C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weatherstrip Install

Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weatherstrip Install

In process of installing my Willcox weatherstrip kit. On the A and B pillars, did you guys start in the middle and work your way down each side or just start on one side and work your way around? Thanks.

1987 Coupe.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 AM
El T1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawaiian C4
In process of installing my Willcox weatherstrip kit. On the A and B pillars, did you guys start in the middle and work your way down each side or just start on one side and work your way around? Thanks.

1987 Coupe.
Take it for what it's worth:

I did my A-pillars / windshield header twice:

Once without thinking it through, and once to fix the resulting crap job...

In retrospect, I now know to start at the CORNERS (top of the A-pillars) and work my way in both directions. Because the corners are where lots of things come together (targa top/window/pillar). Also, the very nature of weather stripping is that it's flexible as hell and tends to over or
under stretch, so it's good to have a baseline from which to start....

The back end was cake...

ALSO: I did all of my weather stripping at once, THEN tried to re-install the targa top. That was one bonafide mother F-er... Freaking, freaking difficult, my friend. If I ever do C4 weatherstripping again, I'll do one bit at a time, then re-install the targa top to let it seat in the new rubber (overnight between sessions).

Last edited by El T1; 03-12-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by El T1

In retrospect, I now know to start at the CORNERS (top of the A-pillars) and work my way in both directions. Because the corners are where lots of things come together (targa top/window/pillar). Also, the very nature of weather stripping is that it's flexible as hell and tends to over or

The back end was cake...

ALSO: I did all of my weather stripping at once, THEN tried to re-install the targa top. That was one bonafide mother F-er... Freaking, freaking difficult, my friend. If I ever do C4 weatherstripping again, I'll do one bit at a time, then re-install the targa top to let it seat in the new rubber (overnight between sessions).
I was thinking the same thing on the front to start at the corners and work down and then to the middle. Great Idea on the other, I plan to do the front first, re-install targa for a couple of days, and then do the back, thanks.

BTW, nice TBSS in your avatar. I have one too, a 2006, artic white, no options except SS, love it.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I started from the center and worked my way out. I engaged the strip along only the more difficult side of the retainer to tuck it into, and then went back afterwards with a paint scraper and to tuck the strip into the easier side without accidentally untucking it from the first. This worked pretty well for me. Make sure you see both sides of each retainer you're supposed to get at as well as any holes for pinning the weatherstrip down.

Here's another tip: I didn't use any weatherstrip glue on any of the strips in my car, and so as I find places where I didn't quite tuck it in to the retainer right, I still have a chance to correct it. Weatherstrip glue is not necessary and makes this job a lot messier and harder.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Hawaiian C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
I started from the center and worked my way out. I engaged the strip along only the more difficult side of the retainer to tuck it into, and then went back afterwards with a paint scraper and to tuck the strip into the easier side without accidentally untucking it from the first. This worked pretty well for me. Make sure you see both sides of each retainer you're supposed to get at as well as any holes for pinning the weatherstrip down.

Here's another tip: I didn't use any weatherstrip glue on any of the strips in my car, and so as I find places where I didn't quite tuck it in to the retainer right, I still have a chance to correct it. Weatherstrip glue is not necessary and makes this job a lot messier and harder.
Thanks. I have noticed the same thing about the retainers, they should not need glue. On the other strips I have been using a popsicle stick and it seems to work great to get the strip into the retainer without tearing.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I didn't use and glue either, I am not sure which way I did it, but without glue, you can move it around. I had to readjust my top after I did it. This was expected since the top was adjusted all the way down with the old compressed weatherstrip.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:56 AM
OceanVette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skybolt31
I didn't use and glue either, I am not sure which way I did it, but without glue, you can move it around. I had to readjust my top after I did it. This was expected since the top was adjusted all the way down with the old compressed weatherstrip.
How do you re-adjust the top?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:05 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanVette
How do you re-adjust the top?
take the sunvisors off and the piece of molding that goes across the top of the windshield (interior plastic) and there are two brackets that the bolts that hold the top down go through. There are two torxs bolts that hold the brackets to the windshield header, I think they are the same size as the top bolts so your top removal tool will work on them. Before loosening them, it is good to mark them so that you know where they were and then slide them up like an 1/8" of an inch. See if you can get the top on, if not, go up a little more...........................
Old 05-11-2008, 01:12 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

On the A and B pillars, did you guys start in the middle and work your way down each side or just start on one side and work your way around?
Well first I test fit each piece. Since I was working along AND using adhesive, on both the A & B WS I installed the ends first letting the center section just lay there. Then I laid the adhesive into the track and worked the WS in from center outward to either end.

I too found that "popcicle sticks" from local craft shop worked well and did not tear the WS.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Randy93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

The back end was cake...

Do one piece at a time and then wait a couple days for the next, on the A pillar start on the corners.
Make sure and pre align the A pillar before glueing anything!!!!!!!
More people mess up the A pillar than any other piece and then blame it on crappy product, instead of crappy installer.

TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
OceanVette
Intermediate

take the sunvisors off and the piece of molding that goes across the top of the windshield (interior plastic) and there are two brackets that the bolts that hold the top down go through. There are two torxs bolts that hold the brackets to the windshield header, I think they are the same size as the top bolts so your top removal tool will work on them. Before loosening them, it is good to mark them so that you know where they were and then slide them up like an 1/8" of an inch. See if you can get the top on, if not, go up a little more...........................
Thank you skybolt31. Right on.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Defender337
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Got my done and looks great. I took my time and did one piece at a time waiting a day or two before install the next. Use the tips from here: http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2006...atherstrip.asp

Applies to a C3 but great tips.

BTW I bought mine from lonestarcarparts on ebay. 7 Piece set for $350 and used midamerica weatherstrip tool kit. Couldn't be happier!
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
DWC4
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Weatherstrip, C4 roof/pillar piece, that connector - help

I expected to find a screw holding each end of that weatherstrip piece that is the inside of the roof, down each pillar, terminating near the top of the door jam area. Instead, there's this black button looking thing, how does that come out? Do I need to find those new to install the new strip or will it 'pop' out and be reusable?

I guess I'll try going without glue, except maybe at the end where that tight retainer piece stops. But at first no glue at all and see how it all fits etc, and see if I need to adjust my targa.

thanks for all the great tips guys, priceless. I did buy the Willcox version, $99 vs $150 at Eckler or Corvette America and seem like really nice helpful folks there.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:20 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 122 Posts

Is it really alright to install without adhesive? It does seem like it would be a heck of a lot easier.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 AM
espop125
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not hard just start in the corner not the middle because if you use adhesive and start in the middle and your off your screwed.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I'll be doing this work after the tune is done. Thanks for the tips

The back end was cake...

No glue and one targa side per weekend

I have to ask again...NO Glue?? No problems, no leaks?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did my A and B pillars a couple weeks ago, and didn't use glue. I haven't had a chance to test for leaks yet, but no problems otherwise. As snugly as it fits in the channels, I'd have a hard time believing that adhesive would make any difference in that regard.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip Install

Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So no pics of anybody's completed masterpiece installation or is everyone embarrassed to post their work, lol....
Old 10-28-2009, 12:57 PM
steve2001sh
Intermediate

I used glue. I did all my strips over the course of a couple of months. I did some starting in the middle, and others starting at the corners. Doing the corners was a lot easier.

End result: my car is quieter and doesn't rain on me.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 AM
uptown193
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't anyone proud of their installation work that you want to show us or did they all come out bad???? lets see whose first to show and tell....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Install