C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[B]Headlights_One Up and One Down[/B]

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM
KayCee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default [B]Headlights_One Up and One Down[/B]

The headlights are suddenly out of sync. I replaced the gears long ago and all was well until a week ago. Anybody got any clues here?

KC
Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Jboger2K
Heel & Toe

is it winking? both go down, driver comes back up? there is a tab that stops an arm and the headlight knows it is in position to stop. If the arm slips passed the tab the headlight pops back up. Open the headlight and look for a mangled white-ish plastic piece. this is inside where the motor attaches to the arm. You can switch the mangled one with one of the two you see right under the back of the headlight assembly. You will need to do the washer repair, (search this site). Basically you put a washer on each of the motor assembly bolts befroe you put it back on the car. This pulls the stop arm over enough to not mangle the plastic piece and slip past.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 AM
KayCee
Advanced

Thanks. I had gone through the replacement of the gears about a year ago and at the same time I ordered and replaced the insulators on the housings. There are prongs on the back of the headlight assembly that holds two spare insulators for each headlight assembly for those who are not familiar with that part.

My headlights were winking first, by popping back up after turning off. I replaced the insulator with one of the spares which made it just stay up with the light switch in the off position, instead of winking. I mulled this over while laying in bed this morning, and thought about the sequence and went out to the car and removed the insulator, which made it start winking again. Then turned the lights on and then replaced the insulator with the lights on. That fixed the problem. Replacing the insulator with the lights on is the sequence.

Get notified of new replies

To [B]Headlights_One Up and One Down[/B]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [B]Headlights_One Up and One Down[/B]