C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer with hydraulic lift gate

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 AM
sdz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer with hydraulic lift gate

I am looking for options for enclosed trailers with hydraulic lift gates. Ideally I would like to drive onto the lift gate, tie the Vette down, and then raise it into the trailer. I know these are made for semi trailers, but are they also made for single-car enclosed trailers (36' +/-)? I am hoping to find something for under $20k.

I am looking for something like this so that I can easily load the car and not have to worry about getting out of the car after driving into the trailer. If a hydraulic lift gate is not a reasonable option, what trailers are recommended for the following requirements? 1) handles low to the ground cars 2) easy to load and tie down 3) easy to exit the car / trailer 4) pulls well 5) enclosed. I am open to gooseneck trailers.

I have been looking through other related posts, and it seems like all the trailers appear to be difficult to get out of (opening car door from inside trailer).

(This is for a C6 Z06.)

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdgoat
I am looking for options for enclosed trailers with hydraulic lift gates. Ideally I would like to drive onto the lift gate, tie the Vette down, and then raise it into the trailer. I know these are made for semi trailers, but are they also made for single-car enclosed trailers (36' +/-)? I am hoping to find something for under $20k.

I am looking for something like this so that I can easily load the car and not have to worry about getting out of the car after driving into the trailer. If a hydraulic lift gate is not a reasonable option, what trailers are recommended for the following requirements? 1) handles low to the ground cars 2) easy to load and tie down 3) easy to exit the car / trailer 4) pulls well 5) enclosed. I am open to gooseneck trailers.

I have been looking through other related posts, and it seems like all the trailers appear to be difficult to get out of (opening car door from inside trailer).

(This is for a C6 Z06.)

Thanks!
I would just get a normal trailer and use a wench. Would be simple to load and a much cheaper solution. My track monster is a C6 not a C6Z. So i just pop the top and climb out the top. Makes it pretty easy load the car into the trailer. The top fits perfectly on top my roll cage in the back.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ProgGod
I would just get a normal trailer and use a wench. Would be simple to load and a much cheaper solution. My track monster is a C6 not a C6Z. So i just pop the top and climb out the top. Makes it pretty easy load the car into the trailer. The top fits perfectly on top my roll cage in the back.
I'm considering a winch in my trailer too. I trailered my 69 camaro a bunch of times and never though much about it because it was a convertible. The first time I had to trailer my 67 GTO it took quite a while to get out of it. I actually broke my sunglasses when I hit my head on the door frame and broke my phone clip off my hip.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
sdz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ProgGod
My only concern with the wench is how easily I can hook onto the car (in a safe location). With my GTO it seemed to be a little tricky -- the cable would scrape the bottom of the front if I wasn't careful. I have not tried it with the Vette yet, but the Vette seems to be lower and have less room for a cable. The height of the cable off the deck will make a big difference. I think it might be difficult to get the cable low enough to do it easily. Am I mistaken? Is anyone using a wench with a newer Vette?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by sdgoat
My only concern with the wench is how easily I can hook onto the car (in a safe location). With my GTO it seemed to be a little tricky -- the cable would scrape the bottom of the front if I wasn't careful. I have not tried it with the Vette yet, but the Vette seems to be lower and have less room for a cable. The height of the cable off the deck will make a big difference. I think it might be difficult to get the cable low enough to do it easily. Am I mistaken? Is anyone using a wench with a newer Vette?
You just put one of those tow hooks in the front out of the bumper. Then it would be super easy to hook it up.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Get a side door on the drivers side of the trailer. Might have to use extra riser tracks to drive or winch up onto, so the vette drivers door clears the trailer fender wells inside the trailer. Winch's are nice for race cars, but on the Vette, you will need to add a tow hook. not sure how you would do that without cutting up the Corvette front end for a tow hook. easy to do, but you will be hurting your resale with a hole in the front body work or air dam.
Make sure the trailer has dropped axles to lower the deck height of the trailer. use long ramps to keep from scraping when loading- unloading. Use wheel straps that pass throught the wheels and winch straps from those to the tiedowns in the floor of the trailer.
You would have to custom build what you describe as a hydraulic ramp door that will move into the trailer. 40 years racing and towing race cars,,Never seen anything like that. even the hydraulic rear ramp door on the car transports we use still require the car to be pushed or winched into the trailer once the ramp has been raised to the correct level
Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Racer86
Get a side door on the drivers side of the trailer. Might have to use extra riser tracks to drive or winch up onto, so the vette drivers door clears the trailer fender wells inside the trailer. Winch's are nice for race cars, but on the Vette, you will need to add a tow hook. not sure how you would do that without cutting up the Corvette front end for a tow hook. easy to do, but you will be hurting your resale with a hole in the front body work or air dam.
Make sure the trailer has dropped axles to lower the deck height of the trailer. use long ramps to keep from scraping when loading- unloading. Use wheel straps that pass throught the wheels and winch straps from those to the tiedowns in the floor of the trailer.
You would have to custom build what you describe as a hydraulic ramp door that will move into the trailer. 40 years racing and towing race cars,,Never seen anything like that. even the hydraulic rear ramp door on the car transports we use still require the car to be pushed or winched into the trailer once the ramp has been raised to the correct level

You could attach the tow hook underneath the bumper, the air damn on the bottom may need to be cut, but that is cheap to replace when you go to trade in your car. Nice thing with a winch is you could still guide your car in with the steering wheel through the window, you just don't have to crawl through it
Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Yep, and loading with a winch, you don't have to slip the clutch in the car at all. Much better for the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer with hydraulic lift gate

Quick Reply: Trailer with hydraulic lift gate