? ) cooling .
The LTX engines have superior cooling because the coolant is directed to the heads first where the major heat is.
The following users liked this post:
Nilak (10-25-2023)
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodj
Beppe , consider this.
Where does the rear passage go?
Only from one head to the other.At best it might pickup some heat from oil splash under intake; at worst it is adding unwanted heat to the intake.
Neither my Edlebrock Torker or Vic Jnr manifolds ( both popular performance intakes ) have rear coolant crossover.I don't believe my HSR has it either.

A SBC enters water into the block at the front (waterpump ) and exits from the heads via the front intake crossover to thermo housing.The water circulates in the block meanwhile.Nothing is setup to particulary direct flow across the rear crossover from one side to the other.
Some racers run hoses direct off the rear coolant ports to get better
( more even ? ) cooling .
The LTX engines have superior cooling because the coolant is directed to the heads first where the major heat is.
Thank you Rodj, Perfect explanation!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Design was to keep the coolant at the rear of the heads longer to enable better cooling (and given the number of head gasket failures at #7, I often wonder how effective it was). To ensure adequate flow, coolant is delivered from the bypass at the heater core outlet. Design is unique to the Vette and wasn't used on the F Bodys, so when shopping for manifold gaskets, you need to specify that it's for a Vette, (though many have done away with it and when you do, you can plug the bypass). '91 is particularly difficult to find as the heads were also redesigned to accept intake gasket retainers and the F Body and/or ZZ4gaskets (without the restrictors) are generally all that's available. Also, for '89, ignore the Service Manual as it has the install backwards (corrected by a Bulletin).
The following users liked this post:
Nilak (10-25-2023)
Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

PS: Here's a link with a little more: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/TPIStory.pdf
Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 AM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

SunCr...thanks for the link. That's need-to-know information for anyone with a TPI car.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear coolant passages

Quick Reply: Rear coolant passages