C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LS2 into C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:43 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 into C4

I read the LS1 transplant FAQ, which was very helpful. What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever done an LS2 into a C4? How much different would it be than the ls1. I'm thinkin LS2 with TH400 and gear vendors overdrive unit. Any problems one would think I would run into?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I would think you'll run into alot of problems with any LSx engine swap.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
I would think you'll run into alot of problems with any LSx engine swap.
Like what?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

You need to make your question more specific. What year C4, trans, ect. Do you even have a C4? I don't see one listed in your profile.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
You need to make your question more specific. What year C4, trans, ect. Do you even have a C4? I don't see one listed in your profile.
My bad. 1987 auto.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

There have been a few on this forum that have done an LSx swap. Hopefully, they will chime in and help you out. It looks like alot of headaches to me.

-Mike
Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 PM
CRV3TT3
Burning Brakes

corvette enthusiast magazine is currently doing a ls2 swap into an early c4.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CRV3TT3
corvette enthusiast magazine is currently doing a ls2 swap into an early c4.
Sweet! It might be a lot of headaches but i think in the end it will be worth all the trouble. What month/s are they? thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would use a 4L60E, since you can swap the 700R4 tail shaft housing onto the trans and have a bolt-in solution. Externally, an LS2 is the same as an LS1, so it will bolt it no problem with the SpeedHound motor plates, and you can run Melrose swap headers. After swapping the tailshaft, you just need to drill some holes in the c-beam.

The fun part will be the wiring.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by k_ljones
I read the LS1 transplant FAQ, which was very helpful. What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever done an LS2 into a C4? How much different would it be than the ls1. I'm thinkin LS2 with TH400 and gear vendors overdrive unit. Any problems one would think I would run into?
if you are on a budget, it CAN'T be done.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mojave
I would use a 4L60E, since you can swap the 700R4 tail shaft housing onto the trans and have a bolt-in solution. Externally, an LS2 is the same as an LS1, so it will bolt it no problem with the SpeedHound motor plates, and you can run Melrose swap headers. After swapping the tailshaft, you just need to drill some holes in the c-beam.

The fun part will be the wiring.
Not lookin forward to the wiring haha. I wonder if there will be any major obstacles i will run into with the wiring. As for the 4L60E do you think i can get one built up to be as durable as a TH400?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
if you are on a budget, it CAN'T be done.
This is why I'm researching as of right now its not lookin so bad. I really need to get my hands on that build up in Corvette Enthusiast.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

This is why I'm researching as of right now its not lookin so bad. I really need to get my hands on that build up in Corvette Enthusiast.
oo! it's bad.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Not lookin forward to the wiring haha. I wonder if there will be any major obstacles i will run into with the wiring. As for the 4L60E do you think i can get one built up to be as durable as a TH400?
You can build a 4L60E to take a good amount of abuse. I can't imagine doing an LS2 swap and using a 3 speed trans.

I looked into this for my car, and I figure at least $6K to get it done.

engine: $2000
trans: $2000? Not sure what a built trans costs
motor plates: $100
headers: $700
wiring harness: $700
Computer: $200
c-beam mods: $100 ??

It all adds up really quick, especially if you want to build the engine or trans. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but, rather, it won't be that cheap.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

It's only bad when you start out using expensive motors. I would go from the stand point of how much power do you want to make, how much money do you want to spend, and are there any other goals you'd like to obtain. For instance, you can build a 6.0 truck motor to 450 rwhp for less than any LS2 will cost you. It will not save you much weight though if that's a goal. The tighter the budget, the more compromises you must make. I'd give up weight to make more power when we are talking a lot more power or heck even just to get the project done and down the road. You've got it easy starting with an early C4. The ZF guys hate this swap because they can't use their transmissions at all. You could if you wanted to use your 700R4 or you could easily swap to a 4L60E. The 4L60E can easily handle an LS2. Once you build the LS2 you'll need to also build the 4L60E. That's normal though. I would not go with a TH400 and an GV OD unit. Too much weight and too many issues making it work with the Cbeam. What Mojave said about swapping tail shafts and drilling holes is correct when using my plates. It really is that easy to get the engine/trans into the car. The headers are readily available. The wiring is extensive but not hard. I'm still working in an AC solution but do not have one right now. DeWitts makes a radiator/fan combination that will cool the engine. The stocker may work fine as well. I'd rather upgrade though. Random Tech will be making their dual exhaust system fit up to the headers. So potentially you could build the exhaust system in your garage without going to a shop. Or you can take it to a shop and have it custom done.

Don't give up on this unless your plan was to just throw money at the car to make it happen. It's labor intensive so it will cost a lot if that's your approach. If you take your time and spend wisely, you'll be able to get very far for not a lot of money.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. This next issue of Corvette Fever I think will have some more info on C4orce. Specifically engine information.

Thanks
Trey
Old 01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mojave
You can build a 4L60E to take a good amount of abuse. I can't imagine doing an LS2 swap and using a 3 speed trans.

I looked into this for my car, and I figure at least $6K to get it done.

engine: $2000
trans: $2000? Not sure what a built trans costs
motor plates: $100
headers: $700
wiring harness: $700
Computer: $200
c-beam mods: $100 ??

It all adds up really quick, especially if you want to build the engine or trans. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but, rather, it won't be that cheap.
Thats the beauty of the Gear vendors unit. It splits each gear making it a six speed. Just a three speed wouldn't make sence. This car is going to be a dd. I want good mileage and still be able to go out and slap the gears on the weekend.

I'm not doing the build because its cheap I'm doing the build because its what I want. If I was going to do it cheap I would try and mod with the L98 that I already have and try and be happy with 300hp haha. I figured quite a bit higher than your figures too.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 into C4

Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
k_ljones
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Speed Hound
It's only bad when you start out using expensive motors. I would go from the stand point of how much power do you want to make, how much money do you want to spend, and are there any other goals you'd like to obtain. For instance, you can build a 6.0 truck motor to 450 rwhp for less than any LS2 will cost you. It will not save you much weight though if that's a goal. The tighter the budget, the more compromises you must make. I'd give up weight to make more power when we are talking a lot more power or heck even just to get the project done and down the road. You've got it easy starting with an early C4. The ZF guys hate this swap because they can't use their transmissions at all. You could if you wanted to use your 700R4 or you could easily swap to a 4L60E. The 4L60E can easily handle an LS2. Once you build the LS2 you'll need to also build the 4L60E. That's normal though. I would not go with a TH400 and an GV OD unit. Too much weight and too many issues making it work with the Cbeam. What Mojave said about swapping tail shafts and drilling holes is correct when using my plates. It really is that easy to get the engine/trans into the car. The headers are readily available. The wiring is extensive but not hard. I'm still working in an AC solution but do not have one right now. DeWitts makes a radiator/fan combination that will cool the engine. The stocker may work fine as well. I'd rather upgrade though. Random Tech will be making their dual exhaust system fit up to the headers. So potentially you could build the exhaust system in your garage without going to a shop. Or you can take it to a shop and have it custom done.

Don't give up on this unless your plan was to just throw money at the car to make it happen. It's labor intensive so it will cost a lot if that's your approach. If you take your time and spend wisely, you'll be able to get very far for not a lot of money.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. This next issue of Corvette Fever I think will have some more info on C4orce. Specifically engine information.

Thanks
Trey
Thanks for putting in the time to reply to this. Tons of good information there for me to digest. I really like the lighter is better approach and am lookin at about 450rwhp. I know i don't want go any heavier I would like it handle well. Shouldn't be too hard with an LS2. 4L60E is sounding better all the time a lot better on the pocketbook too. The GV unit is pretty spendy. Thanks again!

Last edited by k_ljones; 01-14-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:12 AM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're worried about the harness and tuning you can now convert an LSx to carb. You'd still have to build your timing #'s as the ignition would be controlled by a GMPP available controller.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Thats the beauty of the Gear vendors unit. It splits each gear making it a six speed. Just a three speed wouldn't make sence. This car is going to be a dd. I want good mileage and still be able to go out and slap the gears on the weekend.

I'm not doing the build because its cheap I'm doing the build because its what I want. If I was going to do it cheap I would try and mod with the L98 that I already have and try and be happy with 300hp haha. I figured quite a bit higher than your figures too.
While anything is possible, making that setup worth with the c-beam will require some definite engineering. C4's don't have a cross member, and the c-beam attaches to the end of the trans. I have no idea what that OD unit looks like, but mating it up to the c-beam sounds like a lot of work.

Originally Posted by xrcrx
If you're worried about the harness and tuning you can now convert an LSx to carb. You'd still have to build your timing #'s as the ignition would be controlled by a GMPP available controller.
Why would you spend all that time and money to swap to an LS2 and NOT use the fuel injection? The FI setups on LSx motors are very, very powerful and flexible. You can tune it to run with all but the most extreme engines. If you want a carb'ed motor, why not just keep an SBC and avoid a lot of wasted time/money?

Last edited by Mojave; 01-15-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: LS2 into C4