C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

lexan top cracking?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lexan top cracking?

I was looking at my original Lexan top that developed a severe crack in the front just right of center along the edge. I thought I had either mishandled it or put stress on it when it was in the "trunk". I replaced it with a new one several years ago, and don't want another problem.

I use the top sometimes when I don't want the Z to sit out in the heat with the new top. Anyway, I noticed that when I tightened the front bolts the first few inches of the top flexed a bit. If I tighten it all the way to where the bolt seems to stop (very snug and firm tightening) I can see where the crack may have developed because of the mounting/tightening process.

Have any of you had any problems with your tops from "overtightening" or maybe misalignment when replacing the weatherstripping????
Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
terryszr1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want to redjust the top. are you tightening the back bolts first. then finish tightening the fronts . one way to tell if you need tp adjust it is . start the back bolts to finger tight then try to start the fronts if they are hard to start then you need to redjust the frnt mounting brackets . he is a tip yo keep your lexan nice forever .spray and wipe in a coat of furnature polish with a damp cotton towel.it will keep it nice forever . also if you are parking the car in the sun take a bath towel and through it over the top and put the ends between the top and windows. sun kills lexan over a period of time.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terryszr1
you want to redjust the top. are you tightening the back bolts first. then finish tightening the fronts . one way to tell if you need tp adjust it is . start the back bolts to finger tight then try to start the fronts if they are hard to start then you need to redjust the frnt mounting brackets . he is a tip yo keep your lexan nice forever .spray and wipe in a coat of furnature polish with a damp cotton towel.it will keep it nice forever . also if you are parking the car in the sun take a bath towel and through it over the top and put the ends between the top and windows. sun kills lexan over a period of time.
Thanks. Good tips. I almost never leave it out in our blazing sun without the top being covered with something. The dealership installed the "new" top I have now, and it did take them a few tries to get the brackets aligned right.

It fit really well with the old weatherstripping, but I have a really hard time getting it so "sit down" so I can start the bolts with the new ws. I keep the windows up and the top tightened down all the time now so everything will compress and seat properly but putting the top back on is a bear.

Get notified of new replies

To lexan top cracking?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lexan top cracking?