C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How would *YOU* build a Resto-Mod??????

Old 10-07-2007, 03:01 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How would *YOU* build a Resto-Mod??????

In my opinion, the resto-mod craze has produced some truly remarkable cars. From Corvette’s, Camaro’s, Mustang’s and Cuda’s, they have all been treated to modern chassis, engines and paint schemes. Even the big three have produced modern versions of their 60’s muscle cars. Soooo, what if you had a C2 sitting in your garage and GM came to you and said…… “let us know how you want that car re-done and we’ll do it for ya” Kinda like a “Over-haulin” episode, but only better….you get to design the car yourself!!
Here is your project “blank canvas car”, list your chassis, engine, trans, color scheme and interior along with a list of options you would want. Should be fun to see the various renditions you guys come up with!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:26 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't get me started, I've been thinking about this a lot lately...

Fantasy aside, if it were to actually happen, I'd probably start with a '96 LT4 6-speed car, a non-matching '64 coupe, and a Newman or Street Shop frame. Keep what I need from both cars, part out the rest to offset costs, add blood, sweat, tears, money, and time...

I wonder what the C4 guys would think about parting out a '96?

Old 10-07-2007, 03:50 PM
hpexpatriot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1CoolC2

Guys like you and Rich Lagasse make me nuts. Your black car is MAGNIFICENT as are the ones Rich has built. I have been thinking a long time on this also but the issue of funds rears its ugly head time after time. I have a 66 Roadster but when I consider the cost of a frame and an engine....$15K for the top shelf motor and I would still need a donor car. Then we have getting the body into top notch shape............Ahhhhhhhh me.

If you twisted my arm for a parts list....I would build a clone of your Black car or a clone of Rich Lagasses current 63. Differences would be that my workmanship likely would not be up to snuff when compared to eather your car or Rich's car. Rather than clone I think a better term would be "reasonable facsimily".

Again ...beautiful job...congratlations. I could look your car over all day ...so much more exciting that 100 or even a 1000 original down to the nuts and biolts restos.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:27 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Start with Art Morrison chassis (he doesn't build them for mass consumption for the C2, but he will build you one) and put an independent Heidt rear end Ford 9 inch with the disc brakes close to the 3rd member.

Classic Chevy 5 Speed

LS7 OR build something that is different.....everyone that builds these cars seems to have LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7 or soon to be LS3 so when you look under the hood and see one now, it isn't any big deal. Recently saw LS2 in a 57 Chevy with an aftermarket chassis, so the motor has to look different.....so I would go for 427 with some kind of electronic fuel injection stack set up (webers or ?) but something that is different...

well.....you get the idea......

and of course it would be RED....C5 Torch RED......
Old 10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by hpexpatriot
1CoolC2

Guys like you and Rich Lagasse make me nuts. Your black car is MAGNIFICENT as are the ones Rich has built. I have been thinking a long time on this also but the issue of funds rears its ugly head time after time. I have a 66 Roadster but when I consider the cost of a frame and an engine....$15K for the top shelf motor and I would still need a donor car. Then we have getting the body into top notch shape............Ahhhhhhhh me.

If you twisted my arm for a parts list....I would build a clone of your Black car or a clone of Rich Lagasses current 63. Differences would be that my workmanship likely would not be up to snuff when compared to eather your car or Rich's car. Rather than clone I think a better term would be "reasonable facsimily".

Again ...beautiful job...congratlations. I could look your car over all day ...so much more exciting that 100 or even a 1000 original down to the nuts and biolts restos.
Ray,
Thanks for the compliment. The 65 in the picture above is the my "next" project. I've been sitting on it quietly, not too sure what I will do with it. It's a really nice car and I have a 396 cid engine that would fill the rails nicely and make a nice big block clone. I thought it would be really interesting to see what other people would do with it given the opportunity.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO: The LS motors look good and run good, but the "cool" guys are all standing around the big block car talking about it. Someone is telling a story how they had one or raced one or how the fastest car in town was a big block.

If asked about the "resto-mod", the reply is: He just wrote a check for it. And that is all that is said about it.

Whereas the big block car is talked about all night long.

P.S. It is just my observations and not meant to be mean, spiteful, or down play your car. I do think it is a really nice car.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Jeff:

Since you asked for dreams; I would look at an SRIII design type chassis for strength, Dana 60 rear end on a four link (more strength), Fred Flintstone rear tires and an elephant motor up front complete with the dual AFB's. Old School street dragster for sure in that beautiful midyear vert body.

Let's roll those car dollys back to my place just like they are now. (with the car on them)

Rich
Old 10-07-2007, 08:31 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Resto Mod

This all all I have been doing for the past copuple of months.

Fiberglassing and sanding.
This is what I started out with. One old 64 tub.
bought a jamison Frame,
bought the C4 suspension
bought coil overs. bought a totalled out 99 TA
took the LS1 4L60E out

Now I still need all the body parts??????? This may sound crazy, but we are making molds of the one we pulled out of the weeds a couple of months ago. So far we have the 67 BB stingert hood made. We are still in the process of making the body molds. Here are some pics of before and after. Hope to but the interior in Serverville, Tn, in a couple of weeks.

64 tub B4

64 64 Tub during restoration

Jamison Frame

Tub being fitted on Jamison frame with LS1, 4L60E C4 suspension, c4 rear end and coil overs.

We have the rolling chassie just about ready, need to install fuel tank, brake lines and fuel lines and 67 parking brake

Now the body parts.
Here is what we started with making the parts. I know it looks terrible now, But You will be suprised when complete. The bono you see is just used to hold the broken fiberglass pieces in place while we fiberglass the back for support. All the bono in the pic's is coming off. Bond will be used to shape the front and rear as is used in many case of new clips.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...rflaresoff.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...berglassed.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/DSC00045.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/DSC00047.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...DSC00039-1.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/DSC00036.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/DSC00037.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/DSC00039.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...m/DSC00060.jpg

Last edited by splidecision63; 10-07-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by knight37128
IMHO: The LS motors look good and run good, but the "cool" guys are all standing around the big block car talking about it. Someone is telling a story how they had one or raced one or how the fastest car in town was a big block.

If asked about the "resto-mod", the reply is: He just wrote a check for it. And that is all that is said about it.

Whereas the big block car is talked about all night long.

P.S. It is just my observations and not meant to be mean, spiteful, or down play your car. I do think it is a really nice car.

No offense taken. In some cases your comment hits the mark. For the guys who do pick up the phone and "buy" a resto mod car, pay huge bucks and know nothing about "how" it was built, then your comment is true.
I guess I am fortunate, since I had the ability to build the car in my garage with some good friends. I actually feel I have more to talk about than anyone who owns a "production" car big or small block. There is a distinct difference between building a car that you can "bolt together" with production parts and one you have to design and fabricate the parts yourself.

I hear what your saying and we have all met people at shows with cars that know nothing about them and the voice in your head says "bought it".

In all honesty, with today's C2 big block prices, there are probably more big block owners that just "wrote the check"
Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Cj_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am humbled by your ambition!

to me, RestoRod = stock look, modern running gear...

but I love the look of larger 18" rims low low profile tires on the C2... like they were made for it

Cj
Old 10-07-2007, 08:56 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
In all honesty, with today's C2 big block prices, there are probably more big block owners that just "wrote the check"

So true...................

But you can pick them out of a line up.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by firstgear
Start with Art Morrison chassis (he doesn't build them for mass consumption for the C2, but he will build you one) and put an independent Heidt rear end Ford 9 inch with the disc brakes close to the 3rd member.

Classic Chevy 5 Speed

LS7 OR build something that is different.....everyone that builds these cars seems to have LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7 or soon to be LS3 so when you look under the hood and see one now, it isn't any big deal. Recently saw LS2 in a 57 Chevy with an aftermarket chassis, so the motor has to look different.....so I would go for 427 with some kind of electronic fuel injection stack set up (webers or ?) but something that is different...

well.....you get the idea......

and of course it would be RED....C5 Torch RED......

I got carried away with my resto mod and forgot to completely answer you question

Color.
Metalic blue with 67 hood singer painted metalic silver
dark blue carpet, medium blue dash pads, metalic silver tear drop (where the radio and clock goes),
RED steering wheel, white seat covers and blue or white door panels. Black and chrome steering column.

Overhauling just did a 57 vette the same color. It was Beatutiful
Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Jeff, You get all of the fun toys... Can I sign up too??
Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Street Shop Frame, Tremec 5-speed, '96 seats, Old School Bigblock, shark Tripower, 17 " Billet Ralleys. 2006 Chrysler Bright silver Metallic paint, Red interior.

Tom M
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

After I finish the CAD 8.2 L / 700R4 install in my '64, plus a bubble top (It already has a Grand Sport front end and '59 Sting Ray rear) etc.,

I want a '63 swc (or maybe a back windows swap into a '64), Saddle Tan, stock chassis w/Guldstrand and polygraphite, front discs, air, Muncie wide-ratio, whitewall radials on steel rims w/stock hubcaps, a late model FI engine and black boxes to make the electronics work.

Stock looking from the outside, except my signature six tail lights.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
Street Shop Frame, Tremec 5-speed, '96 seats, Old School Bigblock, shark Tripower, 17 " Billet Ralleys. 2006 Chrysler Bright silver Metallic paint, Red interior.

Tom M
Tom,
Sounds like a kick butt car, got to love the combonation of new chassis and classic thumper under the hood

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Jeff, You get all of the fun toys... Can I sign up too??
Heck ya Dave!! I KNOW you could build one Billy bad Azz ride given a clean sheet of paper. Sooo what would it be???
Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
Here is your project “blank canvas car”, list your chassis, engine, trans, color scheme and interior along with a list of options you would want. Should be fun to see the various renditions you guys come up with!!!
SRIII Chassis, C4 front and rear, Coilovers, Blown LS6 with Cam and Heads, T56 6-speed, Narrowed Dana 44 with 3.90's, some bling and comfort.

Get notified of new replies

To How would *YOU* build a Resto-Mod??????

Old 10-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Romulus1960
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on the retro-mod boat as well with my 1960 and using this as a starting point. Someone mentioned parting out a '96 - the stares I get for parting out a '04 Z06 For clarity - I'm not using the C5 transaxle - just assembled it for fun as this is the closest I'll get to having a new Z06 in my garage this decade. How do I get those tires to fit??

HOWEVER - I am definitely on board with a something unique. One of the concessions to my father (father/son project) was that the LS6 would get her on the road while we build something a little more fun along the lines of Rich's suggestions above. A second hood may be necessary for clearance

Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Jeff,

It's great to read the responses with peoples ideas of what they would build. I think the greatest thing about these projects is that you get to express your own ideas, experience the hands-on fun of seeing your project come to life as well as having something unique when completed.

Good to see that you are thinking about the next project - there always seems to be one around the corner.......

Rich
Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New perimeter welded frame with gussets added and motor mounts boxed. VanSteel tubular control arms and semi-coilover with QA-1 double adjustables. Power rack and pinion steering. Guldstrand offset trailing arms with front spherical bearing bushings. Tom's differential (3.73) / half shafts / axles - flange to flange with half shaft safety loops. Tom's upper rear control arms. VBP racing lower rear control arms. Composite rear spring. QA-1 double adjustable rear shocks. GMPP 620 HP 572 ci engine. Vintage Air front runner serpentine accessory drive. Hooker SuperComp side exit headers. Gear Star level IV 200R4 transmission. SSBC calipers. VBP cryo treated sport rotors. Hydroboost power brakes.

One POS 66 body with a marginal birdcage, but that project is next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How would *YOU* build a Resto-Mod??????