Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint bubble!?!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint bubble!?!

Driving home yesterday, I noticed something on my paint. I got home to see a bubbling in the paint about an inch wide! What, if anything can be done to shrink it?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bucstiger40
Driving home yesterday, I noticed something on my paint. I got home to see a bubbling in the paint about an inch wide! What, if anything can be done to shrink it?

Is this a new paint job? If it's a fresh paint job it needs to go back to the paint shop.

Can you post a pic of said bubble?

If it's old paint...you might be in need of new paint.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

DON'T TOUCH IT. & DON'T STICK A PIN INTO IT. is your paint new? if so it may have been caused by the sun if the car was parked in the hot sun for a long time. if so put it in the garage and it should go back down on its own. I have seen it before and I think its from dirt or oil under the new paint in that spot. the right way to fix it is to sand and re-paint the area or hope it goes down and after a few days wash & wax her.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

the paint job is about 3-5 yrs. old now, previous owner had it done. It was not there even a week ago. Thats what agrivates me. It has been out from under cover for about 2 weeks because of renovations to the carport/ kitchen. I know the Alabama sun has more than likely done this, I accept full responsibility for this (you dawg me here), but what can be done to fix this? My college income cannot afford a new paint job quite yet. I'll try to post a pic soon.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:51 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

I knew better than to stick a pin into my corvette, i cringe when I think about the consequences of doing that.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the paint job is about 3-5 yrs. old now, previous owner had it done. It was not there even a week ago. Thats what agrivates me. It has been out from under cover for about 2 weeks because of renovations to the carport/ kitchen. I know the Alabama sun has more than likely done this, I accept full responsibility for this (you dawg me here), but what can be done to fix this? My college income cannot afford a new paint job quite yet. I'll try to post a pic soon.

This might be an extreme case of solvent pop. Usually you lay fresh paint, the solvents and chemicals under the clear will bubble through it. These are usually very small pin head size bubbles.

However, if there was some sort of contaminate, maybe oil based, that had soaked into the fiberglass under that bubble before the paint was laid it may have just been sitting dormant until the sun was beating down on it.

If there was enough of a contamination to cause gas release, then yes, it might very well be a large pocket of contaminate gas. If the paint starts to crack or split, you'll have to sand the area down and try your best at a match and blend.

When it was painted...was a BC/CC system used or a cheaper single stage paint job?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:05 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

I have no idea, I'll have to contact the previous owner. By looking at the job that was done, it could be either. The paint is beautiful, the only place that it looks as if it could be a cheap repaint is on the nose where the front bumper meets the the rest of the car, its as if they painted over the seam instead of leaving it. It's got some cracking in the paint there. So who knows but the previous owner?

I think I'll let the car stay under the carport( where it usually was before the construction on the house) and see if the bubble goes down. Let's hope it doesnt stay and to sand and match paint, this wouldnt be good

Last edited by bucstiger40; 11-01-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 PM
tobyte1
Racer

[QUOTE=Durango_boy;1562569362]

However, if there was some sort of contaminate, maybe oil based, that had soaked into the fiberglass under that bubble before the paint was laid it may have just been sitting dormant until the sun was beating down on it.

QUOTE]

Usually bubbles mean adhesion problems. I live about an hour from Montgomery, I would be glad to take a look at it for you. Fiberglass is what I do. PM or email thefourtaylors@bellsouth.net or call:334-744-8088
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

Was it painted with sherwin williams. My car was painted with ultra 7000. about a year after it was painted my paint did the same thing but the bubble popped and now i have peeling paint. Tried to call sherwin williams to see what they would do about it since i was a SW Paint shop and got no response from 15 phone calls or emails. Also whatch out for car covers that could be what caused it I have seen car covers cause all kinds of marks on paint.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=tobyte1;1562569510]
Originally Posted by Durango_boy

QUOTE]

Usually bubbles mean adhesion problems. I live about an hour from Montgomery, I would be glad to take a look at it for you. Fiberglass is what I do. PM or email thefourtaylors@bellsouth.net or call:334-744-8088
Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 PM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a bubble like you are describing on a vette at a body shop. The owner said "See, that's what happens when you don't strip a vette". I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing it was prep problems.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

it can also happen if stripper was used such as the air craft paint remover you buy at the stores. That stuff will soak in and weaken fiberglass.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

A real good painter can spot it in. But you will need the exact present color. Not everyone can match and feather the area in.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

If you dont know the color find a paint store that has a color eye. A color eye is a gun they will take out to your car and it will give them the paint code and be a close match and then the painter can tint the paint if need be to make a perfect match.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:22 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Just curious, where was the bubble? Was it on the hood above the A/C compressor?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 PM
bucstiger40
Advanced

no, on the nose about 6 inches from the crossed flags

Get notified of new replies

To Paint bubble!?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint bubble!?!