C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LS motor in a C4

Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS motor in a C4

Has anyone ever looked in to installing an LS motor (LS6 or 7) in a C4? Whats involved and is there anyone building wiring? Just curious if it's worthwhile.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

There are several LSx threads. Do a search... From what I've read dropping a LSx engine in a Late model C4 wouldn't be possible because of the CCM. Pre-LT1 C4s didn't have a CCM.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:16 PM
hardlight
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like Corvette Fever magazine and MAM are blowing a bizzilion $ on a threadbare C-4 Project. They are installiing a 5.3 iron block truck engine in it, but that's basically the same genarics as the Aluminum series. I stumbled upon it behind one of the trailers and tents at Funfest last friday a week ago and took these pictures of the engine going in so far. They have removed the body so its bare @ssed naked and you can see everything.

so there you are...pictures are better than imagination
Old 09-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by GS023
Has anyone ever looked in to installing an LS motor (LS6 or 7) in a C4? Whats involved and is there anyone building wiring? Just curious if it's worthwhile.
Simple drop-in. Everything bolts up. Like it was made for it.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Corvette Enthusiast (Dec 2007) has an article about a LS2 into an '85
Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
all show and more go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think there's way better motors for the money that u would waste doing the swap! u could built a TT etup with cash left over for a tune!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

For what it costs to drop in an LSX motor, you can put in an LT5. Looks better too.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
There are several LSx threads.
Pre-LT1 C4s didn't have a CCM.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1203191.
28 pages of debate

'90 onwards (L98) got a CCM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Mr6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
There are several LSx threads. Do a search... From what I've read dropping a LSx engine in a Late model C4 wouldn't be possible because of the CCM. Pre-LT1 C4s didn't have a CCM.
The CCM can be dealt with. Sure it complicates it a little more, but no reason to let that stop you from doing a LS swap.

Last edited by Mr6spd; 09-30-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for posting the pictures of C4orce. That's the first time I have seen the seats. The car left the shop the week before Carlisle with no seats and I haven't seen it since. I hope to have it back with me sometime next week.

As I am sure some of you that have seen the car know, we are spending more money on it than is necessary to get the LSx into a C4. I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to do some dress up work to make it look better. As such, items like using braided hose and fittings for the heater hoses is not necessary. It just looks much better this way to me. I hope others agree. The car is very far from complete even under the hood. We needed to get the car drivable so many temporary parts are on the car. Case in point, the wiring harness for the engine is the modified truck harness that came with the engine. We will be using a completely new one built from scratch for the final assembly. Also that filter will not be sitting on the end of the TB like that.

Back to the original topic. There are many threads on this subject that cover a great deal of the basics and will help answer many questions. Costs are no where near as high as people who have not done this swap will claim. It simply depends on how you go about it. It also greatly depends on what year car you are starting with. The later cars will be harder to deal with due to the different, ie more, computer issues. If you have a ZF, at this time the only solution is replacement. It simply will not fit behind an LSx motor. We are trying to work on a solution. We know what needs to be done. It is simply a matter of can it be done without getting a custom one off piece made. We will let you know if we come up with a solution.

An LSx swap can be done and I believe it's 100% worth it.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I was reading a thread from a guy on the Bimmer forums putting one in his 89 3 series. Ironically, putting one in a C4 and in a Bimmer are about the same amount of work if that is any indication.

As a hot rodder, I love the project and give props to those who do it, especially the home grown ones here.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RainDelay
I was reading a thread from a guy on the Bimmer forums putting one in his 89 3 series. Ironically, putting one in a C4 and in a Bimmer are about the same amount of work if that is any indication.
The LS motors are a great choice for just about anything

So far at the track I've seen them in bimmers (as mentioned above) and RX-7's. My understanding is that the LS1/6 adds a tiny total of ~17 lbs over the original 4 cyl turbo piece and adds gobs of torque and even more reliability.

That said, I would stick with somethng more traditionally "SBC" in a C4. I've rebuilt my LT1 twice, once as a 350 and now as a 383. I've achieved the kind of power and torque curves I wanted (both come on very early and are wide and fat, around 400 rwhp and tq) without sacrificing much in the driveability department.

Motor build costs are comparable, but installation costs and headaches are of course higher with the LS motors. If you're into interesting and challenging projects, then this is a good one, and there is a plethora of experience on this forum to help you with the project. But if you're just looking for some performance I would go in a different direction.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LSx

My idea was to drop an LS6 or 7 in to my 96 if it were doable. I have an LT4 in my GS replica injection and all with a T56 behind it. Very nice combination. It was very simple but wiring was purchased as a drop in. The Lt4 just does no have enough grunt for the heavier car. An LS7 in a GS. Cool!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 83 Posts

I gotta say that I would be interested. The driveability of some of the latest LSx motors that are making 500rwhp is simply amazing. My 434 is plenty strong but no way will it pass emissions and its very unhappy in DC traffic.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My idea was to drop an LS6 or 7 in to my 96 if it were doable. I have an LT4 in my GS replica injection and all with a T56 behind it. Very nice combination. It was very simple but wiring was purchased as a drop in. The Lt4 just does no have enough grunt for the heavier car. An LS7 in a GS. Cool!!!!!!!!!!!
That would be a sweet machine. You'd want to show that around at shows and the track. I guess a GS can never be considered a "sleeper", but no one would expect LS7 juice under the hood!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 PM
dchildress
Pro

I was under the impression the LS7 motor is pretty big and wide and barely fit in the C5/C6 chasis.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dchildress
I was under the impression the LS7 motor is pretty big and wide and barely fit in the C5/C6 chasis.
What!?!?

The LS7 block is the exact same size as every other LSx block (from 4.8 to 7.0, all the same on the outside).

Get notified of new replies

To LS motor in a C4

Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dchildress
It's the exact same external dimensions.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:43 PM
black85vette
Instructor

Default project CForce

They had a breif seminar in the tent where that car was parked, the dude that spoke said that it would be covered in a on going series on all of the mods and where to get the parts and the budget was to make a driver for $15K including the car.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

I'd have to say if I was starting with an LT4 car, I would stay with it. The only way I wouldn't is if my goals and desires could not be met by using the LT4. My goals and desires aren't such that a properly built LT4 couldn't meet them in 90% of cases

Have you thought about turbocharging the LT4? That would turn heads and make really nice power.

Also, personally I am not gaga over the LS7. You can build an LS2 for a lot less and make more power than a stock LS7. That could make this swap a lot more justifiable to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS motor in a C4