Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Questions on some Texas laws

Old 10-28-2007, 05:58 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Questions on some Texas laws

So, I've been here in Houston for about two years now. I bought my vette from an out of state dealer in June. I still have the registration sticker still sitting in my glovebox. First off, how much can I get it trouble for keeping this in my glovebox and not putting it on the windshield?

My next question relates to the other sticker that is usually on Texas vehicles (inspection sticker). They told me that since car was new it was inspection exempt for two years. Seems reasonable, but I never received any kind of document or sticker that would verify this. Should I go to an inspection place and ask them what the proper procedure is?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have Texas plates, you need both a current registration sticker and a current inspection sticker on your windshield. The only exception is for antique vehicles.

The dealer was full of A new car gets 2 years on its FIRST sticker. If you have none, you are in violation.

One of these days, a bored cop is going to pull you over. So get it done!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Per your Profile you have a '07.

If you purchased it new - the inspection sticker should be good for 2 years from the date of sale, or the registration date - which ever came first.

If the dealer DID NOT apply the State Inspection Sticker for Texas (even though it was purchased out of state) it is your responsibility to get one - BTW, this will probably mean your sticker will be good for one (1) year only.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
silver01z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything posted so far is correct. if you dont have them you need to. as far as what will happen, not much really. they will pull you over and at worst give you a ticket. get your stickers or put them on and have the tickets dismissed. i have done this many times. the only trouble you can run into is if you dont have current insurance or a current insurance card with you when you are pulled over. most cities in texas now have laws saying they can tow your car for not having insurance and that includes a expired insurance card. now the cops dont have to tow you of course but they can.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:53 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Good information. In Houston, is there any place I should go in particular? (MOGO, a Chevy dealer, etc.) I don't want just anyone installing the sticker. I will want to do it myself.

Edit: Talking to a coworker, it will be a one year inspection and it seems that it's unavoidable to have someone drive my car and place the sticker on my windshield. I can't believe these processes are different for every state. You would think that the federal government would standardize on some of this stuff.

Last edited by PCMusicGuy; 10-29-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

They Will Put On For You...Or Watch You Put It On, There At The Inspection Station....They will Not Just Give It To You,"To Go".

If It Is A Out Of State Title, Plates, and Inspection...Then A "Green Sheet" Will Have To Be Issued, By The Inspector.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:54 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Just wanted to give an update. I had a local dealership do the inspection today. They checked lights, horn, wipers, did a visual on the brakes, tires, and maybe a couple other things. They installed the sticker and the only thing they needed to see was proof of liability insurance. They didn't even care that I kept my registration sticker in the glovebox. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Just keep in mind that if you don't have both stickers on the windshield, you provide LEO's probable cause to pull you over.....
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Ishams00vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
Just keep in mind that if you don't have both stickers on the windshield, you provide LEO's probable cause to pull you over.....
Old 10-31-2007, 03:39 PM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

Just To keep Both Sides Of The Table Equal....I Do Not Care, Where You Stick That Thing....However I Like Mine Right Beside, On The Left Of The Inspection Sticker...Kinda Like That It Certifies The 'Vette As A Native Texan.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:04 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
They didn't even care that I kept my registration sticker in the glovebox.
They don't care because it's not in their job description.

Sooner later you'll have to get over it. You will get pulled over. And eventually your car will have to be driven by someone else, you will get door dings -- and if you drive the car like it SHOULD be driven -- you'll get rock chips.

Just ask some of the C5/C6 owners who have joined us on some Hill Country runs. They consider them to be a badge of honor!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM
~Maverick
All Men Die, but Few LIVE
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Rock Chips???? Mannnnn, those were BAD this last Spring on the Blue Bonnet Run! Butttt,.....I WILL ge going again on the next run in the Spring all the same!

As for the Stickers,..the inspection is 'usually' placed on the car by the inspector, however SOME, but NOT all, will let you put it on if you tell them how **** you are about it lining up straight and all that, rest assured, they will watch close that you DO put it on the car!...the registration is up to you regardless, you can get that thru the mail and no one BUT you will put that on the car.....I've never had a problem with the 2 stickers in the window...it's that HORRIBLE looking front License plate that I fight.....errrr!

~Maverick
Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 AM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There is an order that the stickers have to be in, ie: the inspection on the top and the tag on the bottom or the other way around. Not sure as I run dealer tags and the sticker is on the tag for dlr tags and the state only issues one metal dlr tag so I do not have to run the front tag. So if one of you would look at your vette you will be able to tell which way the correct order is. If they are in the wrong order they are subject to being removed by LEO as they will be suspect of being illegal or stolen from another vehicle.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 AM
~Maverick
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thats the 1st I've EVER heard of something like that, which order they are in would make ZERO sense. Actually, after going out and looking at half the vehicles out there I really doubt that is true...many are one way or the other, some are side by side and I've even noticed some on the top left corner vs. the lower corner. As for it being suspect of stolen, thats easily verified as BOTH the inspection and the registration have the license plate number on them to stop that very thing...also both have bar codes on them which are tied to the vehicles registration number as well. However, there are MANY obscure little laws that are written just for the VERY excuse they give LEO's to jack with you if they want to...so I suppose it is possible(I'm too lazy to research into it further, hehehe), I just think it's unlikely that even the cops will know the correct order if there is one...

~Maverick

Originally Posted by TEXASRANGER
There is an order that the stickers have to be in, ie: the inspection on the top and the tag on the bottom or the other way around. Not sure as I run dealer tags and the sticker is on the tag for dlr tags and the state only issues one metal dlr tag so I do not have to run the front tag. So if one of you would look at your vette you will be able to tell which way the correct order is. If they are in the wrong order they are subject to being removed by LEO as they will be suspect of being illegal or stolen from another vehicle.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ~Maverick
Thats the 1st I've EVER heard of something like that, which order they are in would make ZERO sense. Actually, after going out and looking at half the vehicles out there I really doubt that is true...many are one way or the other, some are side by side and I've even noticed some on the top left corner vs. the lower corner. As for it being suspect of stolen, thats easily verified as BOTH the inspection and the registration have the license plate number on them to stop that very thing...also both have bar codes on them which are tied to the vehicles registration number as well. However, there are MANY obscure little laws that are written just for the VERY excuse they give LEO's to jack with you if they want to...so I suppose it is possible(I'm too lazy to research into it further, hehehe), I just think it's unlikely that even the cops will know the correct order if there is one...

~Maverick
This is from the book.
:
Follow these steps to install your sticker:
Peel the sticker off from the back of the registration receipt.
Place the sticker either on top or next to your inspection sticker. The two stickers cannot be farther than six inches apart.
Throw away the sticker marked “VOID” on the front of the registration receipt.

So it has to be on TOP or the SIDE but not the bottom. and the inspection stations have rules that state where they put the stickers from DPS.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/...on_sticker.htm

Last edited by TEXASRANGER; 11-01-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Having the inspection sticker on the bottom is the only logical choice. This is because a car gets an inspection sticker at the dealer as part of dealer prep; i.e., when it arrives at the dealer from the factory. It's only when the car is sold that it gets the registration sticker...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM
~Maverick
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I just called the Texas Dept. of Transportation...they said it makes NO differance what so ever which is on top or bottom, as long as both of them are there....Plus I was also going to say, but as Page 62 beat me to saying, ...the car gets an inspection sticker BEFORE it gets it's registration sticker...and they generally DO NOT let you put those stickers on the window....My inspection is on the BOTTOM on one Corvette and the Registration is one the Bottom on the other Corvette, I don't think I'm going to worry about it...both are there.

~Maverick

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on some Texas laws

Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by page62
They don't care because it's not in their job description.

Sooner later you'll have to get over it. You will get pulled over. And eventually your car will have to be driven by someone else, you will get door dings -- and if you drive the car like it SHOULD be driven -- you'll get rock chips.

Just ask some of the C5/C6 owners who have joined us on some Hill Country runs. They consider them to be a badge of honor!
Oh don't worry, I drive the car every day rain or shine. I already have plenty of rock chips, door dings, etc. I am not **** about the car but I do like to take care of the things I own, and I have a high attention to detail. The only reason I wanted to install the sticker myself was so I could make sure it was placed outside of my view. The dealer service placed it as far down as they could so I'm happy. The only reason the registration sticker is staying in the glovebox is that if I put it on top of the inspection sticker, it will obstruct my view of the road. Granted, it may only be blocking a square millimeter of my field of vision, but any is too much.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
~Maverick
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Well...if THAT is the only thing stopping you from running with both stickers on like the rest of us it's your choice...but you have been warned you are just ASKING for a ticket.....Trust me, NO cop is going to accept the excuse "it would block my vision"...As long as you don't whine when you DO get the ticket eventually, I say do whatever floats your boat!

~Maverick
Old 11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Oh don't worry, I drive the car every day rain or shine. I already have plenty of rock chips, door dings, etc. I am not **** about the car but I do like to take care of the things I own, and I have a high attention to detail.
I'm glad to hear you're not ****. Enjoy your ride!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions on some Texas laws