Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Crank fuse 87 where?

Old 10-20-2007, 02:36 PM
sailrmon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank fuse 87 where?

Replacing fuel pump,can't find crank fuse.I know it's not in fuse box and that it's underhood but damned if I can find it!Thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 05:10 PM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey

Starter enable fuse, VATS fuse, horn fuse, etc are located behind the center IP, behind the telltale lights technically. You'll have to disassemble the leftside IP, then the the center IP, then work your way in. If you take off the dash panel up top you'll get good views to see what you're doing. Take your time.

By the way, the fuel pump RELAY is located in the engine compartment, right underneath the wiper motor, in case you need to access it.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:13 PM
sailrmon
Racer

Originally Posted by CoolVette86
Starter enable fuse, VATS fuse, horn fuse, etc are located behind the center IP, behind the telltale lights technically. You'll have to disassemble the leftside IP, then the the center IP, then work your way in. If you take off the dash panel up top you'll get good views to see what you're doing. Take your time.
It's the fuel pump (crank) fuse I need but thanks for reply.
The following users liked this post:
CWGittings (08-08-2021)
Old 10-20-2007, 05:22 PM
shadowman1
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Fuse Block is located behind access cover in RH end of Instrument Panel. Fuel pump fuse is a 10 amp fuse located in the corner next to the circuit breakers.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey

Hmm, the fuel pump fuse on my '86 and my brother's '87 are all located at the fuse panel inside the passenger side door sill. Do you not have that fuse visible? If you check the diagram, it's the lower right 10amp fuse labeled FP.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you are going to run the fuel lines dry by not having the pump running, then pull that FP fuse as shown in the pic. Or simply pull the connector off the fuel pump relay.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:48 PM
sailrmon
Racer

Thanks guys makes sense to just disconnect relay,the aim being to depresserize system.That 10 fuse is for fuel pump relay but there is another 5 amp for the pump itself named "crank".Be damned if I can find it!Thanks for all replys
Old 10-20-2007, 07:44 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can also use the Schrader valve on the right side fuel rail to depressurize the fuel line.

You should be able to disconnect the wire harness at the top of the fuel tank too. There is a tan/white wire in that harness that leads to the pump.

I looked thru the electrical schematics in my 87 FSM and I cannot find any reference to a "Crank fuse". From what I see, the FP fuse is directly in line from the relay to the fuel pump. Pull that fuse and the pump will not work. The FP relay feeds current to the FP fuse. Fusible Link H feeds power to the FP relay and the ECM controls operation of the FP relay.

There is a 5 amp fuse that protects the cold start injector. That fuse is in the auxilary fuse panel. That "panel" (actually a small block that holds 4 fuses is behind the center instrument panel. you have to remove the center panel trim piece, then remove the DIC cluster. It wil be on the left side of the box.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:45 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just remove the FP fuse, or FR as it's labeled on my 86. It's wired between relay and pump, and a lot easier than messing with the relay.

Get notified of new replies

To Crank fuse 87 where?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank fuse 87 where?