Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] What a difference between Z06 and Zr1 Release

Old 05-04-2008, 01:01 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Default What a difference between Z06 and Zr1 Release

This time in 2005, this (as well as most other) corvette sites were seeing scores of daily posts and positively electric exitement about the soon to arrive C6-Z06.

Not so now with the soon to arrive ZR1.

I suppose the anticipated 100,000 + price tag coupled with the dealers 30,000 + additional markup and the slowing economy has dampened many peoples enthusiasm, I know it has done so to mine.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
This time in 2005, this (as well as most other) corvette sites were seeing scores of daily posts and positively electric exitement about the soon to arrive C6-Z06.

Not so now with the soon to arrive ZR1.

I suppose the anticipated 100,000 + price tag coupled with the dealers 30,000 + additional markup and the slowing economy has dampened many peoples enthusiasm, I know it has done so to mine.
I think the fact that the ZR1 looks like a Z06 with a glass hood insert and chin spoiler might be part of the reason. I think that once the ZR1 gets released for performance testing by the magazines you will see a little more excitement about the car.

Last edited by CORVETTEZL1001; 05-04-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Furia
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the unknown final performance and MSRP with already confirmed 30k+ marks up at some dealers are not so attractive?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM
DEAD EYE
Racer

People are going nuts about that GTR thingy.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DEAD EYE
People are going nuts about that GTR thingy.
the GT-R is really stealing the spotlight of all other automotive news. No one really talks about the new Viper ACR either
Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

I think its because the Nissan is a brand new car to the American market coming over here with tons of hype. The ZR1 and Viper look the same (pretty much) as they have for a while and only enthusiasts really care much about all of the performance changes. The average public has seen the Vette and Viper before not the Nissan.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree that there just doesn't seem to be the buzz that there was surrounding the release of the C6Z. I think a lot of people are pretty disappointed about the pricing situation.

I'm not sure if I buy into that nissan pile of monkey poop stealing the ZR1's thunder. I'd be surprised if I ever even see one of those things on the road where I live.

I will admit that maybe I am biased because I have the Z06 when I say this, BUT...

I think that what you get in the Z06 over the regular LS3 coupe is worth the money. The weight that is saved in the aluminum frame that comes with the Z is something that you can never really make up for.

I don't see enough differences between the ZR1 and the Z06 to justify the cost difference. I'm not really blown away by the LS9. The significant increased weight over the Z06 has left many very, very disappointed, to say the least. I'd love to have the brakes on my Z06 though.

Keep in mind that these are only my opinions.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:01 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorday
I'm not sure if I buy into that nissan pile of monkey poop stealing the ZR1's thunder.
Monkey who?

I'll do that.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

I agree that there just doesn't seem to be the buzz that there was surrounding the release of the C6Z. I think a lot of people are pretty disappointed about the pricing situation.

I'm not sure if I buy into that nissan pile of monkey poop stealing the ZR1's thunder. I'd be surprised if I ever even see one of those things on the road where I live.

I will admit that maybe I am biased because I have the Z06 when I say this, BUT...

I think that what you get in the Z06 over the regular LS3 coupe is worth the money. The weight that is saved in the aluminum frame that comes with the Z is something that you can never really make up for.

I don't see enough differences between the ZR1 and the Z06 to justify the cost difference. I'm not really blown away by the LS9. The significant increased weight over the Z06 has left many very, very disappointed, to say the least. I'd love to have the brakes on my Z06 though.

I think GM is doing it right, even though it seems kind of boring.

Base Vette to cover people like me. The price tag got me into a car that I didn't think I would be in (not because of money, but because I'm only willing to spend so much for a vehicle).

The C6 goes from low 40's to mid 60's. A nice spread.

Then the Z06 picks up from there in price and performance. For more hard-core Corvette people.

Then the Zr1 for those that want the ultimate.

Personally, I love the lines on the C6 cars. Maybe they are getting a bit long in the tooth, but I don't think so.

I think the Zr1 will easily hold it's own and will be fantastic. We just need to see some reviews on it so we can see where it places.

But seriously, who cars? Who is going to drive any of these cars at anything near 10/10's for anything other than very short durations?

It's good knowing what is underneath and what these cars can do, but the vast majority of the time we are driving them very tamely.

What I really love about the Vettes and what GM has been able to do is to provide plenty of performance with great gas mileage. I can drive my C6 without crying at the pump. I think this is a factor left out of many reviews and is one of the major achievements of the C6/Z06 cars.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
I'll do that.
mmmmkay bye.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 AM
monaroCountry
Pro

Why all these talk about the Nissan GTR Vspec when it looks like your evryday Nissan GTR.........which is an ugly thing to begin with. Or the Porsche GT2 which looks exactly like your 245hp Boxter.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:26 PM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Or the Porsche GT2 which looks exactly like your 245hp Boxter.
Have you had your vision checked lately? Even Dave Hill's grandma can tell them apart.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:06 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Why all these talk about the Nissan GTR Vspec when it looks like your evryday Nissan GTR.........which is an ugly thing to begin with. Or the Porsche GT2 which looks exactly like your 245hp Boxter.
I couldn't agree more about the UGLY factor of the Nissan GTR, but you have to admit it is a performer and the VSpec takes the power from 480to 550.

I'd never own something that ugly or ricey but I wouldn't want to be side by side against one, especially not with the paddle shift.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Agreed.

To take that thought one step further, I think you can also expect to see more excitement from a product more people can realistically afford.

Not that a ZO6 is a car that Joe Anybody can afford, but at 70-80k for a ZO6, more people can see the potential for owning a car like that some day vs. a car with a ZR1 cost of membership. Not many of us can afford a 100,000+ car, especially given you're not going to see below MSRP deals on them soon. (if ever.)

If you look at a ZO6, you're seeing them in the high 60's brand new off the floor. That's really not too far from a loaded Vert, so more people can get excited about them.

I love the ZR1 and I'm probably one of the only people who actually likes the ZR1 badge.

If I had the money, I'd own one.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I can't get at all excited about this car. Exposed carbon fiber, window in the hood (really what the heck is that about), and forced induction will keep me away. I would like the ZR1 brakes in my Z06 however.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

The good news is that there is a Vette for everyone out there. Different price levels for different options and performance. What's not to like?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:05 AM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey I'm looking at the realse of the ZR1 as a great opportunity to get a killer deal on a Z06. Im sure a lot of people who have the Z06 will be dumping them to get ZR1's. and there will be more of them out there at better prices.

Get notified of new replies

To What a difference between Z06 and Zr1 Release

Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbota
Hey I'm looking at the realse of the ZR1 as a great opportunity to get a killer deal on a Z06. Im sure a lot of people who have the Z06 will be dumping them to get ZR1's. and there will be more of them out there at better prices.
You don't need to wait for the ZR1 to see C6-Z06 prices fall, just look around now, they have dropped SUBSTANTIALLY in the last 6 months.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

What most people fail to realize (me included until talking with a GM rep) is that the Nissan did a RUNNING start at the N-ring!!! Others start from a dead stop.

Nissan and others don't tell you that.

I, for one, am extremely excited about the 638 HP ZR1.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:22 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Smallblock427
What most people fail to realize (me included until talking with a GM rep) is that the Nissan did a RUNNING start at the N-ring!!! Others start from a dead stop.

Nissan and others don't tell you that.

I, for one, am extremely excited about the 638 HP ZR1.
I don't think it matters. "The Ring" has become such a joke it's pretty sad. Use to be all I heard about were 0-60 performance figures and quarter mile times but now "What'll she do around the ring" is the first thing out of people's mouths. I knew about Nurburg but when the C6 Z was the first time I started hearing bragging about the ring. And that wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the infinite consistancies we always hear about and who knows we may be the ones not in the know.

I've heard the running start excuse for the Z06 as well. If it's not "The so and so Corvette did a running start" it's "That Corvette was a ringer car with race spec tires" or some other excuse. Call it a rant but it seems like anyone can come on here and defend a car or tear down another's credibility with "The Ring".

Definently ready to see Corvettes and GTRs on the same racetracks competing instead of hurling ring times back and forth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] What a difference between Z06 and Zr1 Release