C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Vacuum Diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1980 Vacuum Diagrams

Tonight I was out looking in my drivers fender trying to figure out where my charcoal cannister is suppose to be mounted and found a 5/16" rubber fuel line not connected to anything. I followed it back to the vacuum tank in the nose of the car. Awsome. I've been driving around with an open vacuum hose for four years. I know the hose is unblocked. All this leads me to my request. I've spent the last 15 minutes searching my AIM for vacuum diagrams and nothing seems to be there in much detail. My Chilton Manual seems to be worthless as well. Can anyone share the vacuum diagrams for a 1980 car? Specifically the vacuum storage tank. What system is that even associated with? Headlights? I know it's not emissions. Not on those diagrams.

Last edited by Ak. Mal; 03-05-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 AM
tomard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 80 has the diagram with canister shown on the inside of hood!!!

If you want copy of that one let me know, with an email address and I will send it to you.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by tomard

If you want copy of that one let me know, with an email address and I will send it to you.
I have already sent him a blow up of the underhood decal. I can send you a picture of the canister location with the body off.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

I'll take any information I can get right now.

Is my vacuum tank located in the wrong place? It is strapped to the bumper support bar currently. It was that way when I bought it. Is it supposed to be mounted in the drivers fender with the Charcoal cannister?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
la80vette
Advanced

I think you're talking about two different tanks. The one on the bumper support is the vacuum cannister that operates the headlights. The vapor cannister is in the fender well below the brake booster. Hope this helps.

Stephen
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

I am indeed referring to both the vacuum storage cannister and the fuel vapor (charcoal) cannister.

I have to install the charcoal cannister for emissions. I bought one and was looking at how it installed last night when I found a loose rubber line that was not connected to anything in the area that the charcoal cannister should be mounted. I followed the rubber line back to the front of the car where it was attached to the center port on the vacuum storage tank.

KENS80V has already sent me a diagram for the emissions system which the vacuum tank is not listed on. My Chilton's manual doesn't list a vacuum diagram for the headlight system for 1980. I can't figure out what the three ports on the vacuum cannister are suppose to be connected to.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
tomard
Racer

Send me your email and I will shoot you picture of headlight vacuum layout that I have.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

tomard - Thank you for the email. I figured out what was missing pretty quickly.

I scribbled out in red what is cut out of my vacuum system. 4 years and I'm still finding crappy gifts from the previous owner.

So, does this mean that my headlights only raised because of the vacuum from the headlight switch? What kind of difference will I see by hooking up the missing connection? Right now the lights go up one at a time but when the car is turned off, they will not fall back down even after weeks of not starting the car.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
tomard
Racer

Since the thing was left hanging by PO, I would go through the troubleshooting steps that I sent you. When I did mine, I had bad checkvalve, a bad switch, some bad hose, one bad relay valve and one bad actuator ...... All working like new now
Old 02-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Jean Thurman
1st Gear

Originally Posted by KENS80V
I have already sent him a blow up of the underhood decal. I can send you a picture of the canister location with the body off.
I know its an old post but I was wondering if you still have a picture of the diagram? We are trying to fix my sons corvette. We are having trouble finding a diagram. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2021, 03:30 PM
Edward Surprenant
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1980 Corvette vacuum diagram

Hi...I have been working on mt '80 Corvette and failed to adequately label and take pictures of every vacuum connection...any chance you could send me that vacuum diagram that you listed below?

Thanks in advance eusurp@gmail.com

Soup

Originally Posted by tomard

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Vacuum Diagrams

Quick Reply: 1980 Vacuum Diagrams