C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Oil Leak....Sending Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default Major Oil Leak....Sending Unit?

Ok guys need your help. My 2000 has developed a major oil leak that I cant figure out where its coming from. My sending unit went out sometime ago and I haven't replaced it as of yet. I'm wondering if the bad sending unit is causing the oil leak from somewhere. I have checked the valve covers and they are dry. The leak is coming from above the pan. So it seems to be down to the rear main seal or the the sending unit. If I park and leave it for 15 mins I have a spot about 5 inches in diameter. I can't believe its the rear main simply because of how bad the leak is. She looks like a diesel when idling at a light except the smoke is from under the hood.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:39 AM
noahdr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're oil pressure sending unit went out and you haven't replaced it!?! You're braver than I am. I would clean all the oil off your engine and drive it up on some ramps and wait for it to start leaking. Ether works great to clean oil off of just about anything but be warned its Highly Flammable
Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 AM
CrazyChris
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sending unit is at the top back of the motor. Check behind the intake manifold and see if you feel oil. Another spot to check is on the driver side by the oil filter. There is the oil temp sensor and an oval gasket. I've seen this give way and cause massive oil leaks before. If not that the rear main or there is also a yellow rear oil plug behind the back engine cover.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked the oil filter to see if it's tight? I am alarmed sometimes to find how little torque some installers use when installing the oil filter. I always use 3/4 turn after the gasket makes contact. (Sometimes SLIGHTLY more but NEVER more than one turn)
Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by timemender
Have you checked the oil filter to see if it's tight? I am alarmed sometimes to find how little torque some installers use when installing the oil filter. I always use 3/4 turn after the gasket makes contact. (Sometimes SLIGHTLY more but NEVER more than one turn)
C5s are supposed to have the oil filters torqued on (22 ft lbs), it amounts to 2.5 turns after contact ! Some say it is to prevent leaks, others laugh at it.

Also, you could have the old oil filter gasket stuck to the oil filter bearing surface.

Last edited by Oldvetter; 10-29-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

This is most definately not from the oil filter. Doing some research on here, Thank God for the Corvette Forum, it appears that a bad pressure sending unit can cause a major leak. Im going to replace it this week and hopfully that cures the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Major Oil Leak....Sending Unit?

Quick Reply: Major Oil Leak....Sending Unit?