C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E3 Sparks Plugs performance Gain

Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 PM
steve286
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E3 Sparks Plugs performance Gain

Did anyone see the last episode of Horsepower on the Speed Channel. They dino'd the E3 spark plugs and got like 8-12 horsepower increase. Has anyone tried these and do they work?? Sounds to goood to be true.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steve286
...to goood to be true.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
TESTOSTERONE C6-R
Burning Brakes

actually i have does in my vett.... car pulls and runs perfect but, I dont know if I gain 8 hp; I mean is not like you can feel it but if they dyno them then I guess I have another 8-12 hp without knowing it
Old 04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

snake Oil
Old 04-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Danny318
Racer

but they did a dyno test.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:49 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

I saw the last part of the episode but I thought they only compared it to another brand and it got 5hp more than the other brand.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DaveC6
I saw the last part of the episode but I thought they only compared it to another brand and it got 5hp more than the other brand.
You can easily have a 5 hp varience between the tests. That can occur with just something as simple as they way you strap a car down, or a change in ambient temperture or humidity. Or the engine coolant temperature. If you let the engine cool down for a long time between test or testing a real heat soaked engine there is going to be a considerable difference, easily 5 to 10hp.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:59 PM
KenWH
Instructor

I saw that ep. also.

They made a point to say that the engine was allowed to cool between tests. It was done on an engine dyno...not a chassis dyno. Seems to me there would be an allowable variable of a few hp +/- even on an engine that's not altered between pulls.

Imo for this to be a claim that would be credible I would have liked them to have done a few pulls with the "other" plugs and a few with the e3's under matching conditions then do an average. If the e3's consistantly pulled "x" amounts of more hp then that would be a solid result.

Basing their hp gain assertion off of one pull with each set of plugs proves little to me.

edit:
They also showed the actual spark patterns as well. It did look like the E3's obviously had a "hotter/bigger/better" spark compared to the other plugs but again...under what variables where these sparks filmed?.?.

Last edited by KenWH; 04-20-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KenWH
I saw that ep. also.

They also showed the actual spark patterns as well. It did look like the E3's obviously had a "hotter/bigger/better" spark compared to the other plugs but again...under what variables where these sparks filmed?.?.
When they showed the "hotter spark" how did they do it? The reason I ask is because a couple years ago one of the Nology wire reps came to my shop to do a demo on their wires claiming the same BS about how their wires makes a hotter spark. They had a gizmo that has a aftermarket plug wire and one of their wires both firing a spark across a adjustable gap. Of course their wire showed a obviously hotter spark. So I asked them to show me the internals of their gizmo so that I can see that both wires are being fed voltage from the same source, of course the rep refused to show me the internals, I call SNAKE OIL still.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:24 PM
LSCHLEM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by tjwong
snake Oil
e3 plugs 12hp
royal purple oil 9 hp

There 20 hp and you didn't evn do a bolton
Old 04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
dbradley
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So............ did they say how many FREE sets were handed out to EVERYONE related to the show, and how much commercial time they bought???????
Old 04-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Aaron's-coupe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw the show also, look close to the plug they compared it to. They compared a plain generic plug against the E3. They also did this comparison on a SBC with a carb. This is not a comparison in a LSx with injection.

In addition this add was to flywheel horsepower, after the average 15-20% drivetrain loss you are with a few horsepower at the wheels which is negelable.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:46 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
e3 plugs 12hp
royal purple oil 9 hp

NOS sticker has to be worth 10hp? Are those considered a bolt on?? Along with headers/tune, E3 plugs, RP oil, I'm in LS7 power land.. .
Old 04-20-2008, 04:38 PM
GeistC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LSCHLEM
e3 plugs 12hp
royal purple oil 9 hp

Perfect.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny318
but they did a dyno test.
I could find 8-12rwhp on a dyno without making ANY changes to the car.
Dyno testing spark plugs is like dyno testing stock replacement panel air filters...there is no true conclusive evidence that can be obtained, it's all easily explained away by simple dyno variations and/or letting the car cool between pulls LOL.

I once tried out the 'then new' Brisk spark plugs (aka: Lamborghini spark plugs) in my LS1 Z28 and we saw a roughly 3rwhp gain on the dyno...we let it cool and pulled it again and the car dyno'd less than before.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

The standard plugs on the C5 back in 2001 were causing about 100 misfires in total on all 8 clyinders per minute. When you scan the car with HPtuners, set up the scanner to log misfires per cylinder and the total for all 8 as a 9th parameter. I did this with Auto-tap back then.

What I was investigating was that the plugs (the IX version the C6 comes with) actually reduced the number of misfires per minute and had shown 5hp on the dyno. I bought them and verified the misfire count dropped to about 5-8 per minute. The irridiums were a real power gain. I dnt doubt that a spark plug that maximizes electrode area would do something similar. To what degree I'm not sure. When the royal purple oil is swapped for the old non-synthetic oil in a engine I dont doubt there is a gain. I dont see these tests being done when a good synthetic oil like mobile 1 is used nor do I think they compared against a good state of the art spark plug.

That said, I do think there is a gain to be had from a stronger spark with a better constructed spark plug but the amount is going to vary depending on what they used for the comparison plug. If its a good set of irridiums, dont expect a 12hp gain.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

Any gain for the price of plugs should be OK. Lots and lots-o-folks buy a $XXXX CAI to pick up a couple of HP. So why not the same for a few HP with MUCH cheaper plugs? Fairly inexpensive .
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dkrhardy
Any gain for the price of plugs should be OK. Lots and lots-o-folks buy a $XXXX CAI to pick up a couple of HP. So why not the same for a few HP with MUCH cheaper plugs? Fairly inexpensive .
But that's just it, you're right that a CAI might only yield a couple horsepower on a dyno making it no real bargain when compared to spark plugs that might do the same...but a good CAI can potentially show SUBSTANTIALLY more horsepower/torque gains once moving/at speed, no spark plug on the planet is going to give you what say a Vararam will give you at 40+mph.

Also keep in mind that one could even potentially see a gain simply by changing from 20k mile old spark plugs to brand new ones of the exact same name/type.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:46 PM
dkrhardy
Burning Brakes

You may have misunderstood my position on the plugs. I agree that a CAI has more potential. Plugs, these or new, MAY give a few HP. So if you/we/I want to give them a go, at least it is a very small amount of money. And if you/we/I get any help, then it is a good thing. I'm just saying that for a couple of $$ it might help a bit .... especially if you /we/I have a CAI or any other mods.

Get notified of new replies

To E3 Sparks Plugs performance Gain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E3 Sparks Plugs performance Gain