C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a phone call through Onstar?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Making a phone call through Onstar?

Is there a way to call a number that was a extension through Onstar when you have NAV. Their instructions say that you press the OnStar button and they come on and say OnStar ready. You say dial and they tell you to speak the whole number. They repeat it back and ask you to say yes or no. Then the number is dialed. This is the problematic part. You're supposed to press the mute button and then speak the number for the extension. But the NAV has no mute button. So what do you do?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I also can't use it to check my work vw for that same reason, no keypad to enter ext and password
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
Is there a way to call a number that was a extension through Onstar when you have NAV. Their instructions say that you press the OnStar button and they come on and say OnStar ready. You say dial and they tell you to speak the whole number. They repeat it back and ask you to say yes or no. Then the number is dialed. This is the problematic part. You're supposed to press the mute button and then speak the number for the extension. But the NAV has no mute button. So what do you do?
It is not possible with the 05 - 08 Corvette, even if you have upgraded your 2005 to the Gen 6 Digital OnStar.

On other vehicles that have the OnStar "Talk Button" button, ON THE STEERING WHEEL, it is possible.

Last edited by calemasters; 11-28-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

My CTS-V salesman told me how last year and darn if I remember--I thing it involved buttons on the radio. I'll call him tomorrow and post.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Ken07AOVert
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default buttons

I also 'think' I read somewhere that there are buttons on the nav that allow you to dial. I just do not know how to access them. It may have been some crackpot that said woohoo look what I did, then could not back it up and lockdown occured. But, it would be cool if we can figure it out. Voice dialing sucks.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 AM
SkeeterC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call OnStar

Couldn't you just call OnStar (hit the blue button) and
ask them. Just a thought.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 AM
BlakShark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Point haven't ran into it but would like to know
Old 11-28-2007, 01:33 AM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SkeeterC6

Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do know they used to make pocket phone tone generators. You could hold to the mic and send a tone to your answerer that way. I might even have one laying around here.

OK I found some on e-bay. This unit will allow you to tone your answerer through the onstar microphone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Automatic-Teleph...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Jet Stream; 11-28-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:54 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

Originally Posted by SkeeterC6
Had already tried that. Their suggestion was to go to the dealer and have a mute button installed.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had already tried that. Their suggestion was to go to the dealer and have a mute button installed.
Just as I figured.
Ask them a question that's not in their database and those minimum wage "advisors" are as clueless as a Circuit City "associate".
Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Tom when you figure it out please let me know.I too have an 08 with NAv and haven't yet been able to figure it out either.PS onstar is no help they tell you about buttons we dont even have,apparently there is many different versions of the onstar phone.

Ron
Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

My CTS-V salesman called back today and his explanation,that I had forgotten,on how to connect to an extension is as follows: hit phone button, say "dial", speak the number of the phone you want to reach and when it connects to a menu, hit phone button again and say "dial" again, then speak the extension number. I haven't tried this in the Caddy nor my 08 Vette but give it a shot--failing this CALL ONSTAR.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

nmerhaut the second time you press the phone button just ends the call. Like said I already called Onstar.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by calemasters
It is not possible with the 05 - 06 Corvette, even if you have upgraded your 2005 to the Gen 6 Digital OnStar.

On other vehicles that have the OnStar "Talk Button" button, it is possible.
The Nav menu indicates that button as the talk symbol and says the following:

Press this talk symbol hard key and release it when you hear a beep. The audio system, if on,
will mute.

Corvette Junkie, you might try pressing the Nav voice command button and see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Making a phone call through Onstar?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

NAV voice command button is still no go.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

NAV voice command button is still no go.
Bummer, sorry.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
My CTS-V salesman called back today and his explanation,that I had forgotten,on how to connect to an extension is as follows: hit phone button, say "dial", speak the number of the phone you want to reach and when it connects to a menu, hit phone button again and say "dial" again, then speak the extension number. I haven't tried this in the Caddy nor my 08 Vette but give it a shot--failing this CALL ONSTAR.
Not the "phone button" , it is the "Tallk Button" which the Corvette does not have. And no, it can not be installed by the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making a phone call through Onstar?