C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Those who have deleted the AC without a delete pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Those who have deleted the AC without a delete pulley

I would like to delete the AC w/out the use of a delete pulley set-up. I want to also retain the use of a serp. belt, and if possible also get rid of the AIR delete pulley.
Ultimately I would like to only run the crank, w.pump, alternater and power steering pullies on one belt (if there was a method for a 2 serp. pulley system that would be fine as well.

I keep getting a "database error", so if this is archived I can't pull anything up.
The car is a 90, any pics. and part numbers will help. TIA, m7

Last edited by mseven; 05-07-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Thanks, sounds great email sent
Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

I moved the alternator to the passenger side.

I'd like to see rodj's pix though.

http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/a...r/100_0998.JPG
http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/a...r/100_0995.JPG
http://members.cisdi.com/~anesthes/a...r/100_1002.JPG

-- Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rodj
Got broadband ?
Could you send them to anesthes@cisdi.com as well?

-- Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Anybody else?
Let me know if you have broadband or not?
Big clear pics.

vetteoz@optusnet.com.au
Pix saved, thanks!

Gives me ideas. There is a few things I don't like about my setup, the spring loaded tensioner for example. I think for Rev2 I'm going to delete the tensioner, and run an adjustable static tensioner to replace one of my top idler pulleys. My setup is a little crazy though.

-- Joe
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
98Red
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a couple pictures of my setup. I changed my water pump to a normal rotation one. (1982 Corvette pump) I use an adjustment rod from March to tension the belt. This setup worked great with power steering and without. (just different lenght of belt) I turn this motor to 7500rpm and after 3 years I've never had any problems. Hope this helps.

Doug

Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Got broadband ?
cable, and from your email it appears that 98 Red's set-up is similar. That's good, I had seen on the march site a similar set-up. I prefer not using the fancy brackets, but the heim end for adjusting the alternater is good. However when I had seen that, I thought the measurments for a long pump made that un-usable due to the need for a shorter length crank pulley for the vette. This is what I wanted to do from the begining !!

Originally Posted by 98Red
Here's a couple pictures of my setup. I changed my water pump to a normal rotation one. (1982 Corvette pump) I use an adjustment rod from March to tension the belt. This setup worked great with power steering and without. (just different lenght of belt) I turn this motor to 7500rpm and after 3 years I've never had any problems. Hope this helps. Doug
Doug,
Yes it does and thanks for posting the pics, and that is a nie set-up. Mine won't be seeing 7500, but it will be up around 6700, so I'm sure between your set-up and rodj's being similar, I should be fine.

My understanding was that all standard rotation pumps where the long type. Is the 82 vette w/pump the same length as later model vette pumps? or still considered "long" ? what pulleys are you using (vette?), was anything done (aside from possible shims) to get alignment and or clearance to the rack or cross brace ?

The other question I have for both you guys, when running the Power steering, which side of the puley (or belt, however you want to look at it) did you use?
Thanks again for the info and posts
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mseven

My understanding was that all standard rotation pumps where the long type. Is the 82 vette w/pump the same length as later model vette pumps? or still considered "long" ? what pulleys are you using (vette?), was anything done (aside from possible shims) to get alignment and or clearance to the rack or cross brace ?

The other question I have for both you guys, when running the Power steering, which side of the puley (or belt, however you want to look at it) did you use?
Thanks again for the info and posts
Updated info;
You need a late model "short" pump. Approx 5 1/4 " from base to flange

Basically swap out WP pump , bolt on stock WP pulley and buy shorter belt.Use all stock pulleys and stock belt routing .Looking from the front belt goes over PS pump using outside of belt
Nothing changes as far as clearance; stock pulleys in stock location.

Last edited by rodj; 06-20-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Early SBC generally had the "short "pump."Long " pump has the ribs cast on the bearing snout

Basically swap out WP pump , bolt on stock WP pulley and buy shorter belt.Use all stock pulleys and stock belt routing .Looking from the front belt goes over PS pump using outside of belt
Nothing changes as far as clearance; stock pulleys in stock location.
That is way good ....I didn't know about the visual differences (ribs) on the pump. . This will make my set-up much nicer, Thanks for the info and the responses, it is appreciatted. Mick
Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 255 Likes on 213 Posts

Hey Mick,

Here's an idea:

Why not route the belt to come off the crank and go around the stock tensioner on the ribbed side of the belt, then under the water pump as usual, up and around the alt, back down over the ps pulley and back to the crank.

It seems like this could work and retain the standard water pump and pulley. The ribbed side of the belt should run fine over the smooth tensioner pulley.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 05-07-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
Hey Mick,Here's an idea:
Why not route the belt to come off the crank and go around the stock tensioner on the ribbed side of the belt, then under the water pump as usual, up and around the alt, back down over the ps pulley and back to the crank. It seems like this could work and retain the standard water pump and pulley. The ribbed side of the belt should run fine over the smooth tensioner pulley.
Hey Patrick, long time no hear....That's a good idea, and I originally thought I would have liked using the reverse rotation and tensioner . The problem I saw was that humungo stock bracket on the 90 kicks the tensioner out for allignment. Then I couldn't think of anything to replace the mounting or relocate the tensioner.

To be honest I didn't try very hard, I kind of like the idea offing everything on that side...hell if I didn't get so used to p.steering that would be gone too (like the look of Red's above, brings back memories).
Swapping pumps will cost me, (and I like the heim rod adjuster), but I don't have a problem a manual tensioned belt.
Maybe I'll get real silly and get rid of the other eye sore..the box on the firewall
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is done just like 98Red's except I machined a bracket to tension mine. It's a slotted lever that you just pull the alternator against and then tighten (like an old car). I too am running an '82 water pump. Everything's fine.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 PM
98Red
Advanced

Hi, the waterpump pulley is stock with no shims. The crank and alt pulleys are March under drive. It aligned up real nice. Here's a couple of links for you.

Doug

http://www.marchperf.com/pg51.html#rods

http://www.marchperf.com/pg10.html

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-07-2008, 11:26 PM
98Red
Advanced

Originally Posted by mseven
Maybe I'll get real silly and get rid of the other eye sore..the box on the firewall
You won't be sorry. It makes everything easy to work on. I can change plugs in 5 minutes.

Doug

Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 AM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Basically the same as Doug's setup.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all who responded
I will have to see where I can mount a heim end rod on mine as the mini doesn't have any front provision. Hopefullly I can get it in there from the cylinder bolt location.
Ultraviolet, are you using the stock powersteering pulley?

Last edited by mseven; 05-08-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is more of the same. "Works great, last a long time........"

Get notified of new replies

To Those who have deleted the AC without a delete pulley

Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

This is a really clever idea. So let me get this straight; the only thing you guys have done is change the water pump back to standard rotation and use an adjustable rod to tension the alternator? Does anyone sell a rod, or did you just make one out of the parts catalog? It looks like such a simple and effective idea. You just use the crank, water, alt, steering, crank in that order.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Here's a link to an old thread with some more info and parts used.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1495174
Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Rich & Lisa_84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody else?
Let me know if you have broadband or not?
Big clear pics.

vetteoz@optusnet.com.au
E-mail sent......Thank You.

Quick Reply: Those who have deleted the AC without a delete pulley