C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear spoiler installation instructions

Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM
JOHN TOMARO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spoiler installation instructions

i recently purchased a gm full width rear spoiler (ron fellows z06 edition) for my 07 mn6 c6 coupe. i should be getting it any day now from gene cullery. could someone explain how it is installed? im having difficulty trying to locate the bolts that hold the stock spoiler on.
i have read on this forum where some guys use double sided tape and some use bolts and some use both. right now i need to know how to remove the original spoiler. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Have you looked at the C6 FAQ sticky? It's got quite a few DIY links in it.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 PM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

Remove one of the taillights. The spoiler is accessed from the light hole.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHN TOMARO
i recently purchased a gm full width rear spoiler (ron fellows z06 edition) for my 07 mn6 c6 coupe. i should be getting it any day now from gene cullery. could someone explain how it is installed? im having difficulty trying to locate the bolts that hold the stock spoiler on.
i have read on this forum where some guys use double sided tape and some use bolts and some use both. right now i need to know how to remove the original spoiler. any help would be greatly appreciated.
pull one of the taillights out (if your right handed I'd suggest the inner right light) reach inside under where the spoiler is and unplug the light. then unscrew the 10mm bolts and it'll come right off, pretty easy. your spoiler will come with intall instructions. just remember only 2 of the original bolts are used to go back on.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 AM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

I also bought my gm racing spoiler from Gene and you should be receiving detailed instructions along with the template for drilling the holes. Like others have said, there are a couple of good write ups with pics on the forum as well.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JOHN TOMARO

The "search" is your friend....my step by step DIY from September 2006

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...6+race+spoiler

Last edited by RBYCC; 07-09-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 589 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

I had to make my own template for my install
Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Remove the tail laghts. (#10 Torx)

Accessing the bolts (2 on each side) through the inner tail lamp holes, use a 10mm socket (on a flexable handle works well) to remove the nuts.

Remove the OEM spoiler.

The new full length spoiler will require drilling 4 holes. Use the supplied template. The center stop lamp will transfer from the OEM to the new piece. There will be two small screws supplied that will secure this piece in place of the two studs that were used originally.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

You MUST make a small "cut" for the install. The center rectangular hole that is there now, must be enlarged ever so slightly to allow for the new electrical connection to fit. Use a razor knife and VERY carefully cut a small section of the current hole. The cut is TOWARD the front of the car and DOES NOT go ANY further than the area where the "wall" of the hole sits. In other words, only the "floor" of the hole and NO vertical sections of the current hole area. This is like an 1/8th of an inch of material to be removed and as wide as the narrow part of the hole. The original "hole" is something like 1" by 2" You will end up 1" by 2 1/8". Do not cut any vertical areas out of the spoiler hole area.

Did that make sense?

Remove all 4 tail lights to remove and install the new spoiler.

I did it all in less than an hour. It is very simple just read the instructions twice. Do it in you mind first and then go for it.

Elmer
Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 AM
keg
Burning Brakes

It's an easy installation. The only problem I had was the two center studs that are reused from the original spoiler did not extend down thru the body far enough to attach the nuts to. I added flat washers to these studs and that solved the problem. I like the look of the spoiler, I think it adds to the rear lines of the car. I did mention this problem to the engineer in charge of the GM after market parts when I met her at the C6 birthday bash in April at BG. You'll do just fine on the installation. Just read thru the instructions twice and remember these were translated from Chinese.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I had no problem with the length of the center studs.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is on order from CFL Motorsports and I can't wait for it to arrive. They are painting it AO for me so I don't have to find a local body shop to do it. I hope it looks OEM. Then I will add the tinted brake light covers and I think the back will look awesome.

RBYCC, your writeup looks excellant! Man is it gonna be scarry drilling holes in my 2 month old, waited all my life for, Corvette
Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM
McClendons
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pcervone
Mine is on order from CFL Motorsports and I can't wait for it to arrive. They are painting it AO for me so I don't have to find a local body shop to do it. I hope it looks OEM. Then I will add the tinted brake light covers and I think the back will look awesome.

RBYCC, your writeup looks excellant! Man is it gonna be scarry drilling holes in my 2 month old, waited all my life for, Corvette
Glad that CFL was able to help you. The one they did for me was a pefrect match and gave good service. Fairly quick too, given a custom painted part
Old 07-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
I had to make my own template for my install
Bill,

You should have bought it from me! Shame on you for switching!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 07-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I'd like to start up an install section on my site for this stuff. If anyone has a detailed written report with pictures and wants to give me the permission to put it on the site contact me.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McClendons
Glad that CFL was able to help you. The one they did for me was a pefrect match and gave good service. Fairly quick too, given a custom painted part
I wanted to get back to you and thank you for the hook up. I'm jazzed
Old 07-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keg
It's an easy installation. The only problem I had was the two center studs that are reused from the original spoiler did not extend down thru the body far enough to attach the nuts to. I added flat washers to these studs and that solved the problem. I like the look of the spoiler, I think it adds to the rear lines of the car. I did mention this problem to the engineer in charge of the GM after market parts when I met her at the C6 birthday bash in April at BG. You'll do just fine on the installation. Just read thru the instructions twice and remember these were translated from Chinese.
actually if you look at the instructions, it shows not using those two bolts. You use the two supplied bolts instead to hold the light in and two of the four remaining studs to hold the wing on.

I tried for a little while to get all four original studs to work, then decided to read the instructions

Get notified of new replies

To rear spoiler installation instructions

Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 PM
keg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Atomic-Vette
actually if you look at the instructions, it shows not using those two bolts. You use the two supplied bolts instead to hold the light in and two of the four remaining studs to hold the wing on.

I tried for a little while to get all four original studs to work, then decided to read the instructions
Actually I did use the two supplied bolts. What a pain they were to install. As for the two studs I extended I have talked to others that have had the same problem. Maybe since I install mine GM has provided longer fastners. One can only hope they have.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

You remove the center two studs that hold the brake light in the original spoiler. Remove the brake light. Install the brake light in the new spoiler with the small screws that came with the new spoiler hardware not the studs from the original spoiler. Screw the removed center studs into the new spoiler along with the four supplied "slide in studs" that will go into the newly drilled holes. When done you have the 4 new studs on the outer ends of the spoiler and the reused studs from the original brake light that now will go thru what were the outer holes from the original spoiler. No need for any washers on my install. Plenty of stud to accept the nut. The center holes from the original spoiler (that also held the brake light) are not used with the new spoiler.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
jsbtheman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
You remove the center two studs that hold the brake light in the original spoiler. Remove the brake light. Install the brake light in the new spoiler with the small screws that came with the new spoiler hardware not the studs from the original spoiler. Screw the removed center studs into the new spoiler along with the four supplied "slide in studs" that will go into the newly drilled holes. When done you have the 4 new studs on the outer ends of the spoiler and the reused studs from the original brake light that now will go thru what were the outer holes from the original spoiler. No need for any washers on my install. Plenty of stud to accept the nut. The center holes from the original spoiler (that also held the brake light) are not used with the new spoiler.
Exactly how I installed mine. All you will have left over is the original spoiler and 2 original studs with the nuts. ($288 delivered from GMPartsDirect.com)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear spoiler installation instructions