C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leaks on Z06

Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water Leaks on Z06

Anyone know the main cause of water leaks in the trunk of a Z06? I'm also leaking on the passenger side front in the floorboard. I've read the stickies but didn't see anything about the trunk.

Last edited by PewterMetallic98; 04-23-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 AM
adam205348
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1246715

This thread pretty much covers all the leaks known for the corvettes. If you have one that is not in there post up and message Bill Curlee, he will usually be the one to answer the question.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

you really need to park w/ AOA 'nose up'

the water ONLY drains out the back
Old 04-07-2008, 01:11 PM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
you really need to park w/ AOA 'nose up'

the water ONLY drains out the back
Can you please elaborate a little bit? I always park in a level parking lot. I'm actually about to sell the car because of these leaks.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
LinearX
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine had water leaking into his 99 FRC into the trunk area.

We discovered that the leak was coming from behind the b-pillar trim (Right behind the driver's window) and running back. We filled in the seam with Great Stuff and that stopped the leak.

He was also having leaks into the floorboard. We wound up filling in the "hole" (I can't think of a better term for it) around the door hinge with black weather strip sealer. Again, no more leaks. In retrospect, we should have tried the Great Stuff and, after hardening, cut flush with the body and then painted it flat black.

Last edited by LinearX; 04-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

This post has picture of the door hinge sealing project. I used black silicone RTV and it worked fantastic. The dealer did the drivers side and used sealing putty..

here is what I wrote you in the PM you sent me.

"PM ANSWER"

Hughes

I too have an 02 ZO6 and yes it did leak. I think these leaks are easily fixable.

The best thing that you can do right now is to remove the drivers AND passengers carpets. Get a wet and dry vac or one of those hand held spot remover rug cleaners and soak the carpet down with rug cleaner and then vacuum out the all the excess water. Then allow the carpets to completely dry out in the sun or in a nice warm dry area.

While the carpet/s is are out, you will have a better idea where the water is entering the car.

As for the top leak, I just had another fellow that had the same issue. He had a replacement top installed and after that it leaked like crazy. I recommended that he inspect all the rubber gaskets to make sure they were not torn or deformed. I also recommended doing the top latch adjustment.

The top latches hook on to a small catch on the windshield header bar. Those two latches are adjustable. Recommend marking where they are currently at and making small adjustments "DOWN" until the latches are nice and firm and the seals can properly expand and seal.

That should take care of the top leaks.

As for the rear leaks, again, remove the rear trim and carpets. Have a friend wet the car down and look for drips and running water.

There are TWO areas on each side of the car forward and aft of the trunk that allows water to drain away from the trunk. One drains down the door sill area. Look at the area where the top/door and fender meet. There will be a small hole in the door opening area. If that drain is plugged and the car is facing front down hill the water can build up and get into the trunk.

The other area drains into the rear fender area near the back of the fender. You can easily see them on each side of the trunk opening Use a hose and run water into the area around the trunk and make sure that those drains (forward and aft) allow water to drain out.

Bill
Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 PM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Here's a quick update...

I took out all of the carpet and seats to check for leaks and found a few around the rear window seal. I also found that water was channeling through the side window weatherstrip and down into the floorboards somehow. I applied RTV like a mad man everywhere I could and it still leaked. Today I went over it for a second coat and didn't hold back on making it not look professional...

I discovered the headliner was soaked in the rear and pulled that out as well. Turns out that the water is coming in from the top part of the seal near the rear of each side window and channeling through the headliner into the rear cargo area. I went ahead and sealed all that today. Now I am just waiting for it to dry and another leak test.

I removed the "black lagoon" drain tube and cleaned it out really well also. I got the AC drain tube off and cut off the crimped end but somehow managed to lose the tube while trying to put it on the right way because the head was burning my hand like an iron!

I'm really not sure if I should even turn on the AC with that 90* angle tube missing from it or where even to buy another one at. I figured I could find a replacement at Autozone but it's in too tight of a spot to find out the actual size that I need...

Last but not least I actually sealed the outside trim that channels the water down from the side windows to the windshield cowl area. It doesn't look half bad but of course I still have to do a leak test this week.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Im buying shares of stock in Permatex RTV! You seem to make there stock grow!

The 90 deg tube "HELPS" keep the moisture off the fire wall. The plastic tube that the rubber boot fits on is sealed and water shouldnt be able to leak in. Mines been off for over a year!

It will get back on while the engine is disassembled.

Bill
Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

I am absolutely clueless about my leak now. Water is leaking down the passenger side A-pillar. I put on a new weatherstrip and sealed the outside trim really well but it still somehow manages to get in.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Theres a place where the roof, windshield frame and door molding all meet. The sealer at that point is bad and thats where the leak is happening. You need to remove the plastic door / roof gutter and reseal that joint. Theres a TSB for it that explains the entire issue.

bc
Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Theres a place where the roof, windshield frame and door molding all meet. The sealer at that point is bad and thats where the leak is happening. You need to remove the plastic door / roof gutter and reseal that joint. Theres a TSB for it that explains the entire issue.

bc
Are you talking about the trim that serves as a gutter around the top and backside of the window? I actually sealed them from the outside last night and cleaned it up pretty well but the leak test was a fail today. You think it needs to be taken off completely and resealed?

Any idea on where to find that TSB?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by PewterMetallic98
Are you talking about the trim that serves as a gutter around the top and backside of the window? I actually sealed them from the outside last night and cleaned it up pretty well but the leak test was a fail today. You think it needs to be taken off completely and resealed?

Any idea on where to find that TSB?

Go to a local dealer and ask for the TSB. Yes, I would remove the head liner and PIN POINT the exact location of the leak. It may require removing the gutter trim OR ROOF REMOVAL!

You MUST pinpoint the leak location.

BC
Old 04-24-2008, 09:04 AM
jmc12
Team Owner

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

PewterMetallic98.. On my 03-Z it was leaking where the fixed roof seals on the body.. It was a pain in the A** to get fixed.. I have good body shop right next door it took 3 times to get it right.. I frist thought it was coming from behind the metal that the rubber seal for the front window attaches too..Too make it easy to tell you where mine was coming in.. It was right above the gas cap filler door... It would come in and wet down the carpet right behind the seats and gather up in the three storage wells in the trunk.. It was like the roof was not sealed to the body if that is possible, but that is where mine was leaking...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jmc12
.. On my 03-Z it was leaking where the fixed roof seals on the body.......

.......... It was like the roof was not sealed to the body if that is possible, but that is where mine was leaking...
Same type of problem for me too on my '99FRC.

The water in my case was showing up over and around my right rear wheel well area and right rear speaker. After removing all the right and left side plastic trim pieces from the B pillar (this includes the black trim piece directly beneath the rear window) I found that the water was coming in the right rear area of where the top is bonded to the car with sealant. I'm not talking about the glass window, but the actual top or roof panel itself. After removing all this trim, I saw that the rear of the top/roof itself, in addition to being bonded/sealed to the car with sealant, was also clamped down to the car by three metal clamps that go across the rear of the car.

I unbolted the three clamps (for easy access) and starting at the right rear window area (on the inside of the car) at a point roughly half way up the window, I used a non-hardening caulk material and followed the factory channel all the way down, across the car and over to the other side and about halfway up the window there as well. I then immediately re-attached the three metal clamps that secure the top to the body. I used downward pressure on the clamps before and while tightening them, as they each have slotted holes for the bolts. That ensured that each clamp exerts a slight downward pressure on the top.
Result? No more leaks.

BTW, the caulking material I used was something I happened to get my hands on from a construction crew that was installing and sealing glass and panels on a building they were working on. It is made by a company called "Tremco" and comes in a caulking tube that fits a standard caulk gun. It is called "Curtainwall Sealant" and the label says it is a "Flexible, Synthetic Rubber Sealant". It is white in color but I didn't care as the entire area is covered by all the factory trim pieces.

That was several years ago and I have been dry ever since.

HTH
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Yea, I know what you are talking about where the top actually meets the trunk there is a factory seal/gap that leaked bad on mine. I put so much silicone on it lately that I think I finally have the part sealed up.

My biggest concern right now is the passenger side. I used silicone on the rain gutter around the passenger window, installed a new weatherstrip, sealed all along the inside of the window trim, and it still leaks right onto the top of the A-pillar and drips down from there.

The passenger side floor still collects a good amount of water from that. There also seems to be another leak that starts behind the fuse panel and rolls out towards the back of the car.

I have never in my life seen a car leak this much. Especially with about 2 pounds of silicone all over it!
Old 04-26-2008, 03:43 AM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Well I'm still out in the garage trying to iron out these leaks. We found one behind the fuse box on the passenger side floor. Also still working on numerous door leaks on the passenger side. Everything we could think of has been sealed but every time something seems to be cured a new one pops up. I'll keep you guys updated...

Get notified of new replies

To Water Leaks on Z06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Leaks on Z06