Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Pioneer Avic D-3 Install (lots of pics)

Old 09-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Black$heep
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pioneer Avic D-3 Install (lots of pics)

I just finished my install this past weekend. It took some time, but I think it payed off. I put in a Pioneer Avic D-3, bluetooth, Ipod, and a backup camera. It's late, so I'll just post the pics. I'm too tired for a full write up. I used SEM texture coating to make it match and Krylon Fusion-Satin Black 2421 for the final finish.

SEM Textured paint
http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yahoo.net/semteco.html
Krylon Fusion Satin Black f
http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

If you have any questions about something I did, ask away.

Last edited by Black$heep; 09-22-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, first post in this area of the forum (to which I still can't figure out how to get here...).

It appears that you cut the stock center console opening for the radio and moved part of it down, to make the opening bigger. If that's the case, what did you use to "bondo" up the opening created when you moved that section down?

If you made the radio opening bigger, then the AC unit had to move down. How did you not have to get rid of the ashtray area?

Again, I'm new to this section. Your console looks amazing, just as if it was stock. Great job!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:18 AM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

first off... sweet job on the bezel! the finished product looks GREAT! congrats on the new mod and thanks for posting some install pics. enjoy the new setup!!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Black$heep
Drifting

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Okay, first post in this area of the forum (to which I still can't figure out how to get here...).

It appears that you cut the stock center console opening for the radio and moved part of it down, to make the opening bigger. If that's the case, what did you use to "bondo" up the opening created when you moved that section down?

If you made the radio opening bigger, then the AC unit had to move down. How did you not have to get rid of the ashtray area?

Again, I'm new to this section. Your console looks amazing, just as if it was stock. Great job!
I did cut the center console and move the entire a/c control down about 3/4 ". Some guys just close off the ashtray area, but I desided to use the space for a place for my phone/wallet. I cut the entire ashtray/cig lighter assy out from the back and molded a new compartment. That was as deep as I could go with out hitting the air bag module. I used epoxy resin to mold everything, sanded, bondo for the fine work, sanded some more, added textured coating, and then painted to match. I found that Krylon Fusion-Satin black matched perfect.

I used these.(Wal-mart)
Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Black$heep
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 KIDD
first off... sweet job on the bezel! the finished product looks GREAT! congrats on the new mod and thanks for posting some install pics. enjoy the new setup!!
Thanks. That's a great compliment coming from you. I have seen several examples of your work floatng around the forum.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:25 AM
TrumpVette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran

How were you able to determine the new exact position of bracket locations to match up with the bezel? Was it just trial and error or did you take measurements?

By the way, Thats a really nice install.

How did you drill the hole for the rear camera without disturbing the plate light?

Thanks, - Danny -
Old 09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Black$heep
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrumpVette
How were you able to determine the new exact position of bracket locations to match up with the bezel? Was it just trial and error or did you take measurements?

By the way, Thats a really nice install.

How did you drill the hole for the rear camera without disturbing the plate light?

Thanks, - Danny -
I reused the removed lower bracket(flipped upside down). I am pretty sure you can just flip the upper bracket upside down and it will be dead on. I used the lower bracket, because it didn't have the bent whole on the back.(needed the space for the bluetooth adapter). I mounted the radio first them pushed the bezel back on over the mounted radio and marked how far down I needed to cut. After cutting, I put the whole thing back in and taped the A/c surround into its new location. A couple dabs of super glue and it was workable. I molded the back first to make it rigid and then stared on the front.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, you're just scary talented. I wouldn't try this if someone held a gun to my head.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:43 PM
jarda
Burning Brakes

Great work...Very clean
Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Great job man
Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

werd.

Want to help me do mine
Old 09-23-2007, 09:29 PM
provp
Advanced

Default Pioneer Install

Jeremy, did you connect to your stock Bose system?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Black$heep
Drifting

Originally Posted by provp
Jeremy, did you connect to your stock Bose system?
I tried. I bought the adapters, but still couldn't get the stock subs to power up. I finally ran the stock front tweets and backs right off the Avic D-3. I already had my sub in the back, so I didn't really need the stock subs. It sounds ok, but i think it could sounds way better. I'm going to be putting in some components soon. I just have to decide which ones. I still have the Peripheral SVEN2. I never used it.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Fantastic job!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Great Job on a Great Mod!!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
provp
Advanced

Jeremy, Great Install! Where did you tie into your VSS signal?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Black$heep
Drifting

Originally Posted by provp
Jeremy, Great Install! Where did you tie into your VSS signal?
I had the Bose system and I tied into the stock 12 pin harness. The bose uses the speed sensor to raise and lower the volume according to the RPMs. The wire is at the back of the stock bose harness, dark green with a white stripe.

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer Avic D-3 Install (lots of pics)

Old 12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Archdog75
Racer

I had the Bose system and I tied into the stock 12 pin harness. The bose uses the speed sensor to raise and lower the volume according to the RPMs. The wire is at the back of the stock bose harness, dark green with a white stripe.
Do you have a picture of the harness? How is that wire working for you, any problems because some people use the wire behind the custer or wire near the pcm.... Or is it the same wire but easier to get to.

Also, where did you tap for the reverse signal?

Where did you get the right angle attachment for your drill... I went to Home Depot and asked for one, and he acted like he had no idea where I could get one.

If any other tips, that would be great.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Black$heep
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archdog75
Do you have a picture of the harness? How is that wire working for you, any problems because some people use the wire behind the custer or wire near the pcm.... Or is it the same wire but easier to get to.

Also, where did you tap for the reverse signal?

Where did you get the right angle attachment for your drill... I went to Home Depot and asked for one, and he acted like he had no idea where I could get one.

If any other tips, that would be great.

Thanks,
Justin
The green w/white stripe wire has been working great. I don't have a pic though. I should have taken one when I had it out.( I will next time I have it out)
I know its on the 12 pin stock harness.

I tapped into the backup lights in the back for the reverse signal. I wanted to make sure I got a good signal. I read there are other places, but the more I read the more I got confused and eventually just went with what I knew. I also used that for the back up camera install, worked great.

My brother-in-law gave me the angle grill. He told me be bought it at Home Depot.(could have been a while back, don't know)
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the 90 degree angle chuck at ACE hardware and Harbor Freight Tools.

EDIT: Its 45 dollars at ACE and 25 dollars at Harbor Freight... I could not tell the difference.

I first bought a trick orbital style chuck that adjusted to other angles as well for 35 dollars from ACE. Although it was pretty neat, it does NOT FIT for this C5 project. So don't waste your money on it like I did.

Last edited by DefenderC5; 01-04-2008 at 01:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic D-3 Install (lots of pics)