Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Not safe areas in Phoenix

Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Not safe areas in Phoenix

I was looking at Estrella Mtn Ranch area to move early next year. Now I'm hearing that Goodyear isn't all that safe of an area crimewise. Anyone from there? Not set on the area, just wanna be anywhere in the foothills in nice safe or gated community.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Casselvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Northeast or northwest valley locations are what I would stick to.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-2008, 02:17 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MasterDave
I was looking at Estrella Mtn Ranch area to move early next year. Now I'm hearing that Goodyear isn't all that safe of an area crimewise. Anyone from there? Not set on the area, just wanna be anywhere in the foothills in nice safe or gated community.
The new communities in the foothills of the Estrella Mountains should be safe and very nice. I'm sure that there are some of the older sections of Goodyear that are less desireable and not as safe - but that's true of any place. I have friends that live out there in the new areas which are generally considered to be a master planned type community - and they have never indicated that the area is unsafe.

Personally I live in Chandler, which is the complete other side of the Phoenix area (south/southeast), there are some areas around the downtown part of Chandler that are places I don't want to wander around in at night. But where I live - it's quiet and relatively crime free.

The reason I say "relatively" - is that if I were a crimminal, and looking for "opportunities", I would go to the nice part of town......

Stay in touch - if there is anything I can do to help with your acclimization to Arizona, let me know!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks guys, wifey and I are coming to Az (Robson at Casa Grande) the end of the month for bike week. I am so looking fwd to being back on the Harley and in WARM weather. She will be looking around for a home for the week while I waste the days riding.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I've lived and worked all over metro Phoenix since '57. There are areas of every city in AZ (any state for that matter) that are not safe...the growth of new developments surrounding them.
Intercity slums/barrios/projects/trailer parks are everywhere and slow to disappear since it's low income housing for many.
Areas where there is less proactive law enforcement also tend to bring more organized drug activity, proliferation of gangs and human smuggling drop houses. Every week there are news reports of huge human/drug smuggling drop houses located as the smugglers tend to rent houses in nicer neighborhoods now with so many houses in foreclosure in metro Phoenix.
The west side of metro Phoenix in Maricopa County used to be primarily farming areas, so the population didn't justify improving those blighted areas. When the price of land escalated, the farmers sold off to developers. The blighted areas remained and new development surrounded them.
Now that the far east valley has been so developed, the far west valley (Surprise, Avondale, Peoria, El Mirage, Goodyear, Gila Bend, Buckeye) is the hottest spot to live. Keep in mind those communities are far removed from where most residents work, however, so commuting long distances is a factor to consider in your hopes of better quality of life.
I could take you to places in almost AZ city that would make your butt pucker. AZ has approx. 2,500 documented gangs...not members, but known gangs! They're primarily in the metro Phoenix area. They were allowed to prosper during the last economic downturn when the state gang task force lost it's funding.
The problem is that the infrastructure (police, fire, roads, and city/county/state services) could not keep up with the growth when times were good. Police and fire departments may be understaffed and/or with relatively new employees with little experience for the crimes they're now experiencing. Now times are slowing, but hiring freezes are in effect.
Adding to the problem is the state budget is almost $2,000,000,000 (billion) in the hole this fiscal year and possibly more of the same next year. AZ depends on the housing economy and it's really bad in metro Phoenix now. That loss of revenue gets passed on down to the cities in less revenue sharing funds.
Where ever you decide to locate to, be sure you take the time to drive a wide perimeter outside the development you're interested in. That will enlighten you as to county refuse transfer stations, small/busy municipal airports, city water/sewage treatment plants, dairies, blighted areas, etc.
Here's two sites that will provide the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting statistics for various AZ cities.
http://www.azcentral.com/datacenter/...rimestats.html
http://phoenix.about.com/od/crimesta...Statistics.htm
But, it's a great time to buy in this market...

Last edited by hotwheels57; 03-20-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

The only really safe places to live in the Phoenix area are all in the north east part of the valley. Paradise Valley, Scottsdale north of Chapparal, Fountain Hills and Cave Creek. You will also discover that these areas have the least integrated neighbourhoods and the most expensive real estate in the valley. Form your own conclusions.

I will say that the Phoenix area has some of the highest car insurance rates of any area in the US. My insurance premium doubled when I moved here from the San Francisco area. Everything else is really cheap like water , property tax and electricity. It has proven to be a good place to live and is pretty well run over all except for the south and west parts which are where essentially all of the crime occurs..
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tintin
The only really safe places to live in the Phoenix area are all in the north east part of the valley. Paradise Valley, Scottsdale north of Chapparal, Fountain Hills and Cave Creek. You will also discover that these areas have the least integrated neighbourhoods and the most expensive real estate in the valley. Form your own conclusions.

I will say that the Phoenix area has some of the highest car insurance rates of any area in the US. My insurance premium doubled when I moved here from the San Francisco area. Everything else is really cheap like water , property tax and electricity. It has proven to be a good place to live and is pretty well run over all except for the south and west parts which are where essentially all of the crime occurs..
Did you see the news last night about the approved SRP electric rates going to be phased in during the summer months? APS will be doing the same...
Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Did you see the news last night about the approved SRP electric rates going to be phased in during the summer months? APS will be doing the same...
I know, that is so typical of energy suppliers, put the blocks to us when we have no option..

On the other hand, we don't have brown outs with the Palo Verde..
Old 03-22-2008, 05:49 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

My son just moved there how's the area around I-17 and 101 Pima Fwy?

Last edited by BuckyThreadkiller; 03-22-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:06 PM
93RubyZ
Burning Brakes

We just moved into a rental house in Goodyear last month (from CA). We plan to buy in about a year and Estrella Mountain Ranch is a place we would consider. It's a really nice area which it sounds like you've been there. It's nestled away by itself in the foothills and seems to be a safe place. Verrado is also very nice and is also in the Foothills (although that is considred Buckeye but is no further away than Estrella).

As for Goodyear, there do seem to be some less desireable places, but Goodyear seems to be fairly nice for the most part. One thing that has been very noticable (coming from CA) is the absence (mostly) of graffiti. One of the things we've really liked about this area is that it seems to be very familiy-oriented. You see a lot of people riding bikes, walking their dogs and with their kids out in the streets -- not just during the daytime but even after the sun goes down. This area is really booming as there are all kinds of businesses popping up. The home building has slowed of course, but the area has really been developed and done nicely in my opinion and seems to be well-kept. The streets are well landscaped with palm trees and such. They are also going to start building a new mall and there are new spring training complexes being built in Goodyear. They've announced they just reached agreement with the Reds and Indians to build their spring training complexes here. Now we've only lived in this place for about a month, and I've been in this area about a month longer than that, but so far we really like it. We will spend the next year deciding where to buy but so far this area is a leading candidate.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Tintin

I would respectfully disagree with the above. There are many areas in the SE and SW Valley that are as safe or safer than Snottsdale, Paradise Valley or Fountain Hills.

I personally live in the NE Valley (near Snottsdale) and wouldn't live anywhere else but it's an elitest attitude that most in Snottsdale have that their's is the only area to live. That's one of the main reasons I wouldn't live there. As an example, my exact home was approx 30% higher if I bought it 8 miles east of where I now live.

Best advice was given above. Drive around the area. I can't believe the people that have bought in an area only to find out after they move in that there's an airport, dairy farm or other nuisance just blocks away. Many of the east valley dairies have been forced to move by bitching home owners. They have been in their locations for decades but the homeowners make it so miserable that they move.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:41 PM
slojoh
Instructor

I have lived in Goodyear for five years now and had no problems. I do think that you should look in the areas north of I-10. The areas south of I-10 are older and there can be probs there. Estrella mountain ranch is south of freeway but a nice area, and Verrado is nice as well. The only thing about the area that you may not like is the proximity to Luke Airforce Base. You WILL have noise from the jets. Personally i like it and support the base. Be aware of the flightpaths they use as someplaces are worse than others.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Paul G
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this thread is already started let me ask a question or two if I may. How is the Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler area as far as crime and the desirability to want to live and work there?

I found a position open working for the city of Mesa. I have yet to hear back from them as I just sent in the application a few days ago. If I were to take employment in Mesa, where would be the best place to live within a 30 to 40 minute ride to downtown? I would be looking for homes in the low $300k neighborhood.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

I might **** some folks off but I would live in Chandler or Gilbert if I worked for Mesa. Far east Mesa isn't bad but you're that much farther from downtown if that's your interest.

As for employment, I wouldn't work for Mesa right now. They have no city property tax and they are struggling financially. I would guess the position is open because they're talking about laying off several hundred workers. I wouldn't want to move here knowing I'd be the newest person on any city's payroll. The State and most if not all city's are hurting financially.

Get notified of new replies

To Not safe areas in Phoenix

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not safe areas in Phoenix