Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch/Puke Can Setups - What have you done to keep oil out of the top end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:16 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by rikhek
After following this and other threads I ordered an aluminum catch can with breather from drysump.com. If you're nice he'll probably give the "engine builder" price of $78 as opposed to his list price of $93. Their current cans have just one inlet. Will need to get a 3/8" NPT tee and run the fresh air line and PCV line to the tee and into the can. This will completely bypass the intake tract and manifold. I'll just plug up the PCV valve and fresh air nipple.

I'd like to thank Dale at tachitupmotorsports.com for spending a long time on the phone with me. He was patient and educated me.

Rick

http://www.drysump.com/catchcan.htm

P.S. They no longer make the plastic cans depicted in the picture.

Rick, where do you plan to mount this can? It's pretty darn big and the area on my shroud is largely eaten up by my Vararam.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

I have been fighting this issue for quite a while now with my big stroker engines. I have a 1.5 qt catch can with three lines to it. One from each valve cover and one from the valley cover. Nothing is going to the intake manifold. This system caught the oil but did not solve the basic problem, which is excess oil in the rocker area. I was collecting about 3/4 quart in the catch can after each 20 minute session of hard road racing and I had to add one quart of oil (meaning that 1/4 quart was sucked past the valve seals and being burned).

The issue is that so much oil is pushed up in the rockers that the vent system and valve seals were being flooded with oil as a result of the sustained high rpm, max effort (WOT) racing...

I changed to Smith Bros. .040" restricted pushrods and my oil collection in the catch can dropped to less than 1" in a coke can after 20 minute sessions and no oil is being burned...

With less oil up top, the valve seals can now do their job and the oil stays in the pan where it needs to be to lube the bearings.

These are my experiences, yours may differ, but it looks like David and Danny have similar experiences and advice...
Shirl Dickey
Old 07-22-2007, 01:07 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I'm sort of amazed. I installed this can before going to Hallett today:

After the 4th fifteen minute session I opened the hood to cool the engine and saw oil all on/around the can. The can was full and overflowed. I drained OVER 24 OUNCES FROM THE CAN!!!!!! In less than 70 track miles I put this much to the can. I was amazed.

My install completely eliminated the intake from the crankcase ventilation "loop". I plugged the PCV system intake and return and have the valve cover air "draw" going to the can as well as the PCV valve.

Problem solved as long as I drain the can every 2-3 sessions.

I had 3/4 quart of oil going into the intake in less than 70 miles.

Rick

P.S. The hard part was finding a place to mount the can as it is large. Put in on the right frame rail right below the bumper cover. ONLY place I found it would fit.

Last edited by rikhek; 08-16-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 AM
TOL8IWIN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AS far as venting, if you guys would not mind another question I have one. With my LS2 stroker set up, I used the FAST 90mm and went with the LS2 90mm T-body. The LS2 t-body has no fittings on it for pcv. Is it wrong to just have gone with a catch can between the valley cover and the intake. I capped the pass side vent and the drivers one still has the cap in it from the stock set up. Should I vent the drivers side valve cover? In 1000km with the new motor not much if any sig oil has come out of the catch can!

Thanks guys

Sean
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4lmUddbtZW8 , there are some other vids under Cs Red Devil Corvette.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Sean@OCCorvette
Racer

I see this all the time, especially with boosted cars. As you know, with more cylinder pressure you will get more blow by into the crankcase. If a N/A engine is sound with good rings and valve guides/seals, then you are filling up the rocker covers with oil and it has nowhere else to go.

Farmer knows what he is talking about. The PR’s with restrictors work for the reason MrEracer mentioned regarding flooding the valve seals.

I would do a couple of things to alleviate the problem and they are listed below:

Install the aforementioned pushrods.
Install taller rocker covers.
Run a line between the valve covers as low as possible and tee a line off of this and back into the oil pan.
Install a catch can/separator as high up as possible in the engine compartment.
Run a line off of the bottom of the catch can with a check valve to the oil pan.
Run a line as high up as possible off of each valve cover into a catch can.

Now you may not need to do all of the items listed here but on a boosted engine with a high volume/pressure oil pump all might be necessary.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Maxim C6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sean@OCCorvette
I see this all the time, especially with boosted cars. As you know, with more cylinder pressure you will get more blow by into the crankcase. If a N/A engine is sound with good rings and valve guides/seals, then you are filling up the rocker covers with oil and it has nowhere else to go.

Farmer knows what he is talking about. The PR’s with restrictors work for the reason MrEracer mentioned regarding flooding the valve seals.

I would do a couple of things to alleviate the problem and they are listed below:

Install the aforementioned pushrods.
Install taller rocker covers.
Run a line between the valve covers as low as possible and tee a line off of this and back into the oil pan.
Install a catch can/separator as high up as possible in the engine compartment.
Run a line off of the bottom of the catch can with a check valve to the oil pan.
Run a line as high up as possible off of each valve cover into a catch can.

Now you may not need to do all of the items listed here but on a boosted engine with a high volume/pressure oil pump all might be necessary.
^^^ Going on my car
Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rikhek
After following this and other threads I ordered an aluminum catch can with breather from drysump.com. If you're nice he'll probably give the "engine builder" price of $78 as opposed to his list price of $93. Their current cans have just one inlet. Will need to get a 3/8" NPT tee and run the fresh air line and PCV line to the tee and into the can. This will completely bypass the intake tract and manifold. I'll just plug up the PCV valve and fresh air nipple.

I'd like to thank Dale at tachitupmotorsports.com for spending a long time on the phone with me. He was patient and educated me.

Rick

P.S. They no longer make the plastic cans depicted in the picture.
Couple pics of the install:

Rick
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Thanks for the pics Rick. I'm renovating my garage and haven't installed mine yet.

Any issues with draining it? Do you have to lift the car to do that?

I was eyeing that same spot but I'm not sure if my Vararam will be in the way.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:09 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BQuicksilver
Thanks for the pics Rick. I'm renovating my garage and haven't installed mine yet.

Any issues with draining it? Do you have to lift the car to do that?

I was eyeing that same spot but I'm not sure if my Vararam will be in the way.
Very easy to drain. NO lifting of the car. I do have to lay on my side and fish it out from "inside" the bumper cover. There's a natural cavity there for the hose. The cover has a slot on the bottom where it's easy to get a finger up and pull the hose down. Get under there and look and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 08-21-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Catch/Puke Can Setups - What have you done to keep oil out of the top end?