Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone live on a gravel road?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Fire 22
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone live on a gravel road?

I am looking at buying a black C5, my problem is the 1 mile of gravel road to my house, I am worried the car will never look clean. Any opinions would be helpful.
Thanks - I am new to your forum, Fire 22 is my call sign when I am at my second job (favorite job) as a volunteer firefighter.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 AM
tlgarst
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black is a dust / dirt magnet. Everytime I take mine for a cruise I have to use the california duster. The rear end is really a dust magnet. I know it would be a PIA but drive slow on the gravel and then dust B4 crusing.
Tim
Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 AM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

Welcome to the forum!!
I live on a tar/chipped road, so dust is minimal, I just drive very slow. I'm sure my neighbors hate to get behind me. Black is a bitch to keep clean, but looks great when clean. I would venture to say you will stay very busy trying to keep black looking great living on a gravel road. Even if you drive slow, all the other folks who fly up and down the road creating dust will collect on your car. Just something to think about!!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:37 AM
TioSterling
Racer

it wont get any dirtier than any other color it will just show more but when it is clean i think black is worth it, lived on a dirt road and drove a black mustang. it is gonna get dirty but like the others have said driving slow it will stay fairly clean but i hope you have a garage to store it in because everyone else probably hauls a$$ by.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 PM
TomBoy
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel your pain. My husband and I live off of a paved road but our driveway is about 1/4 mile long. All gravel. Actually # 57 slag. It is spread at least once a year at a large expense. By keeping it on, it cuts the dust down. I have had a total of 4 black vehicles living here and choose MSG when I bought this car. It was a nice relief because I show and that color is definitlely easier to maintain. I am lucky because driving down my own driveway, no traffic and my speed is clocked around 5 or sometimes 10 mph. It would be a challenge to own it on the gravel but I would just steer clear of black and drive slow. Just get used to the tailgaters in a big hurry. Flip your rearview mirror up! I would not trade leaving where we live back on our 30 private acres off the main road for anything. So the gravel driveway, is ours to keep.

Laurie

Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Wheelboyo
Racer

1200 sheets of 1/2" plywood is what you need

I store my car over winter in a shed that's down a mile of gravel road so I kind of know your pain. The road had just been graded when I took the car out of storage this week I was going about walking speed.

The California duster will be your most important tool.

Edit - get your car re-painted in beige or champagne gold. One of my old Acuras was that colour and I could drive all day on gravel roads (lots of 'em up here) and you just couldn't tell.

Last edited by Wheelboyo; 04-20-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: I had a bright idea.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

A dark colored car will look dirty quicker even if you live on a paved road. Silver or white might be easier to accept...
Old 04-20-2008, 12:15 PM
robert123
Drifting

As an owner of a black c5, I would probably not buy another black one. It is dusty minutes after I wash it and I have no gravel roads by me.
Just washing it is never enough becuase no matter how it try to dry it I get steaks or water stains. I have to wax it or use detail spray on it after a wash. It seams there are new scratches on it with every wash also. Once it is clean it looks GREAT . Black cars are nice but very high maintenance.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM
guppie
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Does a 500' gravel driveway count?
I just got rid of a 78 pace car being top half black it really wasn't bad.
I would clean it up for a car show with minor wipedowns once I got there. If you know black that was necessary about every hour anyway
Old 04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Fire 22
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, thanks everyone!
I was thinking of the California duster for this. I appreciate everyone’s comments. I was looking for silver or white but a black one cought my eye.

Right now my neighbors are pretty good about the speed (my speed) on the road, I like to keep my Titan (burgundy) clean after its washed so slow on the gravel is the only way.

BTW, the C5 would stay in my 1000 sq. ft shop - heated floor to keep its feet warm in the winter. I have a double attached garage for the daily drivers.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
CaliSStoZ06
Instructor

i live down a 1/2 mile dirt/gravel road and i have owned to black camaros..it is hell to keep them clean
Old 04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
vette3800
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I grew up living 1/4 mile down a dirt road and dealing with the pain of trying to keep my car clean and swore I would never live down a dirt road again and I have lived up to it thus far and it is wonderful.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by tlgarst
Black is a dust / dirt magnet. Everytime I take mine for a cruise I have to use the california duster. The rear end is really a dust magnet. I know it would be a PIA but drive slow on the gravel and then dust B4 crusing.
Tim
Old 04-20-2008, 11:51 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

love my triple black vert trying to keep it clean is a FULL TIME JOB!but when its clean its mean
Old 04-20-2008, 11:57 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TomBoy
I feel your pain. My husband and I live off of a paved road but our driveway is about 1/4 mile long. All gravel. Actually # 57 slag. It is spread at least once a year at a large expense. By keeping it on, it cuts the dust down. I have had a total of 4 black vehicles living here and choose MSG when I bought this car. It was a nice relief because I show and that color is definitlely easier to maintain. I am lucky because driving down my own driveway, no traffic and my speed is clocked around 5 or sometimes 10 mph. It would be a challenge to own it on the gravel but I would just steer clear of black and drive slow. Just get used to the tailgaters in a big hurry. Flip your rearview mirror up! I would not trade leaving where we live back on our 30 private acres off the main road for anything. So the gravel driveway, is ours to keep.

Laurie

Laurie, sell one or two acres and have the driveway black topped.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have to clean mine every day as it is, but I would not even try black on gravel. I hired a machine shop to build me a CNC part last year and when I went to check it out saw that they had the long gravel driveway off the road - so I cancelled the order.

Gone through 3 windshields and 6 flat tires so far in the past few years with my black C5 and that is on what they call "paved" out here in Hell
Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 AM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I have a black vette and black trans am and live down a gravel. It sucks but oh well. I just wash the cars when I get them out

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone live on a gravel road?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Not gravel but we live up a narrow single track road and I have gravel driveway. Add to that the English climate and you have the same problem.

My car normally survives one outing and then out comes the bucket and detailing gear again

Even so, dont let it put you off. This car is worth every loving minute you spend detailing it.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Vettman 1
Le Mans Master

Years ago our driveway was gravel. I "bit the bullet" Was probably the best investment ever. No dust, no raking it out, weeds etc. Concrete wasn't much more than asphalt, and more permanent.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM
SPIVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by tlgarst
Tim
If it will be his only vehicle, driving slow will not be an option if there is a fire call. Something for him to consider.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone live on a gravel road?