Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vredestein Sessanta tires - anyone heard about these ?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vredestein Sessanta tires - anyone heard about these ?

I'm looking for any experience or knowledge on the Vredestein Sessanta tires. They're supposed to be the 'quietest' with the highest cornering ability of all the supercar tires on the market.

Here's a link:

http://nm517.x.modix.de/go.to/modix/...03/presse.html

Anyone know where to buy them in the states ?

The only place I've seen 'em is on fleabay.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Yes... and you might find this easier on the eyes:

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Ban...1&BandtypeID=3

VREDESTEIN TYRES NORTH AMERICA INC.
13 Bridge Street
Metuchen N.J. 08840
U.S.A.
Telephone: 732-549-2440/800-221-3422
Fax: 732-549-2450
E-mail address: customerus@vredestein.com
Old 04-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought they were the way to go too. Good looking tire, priced right, and good reviews. Then when I tried to buy a set for my Z, I found out nobody carried them yet in Z sizes and they weren't too sure when they were going to get them. They have a 280 AA A UTQG rating which is the same as the G3-D3s and their section width is about a tenth of an inch larger than the D3s. Performance Plus Tires has them on their website for $161 each, but they're not in their warehouse.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:35 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Just ordered a pair for the Rear : 295/35/ZR18's

The speed rating is listed as the European 'Y'-rating which is 186mph = to the 'Z' rating here.

I'll be sure and post my results....gotta wait 3-4 days before getting 'em
Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
dougrodriguez
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

where did you order from? i had a set of these on my 350z 275/30/19 i hope they make sizes for my z like you state
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dougrodriguez
where did you order from? i had a set of these on my 350z 275/30/19 i hope they make sizes for my z like you state
Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

The 295 size was just released last month. Only a few places seem to carry them and my buddy put a set on his GT a couple weeks ago and they look awesome. Call AFS wheels. Definately a cool and meaty tread pattern.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Contact Trynkeepup - she put them on her car last week and ran them at Limerock over the weekend. She should be able to give you some feedback, but from what I heard she said she liked them alot.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by verskel
Just ordered a pair for the Rear : 295/35/ZR18's

The speed rating is listed as the European 'Y'-rating which is 186mph = to the 'Z' rating here.

I'll be sure and post my results....gotta wait 3-4 days before getting 'em
Actually your rating here is 91Y on the stock F1 Supercars which is 186 MPH - it's molded into the sidewall technical information for your viewing pleasure. The Z or ZR is put on the tire because John Q Public only understands what marketing tells him and several years ago he was told Z or ZR was the best.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Twil1ght
Actually your rating here is 91Y on the stock F1 Supercars which is 186 MPH - it's molded into the sidewall technical information for your viewing pleasure. The Z or ZR is put on the tire because John Q Public only understands what marketing tells him and several years ago he was told Z or ZR was the best.
Thanks for the clarification. The marketing works because 'Z' tyres on a Z06 do sound better.

As for 'where' - I'll send an IM to anyone wanting my source.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Here's some marketing points on the Vredesteins.....

NEW - European tire

****GUIGIARO DESIGN ****

NOW BROUGHT HERE FROM EUROPE
TO THE USA!!

This is the European style by Giugiaro Design, who's name is linked to Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Ferrari and Maserati to name a few!

Innovative design and sophisticated

longitudinal tread design.

The UTQG Rating:

280 AA-A

The traction "AA"

Extremely unique HIGH tracking power, allowing FASTER CORNERING

ROBUST outer shoulders with 25% more rubber on the outer diameter

for EXCEPTIONAL & SUPERIOR handling

ENHANCED appearance for SPORTS cars

Innovative design and sophisticated

longitudinal tread design.

Noticebly QUIETER then any other brand

Details : Asymmetric tread design!

All the commands and forces between car and road are transmitted through the tyres, irrespective of the power of the engine, the precision of the steering gear and the reaction speed of the ABS, ASR and other anti-slip computers. The tread designed by Vredestein and Giugiaro for the Ultrac Sessanta plays a crucial role in the transmission of these forces.

The outside edge of the tread absorbs handling forces, which are especially strong when taking corners. The air ratios – the proportion of air to rubber visible in the tread – of the two sides of the tread were deliberately changed by Vredestein and Giugiaro, with the ratio lower on the outside than it is on the inside of the tread. Put another way, the outside of the tread has around 25% more rubber than the inside. This extra layer ensures better grip and improved stability on corners by absorbing the powers that affect the tyre in precisely this part of the tread. Improved handling is the result.

The tread of the Ultrac Sessanta features stiffening bridges – small three-dimensional blocks added to the grooves. These blocks allow more side-thrust force to be built up, ensuring optimal handling. Special furrows on the inside of the Ultrac Sessanta tread quickly evacuate excess water, reducing the likelihood of aquaplaning.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:55 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tiremakers tell me that the quietest ride comes from a tread pattern having central ribs .... so that tire is constantly in contact with pave ... w/o its tread configuration breaking contact with road.

They also claim that the best wet traction comes from this same central tread design (radial grooves/ribs) ... which sheds water to the rear of tire, and not to the side of tires.

This tire doesn't seem to fit the 'ideal' tread design /// for quiet - wet performance.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bernrex
This tire doesn't seem to fit the 'ideal' tread design /// for quiet - wet performance.

We'll see......just received word that the tires have been delivered and are sitting on my front porch courtesy of 'brown'

It does have a continuous groove offset to the inside. I don't see why symmetry would be needed to achieve what you're describing. However, theory is best tested on the ROAD - not PAPER.

Stay tuned
Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

"Stay tuned"

Will do, very interested.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:04 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by verskel
We'll see......just received word that the tires have been delivered and are sitting on my front porch courtesy of 'brown'

It does have a continuous groove offset to the inside. I don't see why symmetry would be needed to achieve what you're describing. However, theory is best tested on the ROAD - not PAPER.

Stay tuned
Hope you got them mounted already .... give us your first impressions on how quiet and grippy they are.

As long as they are the equal of the GY SC's (or Michelin PS2's) ..... they would represent the better buy.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 AM
bryanZ06
Safety Car

Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Vred - report :

First off, the tires are marked "280" treadwear and not "320" as advertised.....but that's fine by me.

#1 - Road noise : Hard to tell because my fronts are too noisy - still got the Toyo Proxies on the front with 50% tread left. From what I can tell there's very little noise other than a faint 'howl' around corners at speeds above 45mph.

#2 - Grip : EXCELLENT.....they slide less than the Toyos and have a good bite to them. Light rain today and they accelerate well when wet too

#3 - Feel : In corners, I can really push the car with almost no traction loss.....in short - they feel 'solid'. Still have yet to do a heavy acceleration test......but so far there's no wheel-hop or bounce with great road tracking.

#4 - Design : Looks are awesome and the sidewalls bulge slightly providing the illusion of a lower profile tire than the Toyos. Very meaty tread and looks like it'll give me a few more miles for the $.

So far I'm very pleased...... .....Awesome......

Get notified of new replies

To Vredestein Sessanta tires - anyone heard about these ?

Old 04-17-2007, 06:47 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Can you post pictures of the tires on your car?

Sounds like they are a great buy, but I wonder how the straight line acceleration is.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

How do they c/w the OEM tires ? Did you just buy 2 rears?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
cj68
Pro

Any update on these? I am getting ready to order tires and I have it narrowed down to these (can't go wrong with the price and they may be a good tire... not enough info out there yet) or the GY GS-D3s.

cj

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Vredestein Sessanta tires - anyone heard about these ?