C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Battery Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
CANOE U2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optima Battery Problems

I was hoping some of the experts here could provide advice on troubleshooting and possible repairs.

In August 05 I replaced my stock battery ('01 Vette) with an Optima Red Top after the stock battery failed.

About 10 months later, while I was on deployment, the car died on my wife in the garage. And no, it didnt get started again for 4 1/2 months!

When I got back in November, I got a new battery on warranty and the car ran fine while being driven daily until yesterday.

The battery is bad again (Had it tested at the store) and now I'm waiting for another one to show up.

Is it possible that I got 2 bad batteries in a row? Any ideas to other problems that I might be missing? The car has no other electrical problems that I have noticed.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Any battery on a Corvette (or any newer high tech electrical component car for that matter) will die eventually unless it's either driven to be charged up or maintained on a float charger like BATTERY TENDER PLUS, BATTERY TENDER JR. or a CTEK. The battery supports lots of electrical components that draw power down.
It's also possible that you have a component in the car that's drawing more current than normal.
I use only OPTIMA batteries in my cars, but if they're not driven regularly, I use a BATTERY TENDER PLUS @ 1.25 amp to keep them charged up. The longest OPTIMA battery I've had lasted seven years and was/is still going strong with the new owner by using a float maintenance charger.
Now, stand by for a few people who will tell you that OPTIMA batteries are bad.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Any battery on a Corvette (or any newer high tech electrical component car for that matter) will die eventually unless it's either driven to be charged up or maintained on a float charger like BATTERY TENDER PLUS, BATTERY TENDER JR. or a CTEK. The battery supports lots of electrical components that draw power down.
It's also possible that you have a component in the car that's drawing more current than normal.
I use only OPTIMA batteries in my cars, but if they're not driven regularly, I use a BATTERY TENDER PLUS @ 1.25 amp to keep them charged up. The longest OPTIMA battery I've had lasted seven years and was/is still going strong with the new owner by using a float maintenance charger.
Now, stand by for a few people who will tell you that OPTIMA batteries are bad.
I'll be one to say Optima(especially red top) are not that good. I've read countless threads about people leaving their car sit for 2 weeks (during summer or spring) and the red top dies out. There are two people I personally know of that have also had that happen.
I agree any battery left for a long period of time without a Battery Tender will die.... but 2 weeks? Junk. I left my stock Delco battery for 2 months in the winter with no Tender and it started just fine.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 PM
CANOE U2
3rd Gear

Default Junk

The car was only sitting 5 days the second time that the battery died. My wife backed it into the driveway, went to move it again an hour later and nothing. At least it will be replaced on warranty again this time.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Before condemning the battery (whatever manufacturer), you'd be wise to confirm that you have no electrical gremlins that are drawing the power down.
Is it possible that during the initial 10 + 4 1/2 months of non use, that a rodent hasn't damaged some wiring?
Anything man made (any battery) can fail. I've been using OPTIMA red tops since before they were even available to the general public. Our department fleet of over 2,000 vehicles used them as needed. The vehicles had as much or more electronics to keep powered. They didn't fail in AZ heat and they didn't fail in CO cold. That's why we tested them for OPTIMA.
In my personal use, I've owned eight of the red tops and never had one fail, but I use a float maintenance charger on those not used regularly.
Thanks for your service! Come home safely and soon.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 06-14-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

There is no reason why you should have to have a tender sitting on the battery if you don't drive the car for only 2 weeks. In cold weather I can see that. Its harder on the battery in cold weather. But in the summer, the battery should be able to sit a couple weeks and start right up. I have heard too many dead battery stories from optimas. I haven't really heard any bad stories about orbitals and I've had good luck with it.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 PM
bigbadbevo
Instructor

Not to dogpile on Optimas but as hard as I tried to like them, I too had issues with them. After the second one died extremely prematurely, I went with another brand.

I think Optimas were good at one point but now the quality isn't what it once was and it definitely doesn't warrant the premium they fetch despite the cool looks. Barring an electrical problem, any battery should sustain itself sitting idle for one week.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 PM
cedge
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have had my optima for four years, never had problems. the car sits sometimes for three weeks without driving, starts right up , i think there are other issues not the battery going on with these cars. i only use the battery tender over winter shut down, which i think is imperitive to keeping a battery in top condition.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:57 PM
CANOE U2
3rd Gear

Thanks all for the help, car started right up after putting in the new battery, will look for any possible electrical problems over the weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Battery Problems

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Problems