C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 with a 62 frame value??

Old 06-18-2007, 11:45 PM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 61 with a 62 frame value??

What is a good 62 frame worth with a 61 body with a bad front clip with a new 1 piece clip? Missing steering column, seats, radio, soft top frame. has a hardtop. Doors are all there. No engine. It sounds like a candidate for parting out, or a restomod. Thanks DG
Old 06-19-2007, 06:05 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

just a WAG, but 8 to 10K if it has a drivetrain. definitely a prime candidate for a restomod, don't part it out.....
Bill
Old 06-19-2007, 07:38 AM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default options

it depends on if it has tags with it if it is tagged as a 62 then all you have to do is get the 62 doors and no know but you and a few forum people will know ill say it proberly worth 10/15 thou depends on location and how desperate to get rid of
Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by vettnut
What is a good 62 frame worth with a 61 body with a bad front clip with a new 1 piece clip? Missing steering column, seats, radio, soft top frame. has a hardtop. Doors are all there. No engine. It sounds like a candidate for parting out, or a restomod. Thanks DG
Need more information.
1. Does it have a clear title?
2. Does it have an instrument pod and gauges? Condition of gauges?
3. Is there a hood, soft top lid, trunk lid?
4. Condition of chrome and stainless?
5. Condition of windshield frame?
6. Transmission and rear end?
7. Is the new one piece clip from the firewall forward? Press molded or hand laid? I am assuming that it is not currently attached to the car?
8. Any suspension?
9. Original wheels and hubcaps?
10. Any other (besides front end) fiberglass damage?

Pictures would help tremendously.

Charles
Old 06-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I sold one similar to that, based on some information given to me by a long time Carolina builder's advice as to value. It brought $15,900 plus shipping without a top or a new front end to acompany it. It was a complete shell that needed extensive body work and had only the steering column, gauges, emergency brake assy, good title, windshield frame assy, door regulators, and differential /frame.

The buyer and I both felt that the project was well priced....especially for a resto rod. Most other stuff is not used in those projects and really won't part out for as much as one might think with all the nice repro stuff out there these days. Making recovery of some of the investment slow and time consuming...so some perfer to buy a bare project and buy nice new stuff instead of starting out with much more invested and then stripping it down to do a resto rod.....The 10/15K difference goes along way on a rebuild.

I made the mistake of buying a more complete/expensive car for the same type of project prior to that...I will have a lot of unuseable parts when I'm done that will cost more to refurb than they are worth....that car was never a restoration candidate either. So I learned something. Fortunately I figure I only wasted $7/8K ...could have been worse..

My 2cents...Stan M.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 06-19-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Parting out would not give you that much if a lot of the small parts are missing. You need to do a complete inventory to get a better idea on the worth. The small missing parts adds up fast. Most of the money you will spend is on the small parts.

The listed missing items are about 8,000.00 to replace.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by james Hufford
Parting out would not give you that much if a lot of the small parts are missing. You need to do a complete inventory to get a better idea on the worth. The small missing parts adds up fast. Most of the money you will spend is on the small parts.

The listed missing items are about 8,000.00 to replace.
This is very true and a significant factor for building or restoring an origional car. This car is not a candidate for that it seems to me ..so a resto mod would be a likely project (at least to stay under what you could just go buy a nice car already built for)

From that perspective...many resto mods have wise guy seats, idit steering columns with better t/s switch, better wiper systems, replica radios with new technology, C.D.'s etc.

A lot of the stainless can be bought repro ....and the chrome is about the same cost on either a resto mod or origional providing he has at the bumper cores.

A soft top needing everything...all hardware etc., is about $3400 ...cost about that to completely restore a hardtop which he already has. I think the soft tops are much easier to come up with than the hardtops...for whatever that is worth. In A/C cars it's worth considerable I would think.

He has a front clip that is worth $1500 to $4500 depending which it is ...so that's a big plus for a resto car...that and the top are good building blocks to start with.

If he has an instrument cluster that is very important (even though the gauges are replaced with newer stuff very often), windshield hardware is important and bumper cores. The interior stainless is important too...but other than that everything else has to be reconditioned like new...so just get new.....rather than spend a lot for a car that has it "all", but in "poor" condition.

Much of the small stuff on a resto mod is not used but replaced on the high end cars. Unless these origional parts have already been reconditioned they won't bring much....so what's the use of paying a lot to have them on a project that you can't use.

This kind of car.. if priced right would be good to buy keep the odd and end parts needed that can be used on a project that "can" be brought up to original and sell the rest at a break even price to a resto project enthusiast....and it's still about worth the same as you paid for it. Then everybody's happy.....and two nice cars have been built.

Unfortunately the guy with the high end resto mod has less invested, and his car is worth more ...generally speaking of course. Not that it's about money on these cars...or is it?

Unless I'm wrong ...then to quote Rosanna Rosanna Dana, "never mind"...

heh heh......Have a nice day...Stan M.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 06-19-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM
vettnut
Pro

This car does have a clear title for a 61 corvette. The current owner said the 61 frame is rusted bad and he still has it. He found a donor frame from a 62, so he swapped the 2 out. Hood, decklid, and trunk are there. Windshield upper header SS gone. tranny is wrong. rearend is intact. It is a rolling chassis. Wrong wheels. He is going to email me pix. Thanks DG

Last edited by vettnut; 06-20-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM
vettnut
Pro

No engine. Title with the VIN tag. All gauges with cluster are still in car. Also includes complete C4 front and rear suspension. Don't know if it is a dana 36 or 44. The one piece hand laid front clip is still in the crate. DG

Last edited by vettnut; 06-20-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

No engine. Title with the VIN tag. All gauges with cluster are still in car. Also includes complete C4 front and rear suspension. Don't know if it is a dana 36 or 44. The one piece hand laid front clip is still in the crate. DG
If you want to do it right ditch the hand laid front clip and go with press mold. It will add more to the value of the car. It sounds like you have a good starting point. I would say offer 10-15 and see what happens. You could use the C4 suspension and go with paul newman or someone else who does the same type of work.

Get notified of new replies

To 61 with a 62 frame value??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 61 with a 62 frame value??